Took the plunge

BSA Shaun

Decided after much debate to take the plunge and run a motorcycle instead of a car.

For 2 main reasons,

1 - Its going to be a damn site cheaper, stupid MPG, insurance only £200 fully comp and £15 tax :good:

2 - The summer is coming :lol:

Basic training all done and bike sat at home all ready to go :lol:

Edited by BSA Shaun

Funny you should say about staying safe, during the training I nearly got wiped out by a national express coach which jumped a red light at the end of the bus lane which joined the normal road, doing at least 50mph in a 30mph, soooooooo glad I did a lifesaver check and spotted it on my inside :good:

All I heard on the radio from the instructor was:

"'**** hell that was close Shaun, no fault of your own, change of underwear when we get back"

As for the bike only a little 'un to start on:

Suzuki EN125 - 2A

en125large.jpg

Edited by Cranfield

Unless you are riding a 125cc 4stroke, you will find the bigger bikes actually cost quite a bit to run once you get going :good: Even my 400cc four cylinder 4 stroke would drink more then most cars.. but it was lively :lol:

I miss bikes.. but I have seen to many good bikers go down. You can never have enough training to keep you as safe as a car is on the road.

No seat belts, very little braking power due to low surface area of the two wheels. No bodywork to protect you..

Play safe and have fun :lol:

And do your life saver looks ALL the time.

Sold my CBR a year or so ago with every intention of buying an R1 !!!, never got around to it, and i will pine for it in the summer!

The best way to travel by far, press on and do your test ...... you will not regret it!

The instructor said that if I wanted to, he thinks he could get me through direct access in 3 days, based on my performance on the day, was quite pleased with that :sly:

Want to get some experience on the 125 first and see if it really is for me before I start taking the deep end :oops:

DAS tests have killed MANY bikers.

They think after passing the DAS in a short time, they are fully trained sportsbikers, go and buya 600-1000cc, and off they go without having the real feel for things.

Bikes are like guns. Start on something small, learn the basics, and you will be a better rider at the end when you get a bigger cc bike. The power of even 600cc is emense and can get you in a world of hurt very very quickly.

My advice from someone who has lost a few biker friends, is start on a 125cc at CBT, then go and do your A(2)? test and get something somall/restricted for a while. Go easy at the start.. its not you who may be a poor motorcyclist and crash, its other car drivers. Bikes are hard to spot with cars due to A pillars, sun on the windscreen, not being able to hear them etc etc. PRoviding you take your training seriously and dont act like a pillock, you have a good chance of enjoying many years of biking.

My bro who I got into bikes has worked his way up the ladder from 125cc. He is now on an 800cc VFR, thats his third bike. 125-400Restricted-800cc. He has had many very close calls which he could have lost his bike/life. Hes now touring on his bike in Australia :oops::sly: sending lots of nice pics back. Mum is glad she doesnt have two sons to worry about as I quit biking after my accident a couple of years ago. 30mph crash and im still having a couple of issues with my shoulder and foot after over 2 years. So take it easy :lol: and you will enjoy it. Push yourself to hard beyond your experiance and training, and somone will get hurt.

Im not a safety nazi, but I have seen how messy it gets when things go wrong. ;)

Bikes are great fun and I still yearn to get another. But bad weather, busy roads, and a family keeps me in check. I know too well of the dangers of Motorcycliing having had a major head on with a car leaving me in hospital for 3 months having broken my pelvis in half , 2 broken wrists, internal bleeding etc.

That said, it never stopped getting back out on a new bike afterwards though. Once the comp' cheque hit the mat I went out to buy a brand new ZZR-1100, oh what a bike that was! I had to get rid of it in the end as I found I ha lost my will to live once I got on it. If you get my meaning :sly: And yes, even this bike wasnt fast enough after a while. :oops:

Best advice I could pass on is always be aware of other road users and never assume anything. No matter how much you think you know about your bike and your ability, you will always have a limit, dont cross it! Being over confident is where the trouble starts , never give in to temptation. Always pay attention to the road.

Good luck and safer riding, you will love it, im sure.

Yeah but will you get your shooting gear in the back of it ? :rolleyes:

I've ridden home with a bag 0f 15 rabbits tied to the back of the bike before. It's hard work keeping the front wheel on the ground.

As for bikes i really miss riding one. You really have to expect a car to come flying around every corner though (half the time your right). Plus it's not much fun riding in the rain unless your on your way home.

There is nothing better than cruising on a hot summers day though.

:rolleyes:

I am going to be taking my DAS course sometime before the spring gets here (as thats when they tend to get busy) and i cant wait!

Looking to go straight onto a bigger bike to save losing money on buying/selling. Poss CBR 600, R6 or ZX-6R depending on which one feels the best.

:unsure: