how to ask

petersclan

hi, i know of a farmer who may give permission to shoot and i understand that the best way to do things is by asking direct rather than letter or e mail etc.....

what is the best way to put it to the farmer when he has never seen me before..... i know that i am really safe and respect all boundries, livestock and walkers etc etc but worried about asking in case get it wrong

When you meet the farmer, don't go in camo/hunting clothes (he won't want rambo types at his door ), wear a jacket & trousers, take along your BASC membership & insurance, this will help to show him you are a sensible responsible shooter, ask him what quarry problems he has & offer your help if at any time he needs an extra pair of hands on the farm. Best of luck m8. :rolleyes:

When you meet the farmer, don't go in camo/hunting clothes (he won't want rambo types at his door ), wear a jacket & trousers, take along your BASC membership & insurance, this will help to show him you are a sensible responsible shooter, ask him what quarry problems he has & offer your help if at any time he needs an extra pair of hands on the farm. Best of luck m8. :rolleyes:

yep thanks for that, was gunna go in good atire with paperwork in han and ask for dry walk of all boundries etc before even considering shooting plus offer system of booking on qand off land when shooting etc

my shooting is just like my fishing!! i do not shoot to be cruel, i like to shoot just enough to eat. when we go fishing i hate to see holiday makers mackerel fishing as it is so easy and catchin loads just to get thrown away dead. if i had the land i would just shoot enough rabbit to make a good stew for me and the misses at a time... pheasant would be real nice

Edited by petersclan

It's hard to know how to pitch it, and there isn't a right way as it goes. People would do well to remember farmers are astute businessmen - farming is a hard game and the ones still about are not there to just make up the numbers! What I am saying is just get to the point sharpish, I don't know many farmers who have free mornings to stand about listening to a sales pitch :rolleyes:

I have found best way is to be courteous, offer a good strong handshake in your introduction and then just cut to the chase, don't be scared to get stuck in. Big decision for the farmer, so if its looking like he's not up for it make it easier on him, ask to be let on for the day (which is why so many say take your stuff with you!) and see how he feels after that. No long term commitment from him, he might have others shooting there but they are nowhere to be seen, makes his decision much easier. All about a foot in the door.

Assuming his prise fresians are still all alive and you've not destroyed his fields then ask how you'd be on for another day on there.

Best of luck, daunting walking up to strangers on their manor asking for things, satisfying when it comes off :good:

Some on here have posted that ads worked for them, never tried so can't comment beyond what others have mentioned here.

Knocking doors it theway to get it done. Knockbacks, like being punched in the face, hurt less after the first few :lol:

Most farmers have decent O S maps with boundaries, acreages etc marked on by their land agent. If you ask you will probably be allowed to borrow them to get your own copies or many farmers will have copies anyway as they give them out to various contractors to avoid possible mistakes. Its well worth asking.

McF and myself keep the maps with the permission form in a folder, in the car; ready for reference if needs be.

webber

You say you know of a farmer? How? If you know of him through a friend then it will do you the world of good to take them with you and ask them to arrange a suitable time first. If you can add any form of familiarity to the visit so you're not seen as a complete stranger, then your chances are going to be much greater. If you just think he may let you shoot, all I can say is dress smartly but not like you're going to court and try to catch him in the yard when he doesn't look too busy :lol:

Some great tips there guys - thanks! :blush:

A tour of the local farms is something I'm planning to do later in the Spring so all of this info is very useful.

Do you tend to find that specifically asking for vermin or pest control shooting (as opposed to just generally asking if the farmer allows shooting on their land) is the best way to go?

Hello countryboy

Not a very original name, but there will certainly be some country confusion created now!

Trying to find permission to shoot is really easy when you know how, if you would like a copy of my booklet : "On the knocker" (£9.95 inc.P&P) send me a PM.

Cheers, C.B.

(That's Country Boy)

Hello countryboy

Not a very original name, but there will certainly be some country confusion created now!

Trying to find permission to shoot is really easy when you know how, if you would like a copy of my booklet : "On the knocker" (£9.95 inc.P&P) send me a PM.

Cheers, C.B.

(That's Country Boy)

Oh bum, sorry mate! Countryboy's a name I use on a few forums and I had no idea there was another one here. Unfortunately as many forums don't let you search the member list without signing up, there's no way of finding out any close matches.

I'll think of another and have a word with admin.