Coriander and charred lime steak.

JKD

Saw this in the Waitrose food magazine, and as I love a bit of ribeye thought I'd give it a go,,,, and it was delicious 😋 

It's basically a marinade which is heated up in the pan after the steak is cooked,,,, reduced and poured over the sliced meat.

Ingredients,,,, ginger [careful ! 🙃] garlic,coriander, green chilli, brown sugar, ground black pepper, lime juice, soy sauce, veg oil. This can obviously be tweaked to taste. 24hrs in a bag with the meat in the fridge,,,, suitable for other meats and fish.

Small leaf salad and sweet potato fries [not sure about those 😐] to accompany this. All went down a treat with a bottle of Peroni 😃

20240526_200121.jpg.a0ad2b82aa92efe3b0cd8ed5d0447558.jpg

The meat and greens look very nice.  I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes, butternut squash or siimilar.  Traditional 'spuds' in almost any of the usual forms (roast, chipped, mashed, boiled, fried) for me please.

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The meat and greens look very nice.  I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes, butternut squash or siimilar.  Traditional 'spuds' in almost any of the usual forms (roast, chipped, mashed, boiled, fried) for me please.

I only tried the sweet potato fries as they were shown as an option for an accompaniment. Not bad, but don't think I'll have them again, the same with roast sweet potatoes that I tried a few years ago 😬 I think a nice small boiled potato or normal fries would suit this better 🙂

1 minute ago, JKD said:

I only tried the sweet potato fries as they were shown as an option for an accompaniment. Not bad, but don't think I'll have them again, the same with roast sweet potatoes that I tried a few years ago 😬 I think a nice small boiled potato or normal fries would suit this better 🙂

The crushed roasted new potatoes (see pic under 'gutfiller' thread a few days ago) were lovely.  Boil a few new spuds as usual - when done pour away the water, put them on a bit of baking paper on an oven tray and lightly crush with a potato masher or similar.  Pour over a little 'chilli and garlic infused' olive oil, season (salt and pepper) and roast in the oven until done to your liking (maybe around 30-45 minutes to roast).  They were lovely.

12 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The crushed roasted new potatoes (see pic under 'gutfiller' thread a few days ago) were lovely.  Boil a few new spuds as usual - when done pour away the water, put them on a bit of baking paper on an oven tray and lightly crush with a potato masher or similar.  Pour over a little 'chilli and garlic infused' olive oil, season (salt and pepper) and roast in the oven until done to your liking (maybe around 30-45 minutes to roast).  They were lovely.

I do similar but in the frying pan while the steak is resting,,,, but will try your method at some point 👍

looks very nice...............the other chips which are nice are green plantaines (those big ole green banana type things)...cut them and treat them like chips...

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, JKD said:

Saw this in the Waitrose food magazine, and as I love a bit of ribeye thought I'd give it a go,,,, and it was delicious 😋 

It's basically a marinade which is heated up in the pan after the steak is cooked,,,, reduced and poured over the sliced meat.

Ingredients,,,, ginger [careful ! 🙃] garlic,coriander, green chilli, brown sugar, ground black pepper, lime juice, soy sauce, veg oil. This can obviously be tweaked to taste. 24hrs in a bag with the meat in the fridge,,,, suitable for other meats and fish.

Small leaf salad and sweet potato fries [not sure about those 😐] to accompany this. All went down a treat with a bottle of Peroni 😃

20240526_200121.jpg.a0ad2b82aa92efe3b0cd8ed5d0447558.jpg

That look fantastic , I like Waitrose stuff and as most of what I buy is reduced it don't make it and dearer if I shopped at Tesco or Morrisons , that would make a lovely Christmas dinner :drinks:

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

That look fantastic , I like Waitrose stuff and as most of what I buy is reduced it don't make it and dearer if I shopped at Tesco or Morrisons , that would make a lovely Christmas dinner :drinks:

Thanks 😊 My Christmas dinner is usually a rib of beef 'sunday roast' stylee 😃

I'm quite lucky in that I've got a co-op 5 minutes walk away and a Waitrose in Bluewater shopping centre 5  minutes drive away, making it my usual supermarket to visit 😀 Got an Asda similar driving distance, but only use that in desperation and for the nearest glass bottle disposal location 🙂 I do shop regularly at Tesco, when a store is on my driving home from work route.

1 hour ago, JKD said:

I'm quite lucky in that I've got a co-op 5 minutes walk away and a Waitrose in Bluewater shopping centre 5  minutes drive away, making it my usual supermarket to visit 😀 Got an Asda similar driving distance, but only use that in desperation and for the nearest glass bottle disposal location 🙂 I do shop regularly at Tesco, when a store is on my driving home from work route.

Our nearest Waitrose is over 20 miles away although I do go up the coast a lot , or to Norwich where there is one on each journey .

That is my first choice , followed by M + S and the others are for convenience use only .

MM

5 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Our nearest Waitrose is over 20 miles away although I do go up the coast a lot , or to Norwich where there is one on each journey .

That is my first choice , followed by M + S and the others are for convenience use only .

MM

I use Ocado - and they used to do Waitrose produce which was good - then they moved to M&S - which is also good.  I've no real call on which is better as some I prefer some M&S things, others Waitrose things.  Ocado service is very good.  Not cheap, but I have a 10 mile drive to nearest Waitrose or M&S shops.

For unexpected things, I use two local shops and a Farm shop (all very expensive and variable availability), Morrisons, which is not improving and becoming shabby as the store ages, CoOp - closest and fine for many things, but choice of fresh stuff poor.  Aldi stuff is good and it's a well stocked store, but it's the other side of town and parking is really tightly congested and lots of complaints of cars scratched/damaged.  Manageable in a small city car, but hard to find a space you can get a bigger car (and that was only a BMW 3 series) in and still open the doors!

3 hours ago, JKD said:

But Chris, your trip through the tunnel and back puts an extra £4.50 (£2.25 each way I think) on the shopping bill:hmm:

32 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

But Chris, your trip through the tunnel and back puts an extra £4.50 (£2.25 each way I think) on the shopping bill

Are you thinking of Lakeside, not Bluewater which is my local shopping centre ? 😆

Will be having pigeon breast this week [off work all week 😀] so watch this space 😉

33 minutes ago, JKD said:

Are you thinking of Lakeside, not Bluewater which is my local shopping centre ? 😆

Will be having pigeon breast this week [off work all week 😀] so watch this space 😉

Yes my mistake, thinking of Lakeside. Try to avoid both like the plague. However, I can understand you going to Bluewater. Right on your doorstep. 

21 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Yes my mistake, thinking of Lakeside. Try to avoid both like the plague. However, I can understand you going to Bluewater. Right on your doorstep. 

Yup, it sure is. Plenty of my footsteps in there ! 😁 Do go to Lakeside quite often,,,, B&Q for work materials etc and Tesco on the way home from over north of the river 🙃