Shooting birds that have landed

Si-Bore

Hey guys

I have noticed a few times that when birds land in the decoys and I give them the 12 bore they sometimes don't die cleanly. Perhaps they are more protected with their wings etc in a seated state compared to in flight. I definately gave them the full/centre of the pattern as I watched it kick the ground up equal distance either side, above and below etc.

Anyone else find this?

Si

Si-Bore, shotguns are not always effective when trying to 'rifle' quarry.

They are made for moving targets and most shotguns are made to shoot slightly high and to the right, consequently if you shoot at a stationary target , say a rabbit or a stoggie try aiming at its feet and ever so slightly behind.

Cheers, C.B. :/

Edited by Country Boy

As above but especially below......

....try aiming at its feet ....

I always blast em with the centre of the pattern. After much experimenting I am now very aware of pattern placement and before anyone says - I don't rifle aim. :hmm: The pattern was perfectly centred on the bird. Perhaps the 1/4 choke is not enough with 30g of 6s for a standing bird, but it was for a 45m crow tonight! :no::P:/

Si

Bare in mind a flying bird has more vunerable parts exposed that are otherwise covered with the thick wing feathers if it has landed. I prefer to shoot them head on if they have landed and never from behind unless very very close.

FM :/

Think I will try the same tomorrow.

Cheers

Si

I always blast em with the centre of the pattern. After much experimenting I am now very aware of pattern placement and before anyone says - I don't rifle aim. :hmm: The pattern was perfectly centred on the bird. Perhaps the 1/4 choke is not enough with 30g of 6s for a standing bird, but it was for a 45m crow tonight! :no::P:/

Si

With respects Si, you don't know that you, "blast em with the centre of the pattern".

Try shooting at a pattern plate 25 yards out with a pigeon drawn at the bottom, then you will see where your pattern goes.

Trust the comments on here, you will be firing over the bird.

If a Pigeon lands without you seeing it coming, you'd be better off letting it walk around a bit in case it attracts others in towards you.... plus when it realises its mistake and ******* off, you've got a more sporting shot at a going away bird as opposed to a sitter.

But any birds you shoot that come down flapping or running, especially while other birds are still in the area , get another shot in there direction .... aimed well below there feet !

I allways favoured open chokes for most of my shooting.... never found the need to go much over half, and more usualy 1/4 choke.

Dave :/

I always blast em with the centre of the pattern. After much experimenting I am now very aware of pattern placement and before anyone says - I don't rifle aim. :no: The pattern was perfectly centred on the bird. Perhaps the 1/4 choke is not enough with 30g of 6s for a standing bird, but it was for a 45m crow tonight! :P:lol::hmm:

Si

With respects Si, you don't know that you, "blast em with the centre of the pattern".

Try shooting at a pattern plate 25 yards out with a pigeon drawn at the bottom, then you will see where your pattern goes.

Trust the comments on here, you will be firing over the bird.

Hey mate.

I do trust the comments on here. There is some fab info. :/ The reason I say the centre of the pattern is that I have spent a good while sorting out gun fit recently and have shot at plenty of pattern plates of late. I am well centred when I point my current and know I am hitting where I mean to. Also gun fit will determine whether I shoot at his feet etc i.e. it may be shooting low or high etc but this I now know from the pattern plates.

Cheers

Si

So your point is you've hit the pigeon on the deck in the centre of the pattern and it's not dead!

Answer to your question yes it does happen!!

But like your man said dreaw a picture on a pattern plate, walk back 25-30 yrds and shoot.....Great it's in the middle of your pattern!

Now check where the shot has hit the drawing? not foregetting that pigeons have feathers so shots to tail wont count...shots on the outline and

3-4mm inside the line wont count!!.....So how many No.6 shot from a 30grm load at roughly 300 bits of lead actualy hit this bird??

Then of those that did any look like they hit vital areas??

As for me it's either dead or it aint but it soon will be :hmm::/

All the best mate but honestly it happens to us all at times yes