decoying tip

bart37

let me get this straight you are implying that 'that out of range bird' is more likely to come in because two tiny little eye lids have been removed, im pretty sure eyelids being removed is only a detail birds will spot if they are close enough to shoot and even then it is unlikely they will care, if a bird is willing to land down beside plastic decoys, which they are frequently they are hardly going to notice if a fellow bird has eye lids or not,

i appreciate you leaving tips and hints they can be really helpfull but please forgive me for my rant and apreciate it is a forum designed for people to reply, i am not just being annoying.

james

when settin up dead woodies as decoys i always remove the bottom eye-lids,the more natural they look the better,that out of range bird is more likely to come in ,,try it.

You must have just read the same very old book that I read yonks ago....... trust me that would make not a tad of difference.

:good: D2D

In my case it wouldn't make a difference if I cut off eye lids or little colourful flags up there ar**s, the lil blighters just won;t come into my deeks!!!!!!! :good::):)

Take this afternoon, froze off my backside for 2 pigeons but I had at least 600 woodies flying right over my head !!!!!

DO you ever feel like giving up?:)?:lol:?

:P:good::birthday:

In my case it wouldn't make a difference if I cut off eye lids or little colourful flags up there ar**s, the lil blighters just won;t come into my deeks!!!!!!! :):):)

Take this afternoon, froze off my backside for 2 pigeons but I had at least 600 woodies flying right over my head !!!!!

DO you ever feel like giving up?:lol:?????

:P:good::birthday:

With 600 flying over your head you must have been on a flightline to somewhere, maybe find out where and get in there?

Were you using a magnet, usually brings them in. Dont give up, its the naff days that make the good days outstanding ???

:P:birthday: I don't think so.

I've had em coming into the deeks when some have been on their side ( They were just having an afternoon nap) and when a gust of wind blew the pigeon in the flapper frame out of it and was just swinging in the wind on the tip wing feathers. (perhaps he was practising his aerobatic manoeuvres)

Mind you they dont hang about long.

Still what the heck if you think it makes a difference cut em off. :good:

:P:birthday: I don't think so.

I've had em coming into the deeks when some have been on their side ( They were just having an afternoon nap) and when a gust of wind blew the pigeon in the flapper frame out of it and was just swinging in the wind on the tip wing feathers. (perhaps he was practising his aerobatic manoeuvres)

Mind you they dont hang about long.

Still what the heck if you think it makes a difference cut em off. :good:

yes i agree we all have days when they come in whatever positions they in,,,but how many days u had when birds just couldnt commit to comin in range,,surely the more convincing they look the better....oh an by the way no cuttin needed ,,finger an thumb 1 sec job done....

This is a suggestion from the "old days" and I have no idea if it works, or not.

I have never had the patience (or manual dexterity), to cut off the bottom eyelids of a dead pigeon and give it a try.

Somebody must have had some success with it, the idea has been around a long while.

surprised by how everybody thinks it involves a knife an cuttin them off.. :good: finger an thumb 1sec job an done.....but there i only been shootin an studyin woodies for 30 years

let me get this straight you are implying that 'that out of range bird' is more likely to come in because two tiny little eye lids have been removed, im pretty sure eyelids being removed is only a detail birds will spot if they are close enough to shoot and even then it is unlikely they will care, if a bird is willing to land down beside plastic decoys, which they are frequently they are hardly going to notice if a fellow bird has eye lids or not,

i appreciate you leaving tips and hints they can be really helpfull but please forgive me for my rant and apreciate it is a forum designed for people to reply, i am not just being annoying.

james

forgiven we all have a right to air our views(well at moment til government takes that as well, :good: )..diff people set decoys up diff agree,,i set what i call a marker bird,this tells me or any guest i have with me,,wether woodie in killin range,this is the most important decoy to me,,,the better it looks more chance of enterin kill zone.....how good is a pigeons eye sight,,some days i think they can c things i cant,,and other days they blind as bats...i merely try an maximize my chances.

james

forgiven we all have a right to air our views(well at moment til government takes that as well, :P )..diff people set decoys up diff agree,,i set what i call a marker bird,this tells me or any guest i have with me,,wether woodie in killin range,this is the most important decoy to me,,,the better it looks more chance of enterin kill zone.....how good is a pigeons eye sight,,some days i think they can c things i cant,,and other days they blind as bats...i merely try an maximize my chances.

:birthday: We agree on that part, I use a stick from the hedgerow as a marker 40 good paces out front. Just to confirm in the heat of the moment my max killing zone, its easy to blat away at extreme ranges and I find this useful.

Range marking with a stick, or a decoy is good sense and something I always do.

When pigeons seem to be avoiding my decoys from a long range, I go and inspect them and often find one has fallen over, or a dead bird has come off the cradle etc.

Yet other days, I have had shot birds laying upside down on drilling in full view and still the birds kept coming in.

Nobody said it was easy.

There's always some pillock suggesting removing the eyelids from dead birds, or using plastic padding to make a decoy's crop look full. There was one shooter who even called into a local shop to buy some breakfast cereal, which he piled in front of his deeks. Pillocks the lot of 'em, any pigeon close enough to notice the difference is close enough to be shot DEAD!!!

There was one shooter who even called into a local shop to buy some breakfast cereal, which he piled in front of his deeks.

:blush::lol::lol::lol: Sorry:: I nearly just sprayed the monitor with tea. :no::lol::lol::lol:

Did he find a brand that was more palatable to the pigeons. :lol::lol:

Sorry Bart I didn't mean to take the p\\ ss out of you and your idea. I'm just laughing at the idea of carting a packet of corn flakes :lol::lol: out to the deeks. Like I said if you think it helps do it. It wont do any harm but I dont think that I'm going to let them get in that close to the decoys without joining them. If you follow.

Edited by fortune

There's always some pillock suggesting removing the eyelids from dead birds, or using plastic padding to make a decoy's crop look full. There was one shooter who even called into a local shop to buy some breakfast cereal, which he piled in front of his deeks. Pillocks the lot of 'em, any pigeon close enough to notice the difference is close enough to be shot DEAD!!!
i resent being called a pillock,,,obviously u an expert on how far a pigeon can c. :blush: .i maintain it works ..an with more an more people using an airgun now they might just find the idea useful...so i suggest u go read a book on manners,,good instead of bad!!!!!!!!

While entitled to his opinion I think this poster has lost the plot. Hurling abuse, for no apparent reason.

Not only does it show the total lack of knowledge of Columba Polumbus. It also shows his lack of human psychology! In respect of, if something works for you, then you will have more confidence. Nothing breeds success like confidence. If it works for you then go for it.

Why slate another shooter for sharing an idea?tip that he/she has come across and found to work for them?

Like most things in life you have a choice either you give it a go or you don't simple, I'm sure over the years there have been a lot of what have seemed daft

ideas but some how strangely they work, as for me i like to keep an open mind and will try anything when nothing seems to work got nawt to loose :blush:

P igeons

I n close enough to

L ook at these

L aughable suggestions

O ught to be

C lose enough to be

K illed

I read of another pigeon shooter, who asked a well known pigeon expert, if he knew the difference between male and female pigeons, because he thought his dead bird decoys ought to include the correct ratio of male to female birds. :huh:

PILLOCKS!!! <_<

Why slate another shooter for sharing an idea?tip that he/she has come across and found to work for them?

Like most things in life you have a choice either you give it a go or you don't simple, I'm sure over the years there have been a lot of what have seemed daft

ideas but some how strangely they work, as for me i like to keep an open mind and will try anything when nothing seems to work got nawt to loose <_<

Thanks mutley,,im sure some pigeon shooters set out there deeks,,oh no pigeons wont decoy,ill go home..when in reality they should try anything,i have ,some have worked some aint,,,needless to say they will not be shared now, :huh: shooting mutley

While entitled to his opinion I think this poster has lost the plot. Hurling abuse, for no apparent reason.

Not only does it show the total lack of knowledge of Columba Polumbus. It also shows his lack of human psychology! In respect of, if something works for you, then you will have more confidence. Nothing breeds success like confidence. If it works for you then go for it.

Thank you ,wot i done to get abuse i dont know,,,lets just say that was an old tip,,an havin been shooting woodies for a long long time ive learnt a little,,,but not to b shared with such abusers...may-b they put tips on ,,,but may-b they can only dish it out.. <_< on yer...all the best

Sadly it was an old tip that has been discredited for many years now. <_< If pigeons are thick enough to come to plastic decoys, both shiny and flocked; to pigeons that seem to be flying in a tight, unnatural circle, or flapping a few times, stopping then flapping again, (as with magic roundabouts and pigeon flappers;) don't notice that dead pigeons, or deeks, are suspended well above the crop on cradles or, in the case of cereals, on long canes etc. or set as out as floaters, plus all the other ways we set out to deceive them, why on earth do you think they will notice that you've removed the eyelids from your deeks?? :no: The fact that pigeons are driven by instinct to join their feeding mates, and put their natural awareness of danger on the back burner as they approach our decoys, shows that they are not as clever as some people seem to think, and this gets thousands of them killed each year. :huh: It also shows that pigeon decoyers, who think like a pigeon, have the upper hand, provided they don't think of silly little things that don't attract pigeons, but can only be seen by them when they are very close to the hide, and virtually in the pot. ???

PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS!!! :lol: