Technical help - need a new home PC

Mungler

Dazzyboi - I didn't mean you couldn't get the parts - I meant try fitting them in to the case. Dell has a knack of fitting components in so tightly that anything other than that component seldom fits. Like I say - great workhorses in the work setting but go on to any of the computer sites and just check out what comments are being made about Dell by home users. Once upon a time folks spoke about AOH HELL now its Oh hell it's Dell. AT the end of the day Mung asked for comment - mine is simply that I for one wouldn't buy Dell and would advise agaijnst others doing so. No need for us to fight about it is there? :good:

Pushkin :lol:

Dazzyboi - I didn't mean you couldn't get the parts - I meant try fitting them in to the case. Dell has a knack of fitting components in so tightly that anything other than that component seldom fits. Like I say - great workhorses in the work setting but go on to any of the computer sites and just check out what comments are being made about Dell by home users. Once upon a time folks spoke about AOH HELL now its Oh hell it's Dell. AT the end of the day Mung asked for comment - mine is simply that I for one wouldn't buy Dell and would advise agaijnst others doing so. No need for us to fight about it is there? :good:

Pushkin :lol:

Alot of people do that, i once opened a pc from pc world and by christ it was like packing a thousand sardines into a small tin.

Jayward, give me 30 mins and ill come up with a spec

I'd only add with Dell machines that I've never felt the need to upgrade one for home use buy a decent one which is only £500 or so then 4 or 5 years later just buy another. Personally I can't be ***** with building machines from a load of components I just want it to work. I'm sitting here on a 7 year old Dell machine it cost about £1250 you can now buy a far more powerful machine for a fraction of that price. You can't beat them as a home user who just wants to buy the machine and it to work. If you have a problem the company is very pro active at solving the problem as they are very hungry for market share and have the right attitude to customer service.

just google pc world customer service , its appalling and there computers are built from cheap **** !!!

try this for a spec

Price total:exc.

£ 508.45

Chosen Components:

Assembly Charge

Arianet Xen MIDI case

Asus P5K-VM Intel G33 LGA775 Core2 Quad / Core2 Extreme / Core2 Duo

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 95W G0 Stepping (Retail 775)

Patriot 2GB PC2-6400 C4 Extreme Performance (2x1GB)

500Gb HITACHI SATA Hard Drive

20x Samsung SH-S202 20X IDE DVDR-W Black

17" Arianet AH Multimedia Wide TFT

Microsoft Black Keyboard

Logitech RX1000 Laser Mouse OEM

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 OEM

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Systems/

or Gladiator Trojan PCP3600 PC Package Quickcode: #27473

Quickcode:

AMD Dual Core X2 3600+, AMD 690G, Radeon X1250, 2048MB PC5400, 320GB SATAII, 19" Widescreen, 2.1 Speakers �398.99 inc. VAT

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Systems/Gla...productId=27473

Well, seeing as i work in the IT field i have built all my own pc's, but if you can, and if you are lucky enough to know anyone who knows about computers, get them to build one for you. You can get so much better quality components at such smaller prices if you do it this way, also its custom built, to your needs, to your budget. Also, you dont have all the awful useless applications etc that they pre-load onto the machine. If you build your own you can start from scratch, put there bare minimums on there which is alot better!

I will never walk into pc world again, yuk :good:

Sorry if im making your post look bad but this is a prime example of what im talking about..

"Asus P5K-VM Intel G33 LGA775 Core2 Quad / Core2 Extreme / Core2 Duom

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 95W G0 Stepping (Retail 775)

Patriot 2GB PC2-6400 C4 Extreme Performance (2x1GB) - Patriot? iv never even heard of there brand of RAM?

500Gb HITACHI SATA Hard Drive - Hitachi do not have a good reputation in the storage market, they have a similar reputation as some maxtor drives which are known to fail, would you want to trust the cheaper end of the hdd market with your precious documents? you want to have something like a seagate or western digital drives.

20x Samsung SH-S202 20X IDE DVDR-W Black

17" Arianet AH Multimedia Wide TFT" - again own cheap brand of monitor

For the same price you could defenatly match that, probably beat the performance, but with top class pc hardware.

ok lets see it you do that then ? whats the saying put up or ....Mung wants the best he can get i guess ,so any improvement will be a bonus !!!

plz note this is a built and tested price inc a two-year return-to-base (RTB) warranty provided by a long established company !!!

Good luck

never heard of patriot Website Established in 1985

and the monitor made by Digimate Website established in 1996 for the price there reviews are good !!!

as with all the aforementioned components ,

................................................................................

hahahah i got laugh your comment below show your ignorance !!! keep digging lol

post the spec and price you can build a better im genuinely interested (but with top class pc hardware.) your gona struggle genuinely Aria Technology are very competitive !!!

im not trying to be difficult i just cant genuinely see it !

did you see "plz note this is a built and tested price inc a two-year return-to-base (RTB) warranty provided by a long established company !!! "

not nocked up @ home and pray it all works well !!

(With regards to patriot, its a generic brand) ehhh im lost taken from

To meet the growing global demand for its products, Patriot manufactures its Extreme Performance (EP), Dual Channel (DC) and Signature Line (SL) products in it own state-of-the-art manufacturing facility with highly skilled staff in Fremont, California USA.

there sold all over the world by top Distributors hardly generic there branded and well known but WTH !!!

lol, knock it all together and pray? mate, iv been building pc's for years which is why i would never ever turn back and buy a pre-built one from a retailer.

screen2.jpg

You may think, ok, but why go for dual core when you could go for quad core? on the very reason that to be honest, he is very much not likely to use a quad core processor like its supposed to be used, does he does video rendering? encoding? etc etc, no, also there arnt many applications around that even use quad core processing. A dual core AMD is a very good CPU, iv got an AMD X2 4800+ in my machine at the moment and i do the lot, video encoding, gaming etc and it has never let me down, very fast.

Also the products mentioned above are all top performing pc hardware with years of being well recognised in the component market. Most compontants come lifetime gaurentee from the original manufacturer.

After trying a few others over the years, I'm happy to stick with dell.

I got one two years ago - only a Celeron processor, but 17 inch flat screen monitor. I saved a bundle when I opted for the 90 day CAR warranty rather than the full year one. The whole shebang was about £250, and I have never had any sort of problem with it - unlike my last one - a COMPAQ - and the "jigsaw" self-built one before that again.

I don't think there is much of a risk if you stick to a big outfit who have a reputation to lose if they start to churn out rubbish machines.

I am all in favour of cutting out middle men as much as possible - and PC WORLD are definitely middle men. I do not like buying anything from them.

Ok chaps, after all that I have opted for this:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/s...ormationSection

Not sure if the direct link works, but the product code is 189900 and it's a Advent T9610 + 20" AOC Widescreen Tft Monitor for £629.

lol plz feel free to tell of your tales of tales of woe and torment regarding the highly experienced customer service staff ....

highly experienced due to the shear volume of complaints and issues they deal with not technically experience :good::lol: :lol: :lol:

i offer my sincere condolences in this terrible time and wish you good heath , the reason for this is your going to suffer heavily with high blood pressure should it ever go wrong !!! and you will be without your pc for extended periods , i hear separation anxiety can be helped with beta blockers hahahah

no realy i admire your gall ... After all if it ever breaks down be ashured they WILL blame you so expect to pay (see terms of guarantee )

You can afford it , dont think a well written letter will resolve this they have a legal team the size of the chinese army !!

i wish you luck ...

Ok chaps, after all that I have opted for this:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/s...ormationSection

Not sure if the direct link works, but the product code is 189900 and it's a Advent T9610 + 20" AOC Widescreen Tft Monitor for £629.

Noo, you gave in to the purple shirt brigade :good: neennoorr neeenooorr, can i take your money please...Slow? how about £60 for a healthcheck :lol:

Mung - there was me thinking you were quite intelligent too :birthday: PC WORLD - my my my. :birthday::yay::yay:

Here is a link to a company with a solid gold reputation and they do good service and repairs as well.

http://www.evesham.com/products/info.asp?e...12-3C67174A52A5

The one on that page seems to fit your budget and offers a really good deal for what you are paying to PC WORLD.

Ah well - horses and water spring to mind.

All the best

Pushkin :yay:

Mung - there was me thinking you were quite intelligent too :birthday: PC WORLD - my my my. :birthday::yay::)

Here is a link to a company with a solid gold reputation and they do good service and repairs as well.

http://www.evesham.com/products/info.asp?e...12-3C67174A52A5

The one on that page seems to fit your budget and offers a really good deal for what you are paying to PC WORLD.

Ah well - horses and water spring to mind.

All the best

Pushkin B)

Can't recommend them enough. Had a nearly 3 year tower from them with a P4 and 1Gb Ram etc. Motherboard went after being struck by lightening which came down the phone line. They collected it Monday was back Friday with new motherboard, new dual core chip, new memory. Lightening fast ( sorry bad pun :yay: ) Brilliant service or what???? And not one scheckle to pay :yay::lol: :lol: :lol::)

Just came across this and as the thread had lots of attention i though i would post it as tbh its a really good deal for a cheap pc !!!

Dell Vostro 200 base unit. 2.2Ghz C2D, 2gig, 320Gb, dvdrw, Vista or XP home NOW £175!

Base

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4500 Processor (2.20GHz,800MHz,2MB cache)

Microsoft Operating System

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic - English

Enhanced Service Packs

Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support

Monitor

Monitor Not included

Memory

2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]

Hard Drive

320GB Dual Hard Drive Non RAID (2x160GB - 7200rpm)

Video Card

Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X3100

Optical Devices

16x DVD +/- RW Drive

Keyboard

Dellâ„¢ Entry Quietkey USB Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)

Mouse

Dell 2 Button USB Optical Mouse

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...212&lid=122756

£175.08 Includes VAT & Shipping

Reduce warranty to 1 yr collect and return

now thats a good price !! be quick if you need a cheap pc