BASC responds to general election result

Statement here:

https://basc.org.uk/basc-responds-to-general-election-result/ 

BASC has a very busy time ahead on the political front and we can each help by getting to know our local MP, whatever their party, but especially if they’re Labour.  Invite your MP to see your shoot, clay ground, range or shooting business – many are new to politics and know little of shooting so let’s start them off with a positive and informative experience. By doing so you give your MP a constituency interest in shooting, can inform them of the good we do, and you could be a contact point for them to check in with if shooting related topics come up in parliament. - if you need support for your meeting email me at conor.ogorman@basc.org.uk  

3 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Statement here:

https://basc.org.uk/basc-responds-to-general-election-result/ 

BASC has a very busy time ahead on the political front and we can each help by getting to know our local MP, whatever their party, but especially if they’re Labour.  Invite your MP to see your shoot, clay ground, range or shooting business – many are new to politics and know little of shooting so let’s start them off with a positive and informative experience. By doing so you give your MP a constituency interest in shooting, can inform them of the good we do, and you could be a contact point for them to check in with if shooting related topics come up in parliament. - if you need support for your meeting email me at conor.ogorman@basc.org.uk  

are you joking🤣🤣🤣🤣

85% voted for brexit round here and our "red rag" MP voted against it at every opportunity in parliament.

4 hours ago, mossy835 said:

are they going to have time to see your shoot,labour wants to ban pump action shotguns, and put up the price of gun licence,

If you have concerns perhaps contact or visit your new MP and make your views known and let me know how you get on. Who is your MP?

3 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

are you joking🤣🤣🤣🤣

85% voted for brexit round here and our "red rag" MP voted against it at every opportunity in parliament.

Who is your new MP?

12 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

he's not new.

he's been sitting for at least 25 years and doesn't care about the electorate as he's just another typical self serving trougher.

What are his views on recreational shooting activities in his constituency?

4 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Could you not email him to ask? I asked my Labour MP and got a positive response supportive of shooting. 

to be fair i don't want to engage with the (as far as i'm concerned) waste of space.

like i said in # post 3,i didn't vote for him,i voted Reform who finished 2nd,because as i said,85% voted for Brexit round here and this waster voted against it in the commons (as did the rest of his ilk) at every opportunity.

Labour rules round here no matter what they do simply because this is an ex coal mining community and the memories of Maggie run deep.

i'm an ex mining engineer and was there during "the strike" but i wouldn't vote labour if Kier Starmer said he'd give me the next euro millions numbers👍👍

2 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

to be fair i don't want to engage with the (as far as i'm concerned) waste of space.

like i said in # post 3,i didn't vote for him,i voted Reform who finished 2nd,because as i said,85% voted for Brexit round here and this waster voted against it in the commons (as did the rest of his ilk) at every opportunity.

Labour rules round here no matter what they do simply because this is an ex coal mining community and the memories of Maggie run deep.

i'm an ex mining engineer and was there during "the strike" but i wouldn't vote labour if Kier Starmer said he'd give me the next euro millions numbers👍👍

Do you know any people with an interest in recreational shooting in your constituency that would be willing to contact your MP given that you do not wish to engage with him.

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Do you know any people with an interest in recreational shooting in your constituency that would be willing to contact your MP given that you do not wish to engage with him.

yep,loads.

and they all think like me.

AFAIK,out of everyone in my area that i shoot with there's only me on here and only 2 more are on any other shooting forum.

if you wanna do it drop me a PM and i'll give you his details.

11 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

yep,loads.

and they all think like me.

AFAIK,out of everyone in my area that i shoot with there's only me on here and only 2 more are on any other shooting forum.

if you wanna do it drop me a PM and i'll give you his details.

Thanks. Perhaps you could PM them yourself and ask them if they are interested in inviting your MP to their shoot. And if they need any advice to email me at conor.ogorman@basc.org.uk 

So far, for all the hundreds of comments about the general election in various threads I think there is only one person willing to contact their MP so far to invite them to their shoot. There are 650 MPs. 

On 05/07/2024 at 15:36, mossy835 said:

are they going to have time to see your shoot,labour wants to ban pump action shotguns, and put up the price of gun licence,

Are you willing to contact your new MP to invite them to your shoot?

9 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Are you willing to contact your new MP to invite them to your shoot?

I can appreciate what you're trying to do here Conor, it might seem like a good idea on the surface, but there are certain practicalities. 

First one is , many MP s would, if they had an interest , have already tried fieldsports or target shooting, others might be against it whatever.

But just imagine that the unambiguous who might be interested, receive a letter or email from someone they don't know , to meet up with some men who have guns ?

It would be far easier , and more official looking , if BASC were to approach the 650 MPs individually,  gauge interest, and then find shoots or clubs around the country to accommodate them.

19 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I can appreciate what you're trying to do here Conor, it might seem like a good idea on the surface, but there are certain practicalities. 

First one is , many MP s would, if they had an interest , have already tried fieldsports or target shooting, others might be against it whatever.

But just imagine that the unambiguous who might be interested, receive a letter or email from someone they don't know , to meet up with some men who have guns ?

It would be far easier , and more official looking , if BASC were to approach the 650 MPs individually,  gauge interest, and then find shoots or clubs around the country to accommodate them.

Thanks. We have been doing so, and will continue to do so. And anyone interested in helping out can post on here or email me at conor.ogorman@basc.org.uk for follow-up and advice on the shoot visit side of things. And every one of us could try emailing their MPs regarding support for shooting. I had a positive response from my Labour MP.

Are you willing to contact your MP whether to ask their views on shooting or to invite them to one or more of the shoots your run in your constituency?

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Are you willing to contact your MP whether to ask their views on shooting or to invite them to one or more of the shoots your run in your constituency?

Ill run it past committee tomorrow, but generally speaking, its a good idea.
The only issue I can see is that its quite a blatant attempt to curry favour with the MP, and they will be aware of this, but theres no harm in trying to build some bridges :good:

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

The only issue I can see is that its quite a blatant attempt to curry favour with the MP, and they will be aware of this, but theres no harm in trying to build some bridges :good:

They will come if you ask them Rewulf - i have had 2 and a candidate 

They are politicians and as you know tell you what you want to hear

Is it worthwhile - yes probably - It also makes you think how we present the shoot to the general public which in our case has been only positive 

Clubs can help with this too, Or they should do. Years ago wildfowling clubs like ours would repeatedly ask their members at club meetings to write to their MP's on various issues, I doubt 20% of the membership ever bothered. Today those clubs are largely a busted flush.

28 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The only issue I can see is that its quite a blatant attempt to curry favour with the MP, and they will be aware of this, but theres no harm in trying to build some bridges :good:

Excellent - thanks! If the committee agree a starting point would be to book a surgery meeting, or turn up, and explain things and the importance of your sport to you and others in the area. Then follow-up in writing to give the invite which will be handled by the MP's staff.

Can I just add, I will support the shooting community wherever I can. Be it meeting MP’s emailing them, whatever!

Im keen to show the UK that us gun owners are not something to be ashamed of or want us gone.

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot believe some of the negative comments in this thread. Assume the MP doesn’t care, assume he won’t reply etc etc. In other words you can’t be bothered even trying to influence your MPs thinking. If you try and fail at least you have tried. What is certain is if you don’t try you definitely won’t influence their views!

In answer to @Conor O'Gorman can BASC confirm every MP has a copy of the Value of Shooting brochure?

Finally, yes I am researching my local MP to do as suggested!,

On 02/08/2024 at 19:11, Dave at kelton said:

I cannot believe some of the negative comments in this thread. Assume the MP doesn’t care, assume he won’t reply etc etc. In other words you can’t be bothered even trying to influence your MPs thinking. If you try and fail at least you have tried. What is certain is if you don’t try you definitely won’t influence their views!

In answer to @Conor O'Gorman can BASC confirm every MP has a copy of the Value of Shooting brochure?

Finally, yes I am researching my local MP to do as suggested!,

Thanks, hope you get a positive response. We have written to MPs post-election which includes headlines from the report. It will be the staffers that open the mail so MP themselves won't usually look at brochures and reports and the like and all other stuff sent to their office from 'lobby groups'.  Letters from constituents must be considered and replied to. That's why its so important that individuals get involved from the shooting community. If you could print off the brochure and include that with your letter that would be great - or we can post a copy to you. Meeting with the MP is even better and best still a shoot visit. 

58 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Thanks, hope you get a positive response. We have written to MPs post-election which includes headlines from the report. It will be the staffers that open the mail so MP themselves won't usually look at brochures and reports and the like and all other stuff sent to their office from 'lobby groups'.  Letters from constituents must be considered and replied to. That's why its so important that individuals get involved from the shooting community. If you could print off the brochure and include that with your letter that would be great - or we can post a copy to you. Meeting with the MP is even better and best still a shoot visit. 

I picked up a copy at the launch at Scone so I can forward that Connor.