How to stop mice?

myuserid

I have a big mouse problem in my loft, I would normally leave them but I have quite a few important documents up there, so have started trapping them. I trap around 1-2 per day, its now getting stupid, I have even tried the ultrasonic things but they dont work!

Anyone got any ideas on how stop them from entering the loft, is there a particular smell they dont like etc?

Thanks in advance.

If you have cavity walls check all the air bricks at the bottom etc have the covers intact, then look at what food is about for them. If you have pet food etc about make sure they can't get at it.

Other than that if you've that many then poison is probably the best option

Actually what you want to do, is..................

Apologies. Where was I now?

Ah, yes, mice, erm................

Nope, completely distracted by Alex's top new avatar.

Fist of repsect from the Essex massive for that one fella :good:

EDIT:

Bouncey blinkin tastic.

Reminds me of property ladder :lol:

Guest raymond1
I have a big mouse problem in my loft, I would normally leave them but I have quite a few important documents up there, so have started trapping them. I trap around 1-2 per day, its now getting stupid, I have even tried the ultrasonic things but they dont work!

Anyone got any ideas on how stop them from entering the loft, is there a particular smell they dont like etc?

Thanks in advance.

if they are big mice put in for your fac,..... :good:

Whatever you do, since they're in your house, do not poison them. As Cranfield says the smell is something awful, and it won't go away anytime soon as they die in spots you can't get them! We've got a few mice coming intot he house this year and I've caught all of them using traps baited with cheese or a bit of semi chewed up snickers (works well), also heard that peanut butter is a good bait. You can also get plug in devices that emit a sound the mice don't like, I can't say how well these work though as I don't use them. Wouldn't be a fan of having them in the house as you never know what they're chewing (electric wires being one... Good way to start a fire).

You can also get plug in devices that emit a sound the mice don't like, I can't say how well these work though as I don't use them.

I have one and they dont work, its been plugged for over a year and still catching them.

Just bought several hundred dvd cases from my office, I'm going to cover the breeze block tops, if one moves or gets knocked over I know where they are coming from. If that doesn't help me I'm stuffed!

They are also turning up in the kitchen cupboards hence the reason why I now want to do something about it.

Its an old converted barn, when it was been converted part of the front and the whole back wall collapsed during a heavy storm. It was then re-built with breeze blocks then the old wall pinned to the front. So they must be managing to climb up through the gaps in the blocks.

Anyway I will let you know how I get on.

without completeley proofing your loft there isnt much that you can do to prevent mice from coming in ultra sonic devices dont work and if they did they would only push the mouse problem elsewhere. to find the main runs you can get some ultra violet tracking dust and a uv torch cost about £50 all in.but be carefull you dont spill/drop any then tread in it cause you will leave youre traces everywhere not the mouses trail .put a small dollop of uv dust where you see most mouse droppings then nex day follow the dust trail with uv torch.once you have located where mice are coming in use glue boards baited with a pork scratching in the middle very effective can catch many mice on 1 glue board once you have stopped catching mice for about a week seal all holes with expanding foam or wirewool.it is important to catch all mice before proofing paul

hello mate

i take it your using break back traps and not the friendly traps, peanut butter or any soft sweet bar works well. The ultra sonic you mite as well throw away, you have more chance of scaring them away if you sit in loft yourself. If you dont want to use poison stick with traps. As for stopping mice getting in you will never stop them.