question for all 223 users

dph

i have the same gun and it absolutely loves the Hornady 40g v-max. Fox or munties wont tell the difference between the 40g or the 50g. In fact they do a bit to much meat damage when shooting for the table (if your shooting munties you want least amount of damage as possible). There totally flat out to 200 and only have a 5" drop out to 300 :lol:

thanks for the replies, i think the 223cal seems to offer a wide choice of bullets. ive been reading lots of reviews on lots of calibres and for accuracy they all seem to place the hornaday on top so i think i will start with v-max 40 gn. i tried very hard to find hornaday ammo for my hornet but it seemed impossible in the cambs area which is probably why every gun shop in the area advised me to go for a 223.

I would try a box of each, then use whichever gives the best group, its pointless going faster if they dont shoot as well as the slower, even the 50gr factory loads will be doing about 3000fps ?. Good choice on rifles, i have heard they shoot very well. :good:

There was a post not too long ago that said he had always used the cheaper rounds but treated himself to a box of the expensive stuff and was absolutely amazed at how well his 527 shot he would not be going back the his usual brand.

You will have to just tell me how you got on if you buy some because Ive just spent all my pocket money on a Lidle NV and cant afford the posh ammo :( :lol:

:lol: D2D

PS had a scroll, it was Ferretboy Dec 12th.

what is the twist, decide from that.

typically .223 are fast twist so will preffer a heavy projectile. Mine is a slow twist for a .223 (1:12) and likes 50 grain. Most 1:9 .223 will favour 69grain or something in that area, but may well shoot 50grains fine.

just a case of experimenting.

its interesting you bring the question of twist rate into it, the gun i have ordered is a cz527 varmint laminate 223cal. i assumed it had a 1-9 twist but i have just read an article which tells me that it is 1-12.....or do they come in two different twist rates?...it all seems a bit confusing.... is there somebody out there who actually knows for sure.

is there somebody out there who actually knows for sure.

Cz 527 is 1:12 twist so you should be fine using the light stuff,my .223 is a 1:8 twist and shoots every thing from 45gr (have not tried 40gr) to 64gr to virtually

the same poi at 100yrds :lol: My mate has a 527 .223 and it shoots every thing pretty accurate and it wasnt too fussy on ammo either :lol:

If i were you id go for the 55gr hornadys there a very hard hitting bullet and should shoot better in the wind :friends:

its interesting you bring the question of twist rate into it, the gun i have ordered is a cz527 varmint laminate 223cal. i assumed it had a 1-9 twist but i have just read an article which tells me that it is 1-12.....or do they come in two different twist rates?...it all seems a bit confusing.... is there somebody out there who actually knows for sure.

I believe it was different between the different models of cz, when i looked a few years ago they did americans, and varmint etc.... one was 1:12 the other 1:8

TBH twist dosent always make a massive difference, i know pleanty of 1:9 .223's that shoot 50grains fine and 1:12 that shoot the heavy stuff too.