Carbon monoxide detector ?.

Hi gang.

I have just replaced the batteries as the detector was beeping. No fumes in house.  But it keeps going off.

Tried another set of batteries but no difference. Do you think the detector is knackered it is about 10  yrs old.

Thanks all.

3 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

I have just replaced the batteries as the detector was beeping. No fumes in house.  But it keeps going off.

Tried another set of batteries but no difference. Do you think the detector is knackered it is about 10  yrs old.

Thanks all.

How do you know there are no fumes in the house, it is odourless?  Only way is to try another unit in the same place.

CO detectors have a finite life and need to be replaced at the end of that life. Most detect CO by the way of a chemical or electrochemical reaction and once those chemicals have been depleted then the detector will no longer work and generally signal that they no longer work by beeping. 10 years is about standard for CO detector and you should have an end date printed on the back of the detector. 

26 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

CO detectors have a finite life and need to be replaced at the end of that life. Most detect CO by the way of a chemical or electrochemical reaction and once those chemicals have been depleted then the detector will no longer work and generally signal that they no longer work by beeping. 10 years is about standard for CO detector and you should have an end date printed on the back of the detector. 

Have just checked date on detector and it says 14-5-2013 so i will get a new unit asap.

Thanks all.

4 minutes ago, samboy said:

Have just checked date on detector and it says 14-5-2013 so i will get a new unit asap.

Thanks all.

my last 2 have been sealed for life types that automatically tell you if there's a fault or they have come to the end of their useful life.

can't fault the Honeywell ones.

Replace, it's a long sleep with carbon monoxide poisoning. 

I moved into a house back in early 80s, the gas flue had collapsed in the loft. Cold winter nights I'd get in from work have the fire on and be asleep soon after. I'd wake up from a mate knocking on the door for the nightly intake of a gallon of beer. Only ide have a headache before I had the beer. It was only a chance conversation a fireman raised the point of CO. It was only then we realised i was sleeping from the CO intake. 

£15 - £20 

2 hours ago, samboy said:

Thanks all.

Our local Fire station were handing them out free of charge, recently.