Fury v Usyk

Gordon R

Usyk by split decision. I don't rate Usyk in any top 20 of all time heavyweights, but he beat a very disappointing Fury more easily than a split decision suggests.

Despite getting beaten, his corner were telling him to just cruise through the last round. The charitable view would be that they were drunk.

I thought they were going to stop the fight when Fury was flopping around all over the shop. 

The ref stopped Usyk from landing a massive shot on Fury, despite him being on his feet (sort of, barely). If Usyk had landed more shots with Fury in that state I think it would have been game over there and then! 

7 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Despite getting beaten, his corner were telling him to just cruise through the last round. The charitable view would be that they were drunk.

Sounds like it.

I've just watched a 2 minute highlights,  Fury showboating,  hands down, messing around Usyk looked all business. 

Not good enough, that's a loss that never goes away,  yes they'll make more money from a rematch,  but it's a loss.

I don't know whether the Wilder fights have reduced Fury's punch resistance, but he was awful in getting knocked down and probably beaten by Ngannou, although he got the nod.

It was either John Fury - delusional - you are winning - or Fury's trainer - brilliant advice from round one - bang, bang. Fury will make millions from the rematch, but I think he should retire now. He won't and I genuinely worry about his future. He says he has nothing to live for, if he didn't have boxing, but boxing has deserted him.

Usyk is without doubt one of the top fighters ever to wear boxing gloves, as is Fury. I think Fury fought the wrong fight and clearly believed he was ahead. He allowed Usyk to bully him on to the ropes instead of owning the centre of the ring. I believe Fury has what it takes to defeat Usyk, but with that said, I believe there's no shame in him loosing to probably the best pound for pound fighter ever.

15 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

believe there's no shame in him loosing to probably the best pound for pound fighter ever.

Not sure I can agree with that one, best p4p would have put Furry away. 

Reading comments on the fight it seems Furys corner was a joke, getting the wrong advice and bad advice at that level should be unheard of, after Fury got the standing count he should have gone all out to stop the fight.

It really probably is all about a rematch and making more money, and if Fury won the second fight, then there would need to be a third £££££££££££££££

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

Not sure I can agree with that one, best p4p would have put Furry away. 

Reading comments on the fight it seems Furys corner was a joke, getting the wrong advice and bad advice at that level should be unheard of, after Fury got the standing count he should have gone all out to stop the fight.

It really probably is all about a rematch and making more money, and if Fury won the second fight, then there would need to be a third £££££££££££££££

I think people view boxing through rose tinted specs, in my view, boxers have without doubt improved over the years. Still different opinions are great and without them, boxing would be dull.