Lincoln or Lanber? or other...

Billett

Hi,

I've just had my first shooting lesson, of which i have to say was fantastic, i've got myself a gun cabinet coming for xmas, and now all I need is something to replace the air it will contain (SGC first obviously). I've been looking around at beginers guns, and reading threads and such.

I'm looking in the £400-£700 mark, and have come across the Lanber Sporting Deluxe, or a Lincoln Premier.

Does anyone have some first hand knowledge with either of these and could give me some feedback to help me decide? or possibly add some further guns to make my choice even harder :P

Thanks

Chris

My only worry about buying second hand is that I wouldn't know what's a good deal, or whether they is any hidden problems with the gun

25 years ago i baught a new lincoln no2 multi, heaven only knows how many shells its fired and quite a lot of them were winchester xx 52gm magnums, its been on foreshore and marsh, pigeon and game it still refuses to go wrong. cant remember how much i paid but worth every penny. the gun i had before it was a lamber but returned it after 3 weeks with a cracked stock....... last xmas i baught my daughter a lincoln premier 20 paid £595 again worth every penny.

My only worry about buying second hand is that I wouldn't know what's a good deal, or whether they is any hidden problems with the gun

Research. See what guns go for what prices. You'll soon spot a good deal. I'm not saying don't buy new but don't be put off from second hand either.

At £500 plus - get a Browning or Miroku. Far better gun with resale value.

Just avoid The Browning Medalist as it's not a real Browning.

I got a Miroku MK60 for £560, lovely gun nice balance but didn't fit me correctly.

You should be able to get a Beretta for around £600. I did!!!

Good luck.

25 years ago i baught a new lincoln no2 multi, heaven only knows how many shells its fired and quite a lot of them were winchester xx 52gm magnums, its been on foreshore and marsh, pigeon and game it still refuses to go wrong. cant remember how much i paid but worth every penny. the gun i had before it was a lamber but returned it after 3 weeks with a cracked stock....... last xmas i baught my daughter a lincoln premier 20 paid £595 again worth every penny.

got two of the same gun and still cannot break them :P:oops:

If you can find a used Beretta or Browning/Miroku then I'd say buy one of these second hand. Buy from a reputable gunsmith and insist on a warranty, you shouldn't get any problems then :P

I've looked at the Lincoln, it feels like a very nice gun. If you can't find anything used that you like then it's worth a look, but it's not going to be as good as a well looked after used top make.

I'm with GordonR on this one - second hand quality gun will be a pleasure to own and take care of. Cheap new, though good, has the possibility of leaving you wanting more after 6 months.

You can get a lot for your money, asking the right people!

Personally I ended up with a very nice 12g ClassicDoubles (its a Winchester 101 Trap really), that suited me straight off, and I can't fault and wouldn't sell (!) thanks to Gordon. I could have walked out and bought a Lanber/Rizzini (?) but I took some time working out what a good gun fit felt like and trying anything and everything I could...

From what I remember, the Lanber balance felt all wrong for me - compare it with the Beretta 686 they're semi-imitating.... (to my untutored eye).

Lincoln looks interesting, I've not picked one up though.

Browning/Miroku are very different beasts to the Beretta school of thinking. Just depends on what fits and feels good - you'll get that much more satisfaction if it feels good in wallet and in the shoulder.

<quick characterisation>

Beretta = quick, light, "pointy" and slightly less muzzle flip

Browning = (with the exception of the Cynergy) usually heavier, progressive,"swingy" and lower recoil (weight).

For clays, you can be really "quick" with the Beretta, snappy shooting, but myself, I prefer a smoother (weighted) swing, and can hold the weight.

Don't get tempted by flashy bits like extended chokes, porting, removable triggers, shinier engraving if the gun doesn't fit as well as a cheaper model.

(Hokay, my 101 is ported and a 32" barrel, but that how it came and I love it....)

So far I've found that for me, Winchester's seem to fit "out of the box" in the majority of cases, so I've picked up an X2 to have some fun with...

(though I've recently found that Webley and Scott seem to fit similarly).

If it fits *properly* and is in your price bracket, and looks good, use a bit of instinct and a lot of advice, and don't feel pressurised.

Worked for me!

<buys Gordon a pint next time he sees him!>

At £500 plus - get a Browning or Miroku. Far better gun with resale value.

Just avoid The Browning Medalist as it's not a real Browning.

I got a Miroku MK60 for £560, lovely gun nice balance but didn't fit me correctly.

You should be able to get a Beretta for around £600. I did!!!

Good luck.

i think the browning medallist is a nice gun, it fires well, has low recoil and we havent had any problems with ours and for £600 new i think it is quite reasanable :angry: