black rabbit

northy

it is most proberly a throughback or a odd one, one a island 15miles from me that i visited last month i saw 5 out of 3000 rabbits there and in the booklet it said that they were either a throughback or it was just an odd one.

ive got 1 albino rabbit on the farm but wont shoot him as he looks cool.

Aled

When rabbits were kept commercially (in Roman times I think) legend has it that a black rabbit or two were put amongst the brown ones to be able to tell if foxes were taking many of the rabbit population. Apparently the appearance of black rabbits in the wild is a throwback to this age. Black rabbits are usually lighter coloured underneath as opposed to pet black rabbits which are completely black.

Black rabbits are quite common up here. We once shot up at Glen Esk and had rabbits of all different colours and mixtures, the gamekeeper said they shoot 5000+ rabbits each year. We walked a section of the glen back and forth all day with the shotguns and the bunnies were still out.

Further to Hammergun's point:

Black rabbits were used as markers in part to spot predation but more so to indicate poaching. The reasoning was that the black rabbit and normal coloured rabbit looked the same beast at night, so if blacks were going missing there was summat amiss. So the tale goes anyhoo.

I read this first post having never seen one in the wild the very next night on my way home saw one was amazed at the coincidence, either that or I was just on the look out!

Where abouts are you M Robson?? Glen Esk is just down the road from me!!