am i a killjoy

jimdfish

I have just caught my neighbours kid ( he is not all there im sure ) leaning over my fence firing one of those crappy air pistols that fire out the little yellow balls. I could not understand why my new puppy was so gun shy until I saw him shooting at Her! I went mad and his mother came out complaining that the "gun" was only a toy and could not hurt anyone. Does anyone know the law concerning these as I am pretty sure that even is the gun is not illegal in criminal terms he must be commiting some sort of tresspass.

i did speak to his dad and offer to take the pair of them out and teach them some gun manners, but the father only sulked as his son did.

Jimdfish

It depends on what sort of gun it is and of course what age the boy is. Under 10 he is incapable of committing an offence. If it is a BB gun that has a spring mechanism then he is not committing any offence. If however it is one of these air soft BB guns which are powered by CO2 or some sort of pumped air then I think they are technically air weapons and he may commit certain offences to do with them. I.e. firing beyond the boundary or using unsupervised. They are not classed as firearms because they have no lethality so he couldn't for example commit an offence of trespassing with a firearm. Its all a bit technical I'm afraid

Hope this helps

Jim, sounds like the whole familly need a sound thrashing. But seriously, why not try the RSPCA as your dog was being abused. I know they are not everyones favourite organisation but if he has not commited a criminal offence it may be your only avenue.

Good luck and keep us all posted. :lol:

With plastic BB's I am nearly sure it is a BB gun, as such he is not breaking any laws as far as I know? Maybe ring up our good friends the RSPCA and tell them this guy is shooting your dog, if this guy doesn't respond to common sense perhaps they can sort him out :lol: Umm just realised my post is practically identical to lurcher boys, I just read your first post and replied. D'oh!

Edited by Teal

> I.e. firing beyond the boundary

Illegality number one

>They are not classed as firearms because they have no lethality so he couldn't for example commit an offence of trespassing with a firearm.

A banana in a plastic bag can be used to commit a firearms offense, as long as the victim believes it is a gun then it is treated as such, there fore it is very probably armed trespass, although obviously your word against theirs

I beleive as long as their output is under 1.35 Joules they are classed as toys so in theory he wouldnt need supervising

Just kindly point out that it is illegal, probably armed trepass, and maybe even offer to show the kid how to shoot responsibly, or suggest a local club. No point in getting aggressive with them or they will be so back.

Rarms

Point taken although it would be classed as an imitation firearm as a firearm is a lethal barrelled weapon and obviously a banana is not. You are right the offence of trespass can be committed with an imitation or an air pistol,so I was wrong. Apologies for the misleading info.

On the subject of these air soft toys with a limited power output there has recently been a stated case(Rv Street(i think)) where these weapons were classified as air weapons. although they are not sufficiently powerful to be classed as lethal barrelled weapons under the S.57 FA. definition etc.,which of course a normal air weapon is.

Regards

P

The Father of the child spoke to me again and gave me a mouthfull after I had again offered to take his his pillock progeny out shooting and teach him how to handle a gun. Give up, lost cause, I will have to get used to the fact that the neighbours IQ equals a lettuce.

JIMDFISH

How about getting yourself an air soft gun and when no ones looking shoot the little ******* in the **** see how he likes it. If he's not the full shiling anyway you'll do no harm and just deny it!!!

Not very nice or ethical i know but if someones ill treats my dog they get a boot up the ****!!