ferret wont come out

cjw

He will come out when he is good and ready, like others said, he might just be up for air he might be just looking, he might be having a little rest "ish" normally a ferret will come out when he is good and ready.

Whatever you do as a rule dont tempt him out with food etc, will result in a bad bad near none fixable problem.

if you make a grab for him, you can make him very nervous.......if he has just started doing this perhaps he's been nipped or rough handled......

Sometimes you cant empt em out by putting a dead rabbit in the entrance...but they soon get wise to this after a while....

welcome to the world of ferreting.......is bloody annoying isnt it!!!!!!!! :blink: :good:

The best thing to do is to wait it out, never try to pick them up until they are clear of the earth.

You can offer your hand and let them have a smell , so they know its safe.

I also make sure I am kneeling, or squatting when I pick them up, don't forget how big you look when looming over a ferret, especially a young one on their first working season.

If it is time to go home, then try to tease him out with a dead rabbit.

The best thing to do is to wait it out, never try to pick them up until they are clear of the earth.

You can offer your hand and let them have smell , so they know its safe.

I also make sure I am kneeling, or squatting when I pick them up, don't forget how big you look when looming over a ferret, especially a young one on their first working season.

If it is time to go home, then try to tease him out with a dead rabbit.

Just add to that try slitting the rabbit open and "waft" the scent from the warm entrails down the hole with a cap.

Has worked many times, failing that get your next Ferts from LB, ideal little workers.

:good: D2D

The general idea is to get the ferret to "bolt" the rabbit out. There are loads of methods for catching the resulting evictee. Purse nets / long nets / gate nets all designed to entangle mr bunny so he can be rapidly despatched. Some people bolt them to a gun, others might bolt them to other things but I don't think I can talk about that here because of our stupid laws :no:

Ferrets are very capable hunters and will easily take on and kill a rabbit, the idea is for them not to kill underground but it happens. Good ferrets will move off the kill and come out, good ferrets will also embarrass you just as you say "I never have to dig to my ferts" :good:

Ferreting kit will generally always include a spade. These days most people use electronic collars on the ferret combined with a locator, the good ones can locate down to 16ft.

hello gents I would like to know does the ferret chase the rabbit out for you to shoot or does the ferret kill it and drag it out . I know it is a dumb question .But we cannot use anything like that we use beagle hounds .If the rabbit makes the hole he has it made

Is it just because you don't use such things or is it not allowed to use ferrets (or similar) ?

Some people put a dead rabbit on the outside of a hole and when the fert has latched on pull the rabbit out with the ferret on it. It helps to do this properly and not fall off the back whilst trying to do it!

Hear that FM!!! :good:

:angry: I will have you know tumbling several meters down a steep incline headfirst with a rabbit in my hand after the ferret decided to walk out and was about to go off on one before I made a grab for her is a very serious matter.

I swear even the ferret was laughing...

Get yourself a couple of bits of pipe and play with your hob in the garden. Just sit and let him come right out and give him a bit of liver or a splash of milk in the palm of your hand other times just let him come out and wander round and dont pick him up just stroke him on the ground after a couple of weeks of doing this daily you can bet he will come right out and not sulk at the mouth of the burrow . Be gentle when your picking him up as you can nearly alway bet the sulking starts in a ferret when a rabbit bolts and the owner picks up the ferret roughly whilst trying to deal with the rabbit in a net .