Heaven on a plate

henry d

I have just finished my annual Woodcock, and to be honest if I had more than 3 a year I`d be in for quadruple by-pass soon.

Roast with puddings in(and bacon on), then rested for 10 mins whilst all the contents(less gizzard) is sauteed with shallot and then port reduction, served on melba toast and with Colcannon(sp?) bubble and squeak.

Have to confirm there is only bones left and several greasy napkins...........if there is original sin then this is one of them.

I love this time of season !!!

post-1301-1202244718.jpg

You ***!!

Im starving now ;) looks great. *drool*

I have never shot anything bigger then a pigeon bird wise, and never eaten any game birds. Dont get much my way..

Just rabbits, fox, and heaps of deer which I cant touch yet.

Edited by Hunter

Looks v nice HD. You should have done a before and after pic. ;)

And I thought you'd leave the head on to suck out some brain for the piece de resistance!

I chop the bacon finely and fry it up with the innards. Must try with pudding next time.

Edited by Piebob

Fantastic!

It's not anything other than bubble and squeak mate. Some people call it by other names like Colcannon but that's nonsense :oops:

Pin, wikipedia wasn't reconised by Cork and Kerry back in the late 60's/ early 70's and definitely wasn't when I spent my summers there.

Another good dish is mashed pots drowned in cabbage water and salt. I have no doubt it has shortened my life but all I can say was that it was worth it ;)

LB

Woodcock! the best tasting of the lot in my book, as for the innards........ ;)

Must admit I read a similar recipe to HD's recently about roasting the whole bird then frying the gubbins - not sure it's for me... and as for sucking the brains out :oops:

Looks a fine feed though!

WGD

Woodcock was traditionally considered to be a breakfast bird where the bird was de-winged/legged, plucked from the neck down and the beak brought round and used to hold the legs. It was roasted whole and the entrails spooned from the rear and spread on toast to be eaten with the meat.

I believe that this is the traditional method for all small game birds (Snipe, Quail etc.).

Me, I prefer Woodcock sans gubbins, being a modern non offal type.

"Scoop these carefully out of the cavity of the birds with a teaspoon – unless the birds are very well done, they will still be quite pink and bloody. In a small frying pan, heat a little butter and add the bacon you took from the birds. Sizzle for a minute or two, then add the contents of the birds’ cavities – intestines, hearts, livers, the lot – and any juices from the roasting tin. Add just a little red wine and/or port – a teaspoon or two for each bird. Bubble gently for a couple of minutes, mashing the lumpy bits with a fork, then season sparingly with salt and pepper. Take off the heat. Make and lightly butter a small round of toast for each bird. Put a heap of the warm ‘pâté’ on one side of each piece of toast and a roast bird on the other. "

According to Hugh FW

"Scoop these carefully out of the cavity of the birds with a teaspoon – unless the birds are very well done, they will still be quite pink and bloody. In a small frying pan, heat a little butter and add the bacon you took from the birds. Sizzle for a minute or two, then add the contents of the birds’ cavities – intestines, hearts, livers, the lot – and any juices from the roasting tin. Add just a little red wine and/or port – a teaspoon or two for each bird. Bubble gently for a couple of minutes, mashing the lumpy bits with a fork, then season sparingly with salt and pepper. Take off the heat. Make and lightly butter a small round of toast for each bird. Put a heap of the warm ‘pâté’ on one side of each piece of toast and a roast bird on the other. "

According to Hugh FW

That's the one I read, you missed the bit at the end of the recipe about the brains...

WGD