COST OF FUEL......

trakker01

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and he reckons he will be saving around 70+pence per litre

no chance, cooking oil is that price now.

have a scroll down on this link http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/selecting.html

all the other details are also there

must have been writen a while back, both asda and morrisons cooking oil is now very near 70p per ltr.

My Dad has been using AutoGas for several years in a Volvo 440GL 1.8 and it runs fine. Prior to that he had a Ford Mondeo V6 converted and it ran like a treat. Unfortunatly the govt abolished the conversion grants in 1999 I think so it has slowed the uptake somewhat. Road tax can be a bit more unless the manufacturer has had your model of car "approved" by the vehicle testing houses. If its on the "LPG approved" list then road tax is much less.

Essentially autogas is running of a "surplus" of LPG that is produced during the cracking of crude oil to produce petroleum. So it never be a majority fuel source. It is a fantastic choice for major commuters however; though this group probably already made the choice to get a diesel car which means they can't use AutoGas.

If you can afford the couple of grand or so to have you vehicle converted then it will be well worth it in fuel savings. Presuming the govt doesn't impose draconian duty on it in the future. Petrol guzzling landrover are perfect candidates. Most decent conversions now use the "doughnut" style tank which will fit in the spare wheel compartment under your boot floor.

There are other tank options for non-conventional vehicles. You also retain your petrol tank and capability, fuel injectors can be switched over almost instantly. There is a no-fuel setting on the switch to run the gas out of an older carburetor based engine before you let the petrol in.

Performance is a little less than petrol but the drop in duty more than makes up for it. Get a decent conversion and it will usually be fine. There are almost twice the number of filling stations than there were in 1999. They are all listed online. This summer we went to a remote part of Wales and expected to have to do with petrol. To our surprise we found 3 active filling stations in the area, we were able to obtain Gas from all 3 without problems.

Due to insurance costs; I'm stuck with getting my first car via contract hire as it's cheaper than insuring a car I would own for the first few years or so. So I've got to be stuck with diesel :-(

mr_colt.