alarms for guns

im under avon somerset, i have 2 shot guns for now,a chap lives about 3 miles from me and and has just payed for an alarm on his house,£600.dont know where he heard it from,he was told there changing buy the flo,and had to have one.not heard of this,i know anvon somerset like you to have one if you 6 guns.5 guns you dont need one.

Good old Avon and Somerset. There are 3 levels of security. It all depends on the number of guns, crime in the area, property type and if empty for long periods of time, etc.  One of the key things is the phrase "substantial number of shotguns." Level 2 security, where there maybe a substantial number of shotguns says that an alarm can be considered . It doesn't say it is required. And what is a substantial number of shotguns? Sadly police forces can interpret the manual how they want. At least the 3 counties/forces surrounding me do. 

I have posted a link to the Firearms Security Handbook (if it's allowed) 

It will explain all and you can wave that at plod if necessary. It's a government official document that us and the police are to use as a guide. It's interesting reading. Hope it helps. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/firearms-security-handbook

Edited by Fil
word left out

55 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

im under avon somerset, i have 2 shot guns for now,a chap lives about 3 miles from me and and has just payed for an alarm on his house,£600.dont know where he heard it from,he was told there changing buy the flo,and had to have one.not heard of this,i know anvon somerset like you to have one if you 6 guns.5 guns you dont need one.

If you are with BASC, contact them about this.