Dog fox

Was asked by a good friend/ member on here to knock a fox over that had taken a lamb or 2, went on Tuesday evening but drew a blank, friend went on Wednesday, he saw the fox but unfortunately couldn't get a safe shot off. I returned last night at 7 ish, set up in a field opposite to where the fox had been seen, put the fox caller GC350 in a hedge between the fields and proceeded to wait. At @ 8:15 p.m. the fox appeared just behind a hedgerow in the opposite field, watched him as he went along the hedge, then i turned on the mouse call on the GC350, he came through the hedge then stopped to look directly at the caller, fatal mistake, i sent a 35 gr Vmax out of the mighty little .22 Hornet, he dropped on the spot @ 90 yds. Good size and weighty, he was originally heading to the field with new lambs in it so hopefully i've saved a few of the little un's.IMG-20240426-WA0000.jpg.021f0f2135476bdd821dc6e78e4ddd60.jpg

Good job :good:

Just out of interest , what do you reckon the longest range would be for the hornet to 'do the job' on a fox ?

Im using my Creedmoor on them at the moment, and if I can see them through my NV scope, theyre 'gone' (the longest so far 400 yards)

Hi Rewulf,

Iirc the furthest i've shot a fox out to was @185 yds, i've hit paper targets accurately to 200 yds with the 35 Vmax. Is that 6.5 Cm or the .22 Cm, i'm getting a .223 again, should have kept the 1 i sold you, lol, i think the home loading lads get great results with 13.2 of Lil' gun and 35 Vmax bullets to quite a bit further than factory loads.

Hi jall there will defo be more and probably cubs too somewhere.

scobydog

22 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Good cartridge that creedmoor - presuming 6.5 ?

Yes , with 95 Vmax , fairly flat trajectory at 3100 fps, bit messy though !

6 minutes ago, scobydog said:

Iirc the furthest i've shot a fox out to was @185 yds, i've hit paper targets accurately to 200 yds with the 35 Vmax.

Im pretty impressed with that :good:

6 minutes ago, scobydog said:

i'm getting a .223 again, should have kept the 1 i sold you, lol

Still got her , shes got a 20 inch barrel now and sits in a AI stock , great gun thank you !

Thanks Rewulf,

I think the Hornet is very underrated,  mainly by those who haven't owned 1. I'm only getting a 223 for the longer range foxes and Corvids (on the ground). 

Glad the 223 is still going strong too. 

S

13 hours ago, London Best said:

I have used a Hornet .22 since 1995. Mine is a BRNO made in 1958.
It has taken hundreds of foxes for me. I have always considered it good to around 200 yards.

Agree with that L B, above 200 i'll use 223 or 270.

10 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Good shooting scobydog 👍

Cheers Stephen

On 27/04/2024 at 14:06, scobydog said:

Thanks Rewulf,

I think the Hornet is very underrated,  mainly by those who haven't owned 1. I'm only getting a 223 for the longer range foxes and Corvids (on the ground). 

S

Im using a .204 Scobydog - very flat - recoil of my air gun - ish - and so fast and hard hitting

Was using my 270 before this and found i lost the target after the shot 

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

Im using a .204 Scobydog - very flat - recoil of my air gun - ish - and so fast and hard hitting

Was using my 270 before this and found i lost the target after the shot 

Thought about the 204 before I got the Hornet,  had a 223 at the time so didn't bother.  Got a variation in for the 223 again so hopefully it'll be sorted soon.  Love the 270, got a t8 on it at the moment,  Tikka T3 19" barrel,  I shoot with both eyes open so tend not to lose sight of the target/quarry.  

Scobydog 

12 minutes ago, scobydog said:

Thought about the 204 before I got the Hornet,  had a 223 at the time so didn't bother.  Got a variation in for the 223 again so hopefully it'll be sorted soon.  Love the 270, got a t8 on it at the moment,  Tikka T3 19" barrel,  I shoot with both eyes open so tend not to lose sight of the target/quarry.  

Scobydog 

Fair play Scobydog - my 270 jumps about a bit under recoil - when foxing its nice to see the strike and the 204 as i would imagine 223 allows that 

15 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Fair play Scobydog - my 270 jumps about a bit under recoil - when foxing its nice to see the strike and the 204 as i would imagine 223 allows that 

Which 270 jall?, I have had a Parker Hale with a very slender barrel,  mates got it now,  that used to jump a bit without a mod, put a Ase utra jet z on it and the weight of that kept the recoil flip more than bearable. 

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

300+ acres is a nice little shoot, well done again on the effort you have put into it, you should give Packham and Avery a tour.

Just now, scobydog said:

Which 270 jall?, I have had a Parker Hale with a very slender barrel,  mates got it now,  that used to jump a bit without a mod, put a Ase utra jet z on it and the weight of that kept the recoil flip more than bearable. 

Mines a Blaser Pro Success - with a lawrence mod - Its nice but does jump 

I bought it a few years ago as a present to myself - but i would not buy another to be honest 

59 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Mines a Blaser Pro Success - with a lawrence mod - Its nice but does jump 

I bought it a few years ago as a present to myself - but i would not buy another to be honest 

Another 270 or Blaser ?.

On 27/04/2024 at 14:06, scobydog said:

Thanks Rewulf,

S

Agree. 200 yards is good to go. Not sure about the 35 V max though. The poor BC means that about the 200 mark the velocity is below the maker's expansion performance figure. The 40gr is better. Having said that the Hornet was designed a  varmint calibre and was coupled to a matching bullet. I use a Hornady SPSX at 50gr over 12.6gr of L'ilGun.