Advise please.

manthing

Hi all.
Looking for a new nv ratter gun. Not to expensive as it will possibly get bashed about on the farm, so brobably a "black" gun. I like stumpy guns, multi shot and probably an infernal pcp with mod/shroud. Don't need mahosive shot count as rarely go above 40 shots. And while not a "throwaway" gun it won't need to be a family heirloom.
It will be a .177
Was thinking of a new RM8 UC or possibly an Ultra/Scorpion TS.
Any other suggestions around the 4-500 kinda area.
Are the gamo pcps any good.
TIA
Mark

1 hour ago, manthing said:

Any other suggestions around the 4-500 kinda area.
Are the gamo pcps any good

You don't see much bad said about the Gammo guns, probably basic, trigger will need a tweak.

But don't forget you'll need a bottle and scope plus mod, but you should be able to pick up a full kit second hand if you look around, BSA Ultra or Scorpion would be good, but you see very few Scorpions second hand.

I have a sub 12 ft/lbs BSA Scorpion T10. I had it regulated by Phil Crampton at Ratworks (he's in the next village but one so only five miles away) and I used Bisley Magnum through it with a Hogun Decimeater. I have shot maybe fourteen or fifteen grey squirrels in the last six months. Shoot them in the head and they are dead right there. I put a cheap enough BSA 3-9 x 40 'scope on it and all works well enough.

Edited by enfieldspares

Definitely  stick with a rifle over a bullpup .for ratting the high scope distance is a real issue with bull pups for the closer shots (most will be ) 

A gamo phox should be pretty good light and short enough and not expensive  either new or sh .

Also look at the kral npo3  . Adjustable stock length  is very handy with nv rigs .

Hello, I have a P 15 in 22 and fitted a Bob P 3 D stock and it shoots very well with a 3x9x40 scope, the stock is adjustable so you can get a good eye line, last years ratting accounted for about 200 rats and that was in day light, night time i used my 22 Vermy with N/V for another 200, i am not sure i would go 177 but each to their own, A P 15 in 177 is light and about £300/350 second hand about £500 new, around 80/100 shots , Not heard any bad things on the Gamo GX 40 , There are plenty of Bull Pup type PCPs, if it is going to be used as described i would go second hand

Cheers peeps. Already have a walnut ultra thats been airteched so have all the necessary. 

Good to know the Gammo stuff is well thought of.

It will be wearing a photon that's on an Ixia at the moment, not getting on with that hence the change.

Is the Gammo stuff much different to the bsa stuff? I do like the ultra.

Much to think on. 👍🏻

I'm with OPP, the P15 takes an awful lot of beating, ignore the mutterings of spares problems or poor build quality - it's rubbish talk. Wouldn't touch a Walther if I won one in a Christmas Cracker (been there, still sobbing) but P15's don't come up often second hand and there's a reason for that - people hang on to them.

The gamos  and bsas share a lot of the same parts and tech . Mags barrel breech block etc ..

The triggers on the bsa's are much better . But the gamos are serviceable certainly  for some night time rat action .I dont know about the internal valving on gamo . But shot counts seem to be pretty good so can't be too bad (not like a kral or other cheap Turkish guns that seem to waste air badly ) .

Maybe find a sh ultra in plastic stock and drop the nv on that .the uninterrupted top rail is brilliant  for nv  mounting .

Ps .I also feel .177 is best for rats ,over the bigger cals  

2 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I'm with OPP, the P15 takes an awful lot of beating, ignore the mutterings of spares problems or poor build quality - it's rubbish talk. Wouldn't touch a Walther if I won one in a Christmas Cracker (been there, still sobbing) but P15's don't come up often second hand and there's a reason for that - people hang on to them.

The walthers are very front heavy .even the "ultra " short ones . Makes it far from ideal when scouting with nv at the eye .

3 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The gamos  and bsas share a lot of the same parts and tech . Mags barrel breech block etc ..

The triggers on the bsa's are much better . But the gamos are serviceable certainly  for some night time rat action .I dont know about the internal valving on gamo . But shot counts seem to be pretty good so can't be too bad (not like a kral or other cheap Turkish guns that seem to waste air badly ) .

Maybe find a sh ultra in plastic stock and drop the nv on that .the uninterrupted top rail is brilliant  for nv  mounting .

Ps .I also feel .177 is best for rats ,over the bigger cals  

The walthers are very front heavy .even the "ultra " short ones . Makes it far from ideal when scouting with nv at the eye .

Bought a new RM8 a few years back Stu, still having therapy over it.......