Text Message Abbreviations

webber

Whilst I dont condone the use of such abbreviations on our excellent forum, it is obvious that their use is being accepted. Thats fine if your either too lazy to type the word, cant spell, or just live a hectic life.

Ive tried my best to de-cypher the more common ones used by our members, and regret to admit that with few exceptions I have failed.

Could I therefore make two requests.

1. Use plain English

2. Would one of the regular users of text abreviations be kind enough to post a glossary of terms, to enable the not so cool, older generation to better appreciate your words of wisdom or otherwise.

Regards

webber

Jonni

Thats fine, dont knock it, but what do you do when most of the post is composed of ****?

I dont know why members see a need for their use, its not as though we are restricted in some way as with a mobile phone from whence this **** originates.

Abbreviations are fine, but in the right place, and to serve a purpose.

webber

Thats fine, dont knock it, but what do you do when most of the post is composed of ****?

:lol: Fair point Webber

The use of these abbreviations are as much a computer thing a mobile thing brought to use from our good friends across the big pond (me thinks) . I have to google them to find out what they mean. They are annoying when ya don't know what they mean. I think its more to do with the lack of typing skills than the use of the English language i.e. one finger typists

Red

I did hear about the girl, I believe that it was a GCSE exam. It would be just like some of the politically correct morrons on the exam board to try and make a case for her to pass. How did she do her course work?

Congratulations on your spellings you are getting much better, but I am no one to comment on spellings; the spell checker on Word goes into overdrive when I do a letter, but constant use does make you better.

I think that you, like Eugine just spell it wrong for effect.

webber

Cranfield

I am sorry to say that there are times in my day when I get bored; and I click onto pigeon watch for some relief. I read most posts, and do tend to do as you say and ignore the ****. But some interesting posts are ruined by the use of mobile morronise. Its a pitty that I should need to request a glossary of morronise, but thats life.

webber

Webber, i do see your point and am in agreement up to a point.

Thats fine if your either too lazy to type the word, cant spell, or just live a hectic life.

I think that it goes beyond that. SMS messaging seems to be the preferred method of communication of todays kids and it is inevitable that it becomes part of their vocabulary.

I think that we should try to be tolerant of our younger members and at least give them a chance, lest we appear to be a bunch of stuffy old **** :lol: .It is good that they are here and taking an interest and we should be encouraging them. If they do prove themselves to be ***** then I think that Cranfield has the right idea.

Lets not also forget that message boards have their own abbreviated language; LOL, BTT, ****, ***, IMO, etc.

Q :lol:

*** are you all banging on about ?? lmao !

No i'm with you on this one webber ... After trying my hardest to work out what some folks are trying to say (ern deleted one of my posts about it ... the swine ! ) i have decided that if the post contains more than 2 txt msg type words in the first line , then my attentions will be easily distracted to the other posts .

all the best yis yp :lol:

Red

Please read my post again. I fear that you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, so to speak.

Irrespective of your problems, some of your more recent posts have been very good. The one on political **** immediateley springs to mind.

webber

Q

Ive never been called a stuffy old *** before, most other things, but not that. I suppose that if the cap fits, ill have to wear it.

Its not my intention to exclude our younger members, in fact quite the opposite. They may get a better response if some of us could get the gist of their posts.

It may appear that it is I who is the illiterate one as I dont even know what a message board is. Therefore unless one of our younger members takes the trouble to do a comprehensive post, I fear that I shall remain un-enlightened as to the meaning of the jargonise.

Im sure that Im not alone in my quest to understand the younger generations handle, Ive just been brave enough to ask for help!

webber

Red

Please read my post again. I fear that you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, so to speak.

Irrespective of your problems, some of your more recent posts have been very good. The one on political **** immediateley springs to mind.

webber

Webber,

If you mean I spell poorly for effect so everyone belives I am illeterate then you are wrong. If Ern picks me up for spelling, I possibly may have a joke and spell poorly for the next post in that thread. I do not deliberatly try to spell wrong. Ohh if only it were all phonetic! :blink:

Webber, the old *** comment was not aimed at you specifically :blink:

Having two teenage kids in the house it is rare for a note to be left or a phone message taken that doesn't include some sort of abreviated text speak so I suppose I am pretty used to reading it.

I think that you are right, in that our younger members need to understand that for a post to get the attention it deserves it needs to be legible to all members. However lets not be too harsh on them, most of them do it without thinking, as it is a part of their everyday language.

Q :D

NOOOOOOOO not the phonetic alphabet red!! dear god i had enough of that when i was with the A.C.F. (Army Cadets) & was forced to attend a days signals course which i failed abismaly.

I must admit that im 25 & dyslexic. but even i have problems trying to translate all this text malarkey & when im reading a post thats got a few that even i cant sus out i get my missus to have a look she is 3 years my senior & she knows alot more than i do about this so called text speech.

unless one of our younger members takes the trouble to do a comprehensive post, I fear that I shall remain un-enlightened as to the meaning of the jargonise.

Im sure that Im not alone in my quest to understand the younger generations handle, Ive just been brave enough to ask for help!

Google is where I find all the answers to the ,IMO, IMHO, LMAF, LOL type shortcuts people use. Text message ones are harder L8R, M8, ABT2 and I HATE text messaging I would rather call so on the computer side only the following is my view.

Its not just the young, in general people who have been around computer forums/chat lines etc etc etc use these things and its up to us to catch up or be left behind.

I cannot type nor do I want to learn (thats for the girlies), nor do I care if my English or punctuation is good, bad or indifferent 'I really don't care' im from the country after all (hunting,shooting,fishing) and we don't talk proper anyhow. You cannot express you feelings on line just by typing correct english (well you could really but it would bore the tits of yee) OR YOUR ACCENT which alot of try to do. Smilies brought a new dimension to the internet along with shortcut sayings because we in general cannot type.

All the same it can **** ya off if a message is plastered in them I would tend to skip past it, if it had one or two I would try to find out what they mean as I don't want to at least try to keep up in this computer age.

This is not directed at anyone at all just me havin my tuppence worth.

Q

Thanks for the list, are you sure that this is only some of the bloody things?

I asked my question with an open mind. Its interesting to note that the main users of such abbreviations have been quiet when it comes to stumping up the info.

Maybe even they dont know what they really mean!

On reflection, I think that Cranfields idea is probably the best; boycot such posts. I shall however make use of the list should a post be of extreme interest and require translation.

Perhaps I should consider writing in l broad lancashire dialect, just like my garndad did. He was a stubborn old ******, if you spoke to him "propper" you would get no response; but turn on the lancy, and you were away. He once asked me why I talked posh! rest assured I certainly dont.

webber