First Time On large Permission

ShaggyRS6

I wenr out today to do some mooching around one of the large farms I have. I was not prepared for the scale of it to be honest, or the terrain. It has everything you could need. Big long open areas up to about 800 yards. Woods, hedges, hills, small inclines, even a little valley, perfect for zeroing you can shoot right across into a grass bank, also this is where the rabbit problem is, marked in red.

I saw everyting, Pigeon, lots of Crow's, Magpies, 1000's of rabbits and 3 foxes sniffing around the woods.

Ther landy performed really well too, although to wet for some places has the inclines can be very steep. I would not want to do that in the winter without a winch. It was cold and blowy and as I have a tooth ache I only spent 3 hours looking around and did not scratch the surface.

I think I will be spending most of my time here :o

perm1.jpg

little tip if its getting wet enough to get near needing a winch you might be about to wind the landowner up with the ruts you're making :lol:

:unsure:

Not a criticism lee, your permission and only you know what you are allowed to do etc, but I wouldn't be driving around the fields at the moment given how wet its been.

It looks a fantastic permission and the bank sounds excellent for zeroing, jealous of Hertfordshire :lol:

Edited by pin

Round the edges was ok Pin as they drive around in all weather. However I did go up a lane and chew the grass up. I wont be doing that again and rung the Farmer today to apologies. He told me I was a naughty boy but not to worry as it will repair soon enough.

Fair comment mate!

I misjudged the conditions mid November and went for a quick spin with garyb off here after some rabbits. One corner of the field I know gets waterlogged and I just wasn't thinking. I literally had no choice when I realised I was already in to it and had to gun it or I'd have got stuck :lol:

On the way back was worse as there's an old plough on that corner so I couldn't get the momentum I wanted or I'd have hit it coming back (no better way out of that field) - so I had to rock it side to side under power to get round.

Like you I phoned up, this farmer is a real good old boy, he simply said "Aye, it's a ****** that corner, lost count of the times I've got the disco stuck". He wouldn't accept my apology simply saying "your a clever lad, you won't do it again"

:unsure:

been there got the T-shirt theres not much thats more embarrasing than having to phone to get a tractor to get you out, in my case I'd given someone a lift to pick up a muntjack went onto the headland as it wasn't that wet and went over the tramline to find the puddle in it was the best part of 2 foot deep :unsure: fourtrak sat there bumper on the floor and me muttering a few expetives. My mate the farmer still hasn't let me live it down and it was best part of 10 years ago.

What they get the hump about is people driving in rutts and just making them deeper as they are hard to re-instate, if you drive to the side of them it fills them in and stops them getting too deep

I wenr out today to do some mooching around one of the large farms I have. I was not prepared for the scale of it to be honest, or the terrain. It has everything you could need. Big long open areas up to about 800 yards. Woods, hedges, hills, small inclines, even a little valley, perfect for zeroing you can shoot right across into a grass bank, also this is where the rabbit problem is, marked in red.

I saw everyting, Pigeon, lots of Crow's, Magpies, 1000's of rabbits and 3 foxes sniffing around the woods.

Ther landy performed really well too, although to wet for some places has the inclines can be very steep. I would not want to do that in the winter without a winch. It was cold and blowy and as I have a tooth ache I only spent 3 hours looking around and did not scratch the surface.

I think I will be spending most of my time here :unsure:

perm1.jpg

how do you get a pictur of your shoot on hear is it google earth?

I assumed a steep slope, so will be interested in the reply :lol:

Big long open areas up to about 800 yards. Woods, hedges, hills, small inclines, even a little valley, perfect for zeroing you can shoot right across into a grass bank, also this is where the rabbit problem is, marked in red

Like i said, read the first post and you will see it :unsure:

Edited by tulkyuk

3 foxes in daylight :blink: i will wait for the write up with the lamp :lol:

Hah, I did not get them. I saw them whilst driving around in the landy. I thought it was someone out with dog but then clocked the big brushes :lol:

Never thought you had , but if youv'e seen three in daylight wait till you lamp it :good:

Why are there red bits on the map or am i being totally ignorant and everyone else knows what/why they are there.... :lol:

Read the first post - you'll work it out i'm sure

:o

ok ok...i must learn to read properly and not glance through..... :good:

Me too... :oops:

Looks like a good permission Lee, however if the farmer is growing a crop in the red field you may want to consider trying to gain permission in that small wood, permission to reduce rabbit numbers using ferrets ( don't ask for shooting that may come later), this will help the farmer out loads and he'll think you are that bit more professional about your vermin control duties ( IE your not just there to shoot but take a gen interest in reducing numbers), act quickly before the rabbits start breeding and I'm sure some one local would help out with ferrets. :good: