Gamekeeper fined for bird deaths

Teal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3597952.stm

A gamekeeper has been fined £5,500 for what has been described as Scotland's worst wildlife crime.

Stephen Muir, 38, admitted killing 20 birds of prey by laying poisoned bait on a hillside.

He was suspended by the Barns Estate near Kirkton Manor, Peebleshire, which has publicly condemned his actions.

Muir, 38, originally faced eight charges. Several buzzards, a goshawk and a tawny owl were found on the estate during a police raid in March.

A spokesman for the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds said the organisation was very disappointed that the gamekeeper had not been jailed for his crime.

"Our officers were absolutely appalled when they came across the dead birds, it was an horrific crime," he went on.

'Very major crime'

The spokesman said the case was the worst its wildlife workers had come across in more than 20 years.

He added: "Within the modern era of wildlife law this is a very major crime."

Muir, who worked on the Barns Estate for 17 years, was initially charged in connection with the deaths of 25 birds but some were too badly decomposed for the cause of their deaths to be ascertained.

Amendments to the Criminal Justice Act, which received Royal Assent last year, introduced jail terms for those found guilty of animal cruelty, bringing Scotland into line with England and Wales.

Muir had faced a maximum six-month sentence and £5,000 fine per offence.

This is really not what we need. :oops:

I cannot believe that having come back from holiday I check the forum to find out that some muppet has shot a man while out foxing - and now - as if things couldn't get any worse the shooting community is labelled as bird murderers because of the actions of another complete plank!! :<

I work for a large conservation organisation and spend a great deal of time telling other conservation proffessionals and the public what good work shoot managers carry out for wildlife. I shoot game, pigeon, foxes and other various vermin but the more these idiots carry on in this manner the more I get shunned by others in my proffession and labelled as "another one of those gun nuts".

Please can we all step back and have a good luck at what we, and our friends are doing to the sport. Lets sort our own ship out before Blair tries to do it for us.

Pike

I cannot believe that having come back from holiday I check the forum to find out that some muppet has shot a man while out foxing - and now - as if things couldn't get any worse the shooting community is labelled as bird murderers because of the actions of another complete plank!! :<

The answer is clear.

Pike needs to stop going on holiday...

I agree that nobody should poison birds that are protected by law.

I also agree, that anyone out lamping that doesn't make sure of their target before firing, is a complete idiot and if found guilty in a Court, deserves a custodial sentence and should not be permitted to have any sort of gun licence in the future.

However, to put the whole thing in perspective , we are talking about two people.

I know loads of gun owners who have never done any of the above things and I'm sure you can all say the same.

I don't see that we need to accept being, "tarred by the same brush", as these idiots.

If anyone mentions proven irresponsible behaviour by people involved in Country Sports, I loudly condemn such actions, I don't attempt to justify them.

Perhaps we should be as concerned about our image, when stupid threads are started on here.

However, to put the whole thing in perspective , we are talking about two people.

I know loads of gun owners who have never done any of the above things and I'm sure you can all say the same.

I don't see that we need to accept being, "tarred by the same brush", as these idiots...........

I'm sorry Cranfield but the media will just not pick up on the broader picture, they never do and never will. We will get tarred by the same brush it is inevitable. We will become "guilty until proven innocent" which is contrary to our justice system. We can not afford for individuals to do such stupid actions. Remember that one maniac Thomas Hamilton, I don't recall any other handgun shooters doing the same. Incedents like these are VERY VERY bad for the sport. Regardless of the perspective, we know, but Joe Public does not. It is very easy to influence the public with such horror stories.

Teal, I agree that events like this, don't do the image of Gamekeepers any good.

But, I don't think that the media, or even the ill informed public, will now condemn all live quarry shooters because of the actions of this Gamekeeper.

My point is that as individual Country Sportsmen we condemn such activities, but I do not intend to apologise, or wear sackcloth and ashes in public, for the actions of someone else.

i have to agree with cran, we as responsilbe shooters/hunters more so under the heading of country sportsmen , should not have to bow to the general veiw of the public that all gun owners are crazy iresponsible people, unfortunatly the old saying "nobody remembers the good you do ,but they never forget the bad "is still hanging around .

i make a point of telling everyone here i shoot and i am proud of it ,not all people agree with me and i respect their opinion as i hope they do of me ,i take people from all walks of life shooting so they can see for themselves how enjoyable it can be , they can then make a honest and informed opinion themselves without the ignorant bias ingrained by the media and anti gun people.

at the moment i have a shoot organised for 7 companies here in town i deal with

i am taking them to my range for a clay shoot ,with pro help on hand we will take

35 non shooting people through 100 targets and feed them after ,better than a round of golf.

i can only say to you all promote your sport to anyone else with the passion you have for it yourself .

have a great season guys

martin