Churches

lurcherboy

Had to go to one today for my niece's baby's christening. I used to go to a lot of weddings 20 or so years ago, then christenings, now mainly funerals.

I was one of two Godfather's, and I am guessing here but I suspect I was the last choice, but all that pomp and ceremony reminded me of school and being forced to attend mass every day. It's no wonder churches are seeing declining numbers and as far as I can see they won't be getting more bums on seats anytime in the near future as they have nothing to offer people.

I listened to a program on the radio recently in which they were saying that the Polish nation were very religious and all attended church regularly, However when the came to the UK they slowly stopped going, and eventually turned their backs on religion.

So is it a UK thing or just religion thats emptying the churches?

LB

So is it a UK thing or just religion thats emptying the churches?

LB

There is a differance between religion and belief.

Religion is organised to maintain the status quo.

Belief is from the individual heart.

Churches should not be buildings, they are groups of

like mined people who worship God.

taz.

I think that its just down to the fact that society has changed,

what i mean by that is the country used to be made up of lots of small communities and it was the norm for church on a sunday morning, these days a lot of people only know the people who live next door and past that the street are strangers. also work ethics have changed and sunday the day of rest is fast becoming just another working day.also there are ethnic communities that dont use the churches so with so many factors against it the only ones who seem to go are the oldies, shame really but times change

I lived next door to the parish vicar for 5 years. Lets just say he was in touch with his feminine side. To put it blunt he was a screaming .... bandit :huh:

Don't do the religious thing only when I want a footy result or a horse to win <_<

My mom still buys the parish news letter and does bits for the church

Jonno

to many pedo,s in for me to risk taking children to one. and before you all start

i know all of em wont be bent, but would you risk a children unsurervised in a church.

I'm not sure how to react to you.

You have opinions I'll grant you, but I'm

sure they are not my views.

taz.

to many pedo,s in for me to risk taking children to one. and before you all start

i know all of em wont be bent, but would you risk a children unsurervised in a church.

taz.

well sorry for that taz.

1 sex offender is one to many, and to many hide behind the church.

in my opinion of course.

taz.

well sorry for that taz.

1 sex offender is one to many, and to many hide behind the church.

in my opinion of course.

Yes ok sorry I'll wind my neck back in <_<

taz

Edited by taz24

I'm a great believer that a few hundred years ago a certain religon invented the devil to stop the dwindling numbers and reinstate it's position .That approach would'nt work nowadays as folks are more street wise ...The Church is the richest orginisation on the planet by far .

Can someone explain to me how the church promote the human race coming from Adam and Eve ........somewhere along the way there must have been a csae of incest .. <_<

I'm a Darwin man myself :huh:

not so much the church of england but the vatican is one of the richest and most powerful organisations in the world ..

also if its right there is a gospel that says that you do not need to go to church to worship but the vtaican wont reconise it ... why would they it would lose them money

I'm not one for organised religion.

I do belive though.

Churches are not buildings or should not be,

they are groups of belivers.

The buildings and the the organisations if corrupt

should be pulled down or sold off.

Its people that matter and how we treat one another.

taz.

I enjoy visiting Churches as I appreciate the architecture and craftsmanship. It is amazing.

Every day the papers are full of stories about dreadful things happening to innocent victims.

There are also regular stories of vicars, priests etc commiting child abuse.

If God loves us all so much, he has a bloody strange way of showing it.

Religion was a great scam in it's day. Because of some con man millions of people gave more than they could afford to the church for centuries. Now most of us aren't that stupid.

What a lot of old tosh.

It seems so far you have all been discussing the Roman Catholic Church, there are other churchs that are different. The Church is the people not the building, too many people forget that.

Besides, I got one to countersign my SGC application? Ministers of Religion have their uses <_<

Thank you Taz for a sensible reply.

He hit it on the head there as I have been told many times by people that I could never, ever equal, that the god/good thing is in you rather than a building.

Mark, if you have relatives you have more to worry about than pedophile priests <_<

LB