Pictures in Periodicals

Fisherman Mike

A lot to learn? your opinion and you are entitled to it but (I guess you're limited knowledge of my experience you may come to a vague conclusion :rolleyes: a lot of persons on here assume that experience is based on the amount of posts on a web forum :lol: )....there is nothing unacceptable with a headshot for a fox...and as for it moving it's head..I usually wait for a static target that has settled, and by the time you hear the noise the round has usually hit the target with a 243 so unlikely the fox will move it's head that fast between pulling the trigger and impact...so you may have a thing or too to learn yourself in my opinion.

and have I ridden to a hunt? nope....until you can show me where the keys to a horse go I won't be using one for transport!

Garry.

It,s not how many posts,it,s what,s in them :P

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grasshopper,

What's in them??? Should I assume that because you use a comma and apostrophe in the wrong place you have a low I.Q.:rolleyes:?

I think this shows that you can’t judge someone on their posts alone….

I don't believe in playing forum table tennis and to be honest I think the posts are going off topic.

I am under no illusion that I know it all, and never pretend to.

Edited by gixer1

243 OR a .22......and if you were to go onto you tube you will find numerous clips of people getting a 2" group at 300yards with various calibers.

And at what point in any post did I say "I can guarantee a head shot at 300 yards" :rolleyes:??? I select my shots on my own abilities.

Garry.

You obviously have no experience of rifle shooting, this is becoming more plain with every post that you put up.

You have repeatedly said that only head shots should be taken at foxes, my point (that was obviously way over your head) was that at 300 yards, it is a more certain shot at the chest of a fox than at the head. At no point did I suggest that you had said "I can guarantee a head shot at 300 yards", those were my words had you chose to read them, before throwing your teddy out of the cot.

Gixer1

I have just ran a back stroke through all of the posts you have made since joining. For someone with such vast experiance your posts have all been very beginner questions, such as:

What distance for zeroing a 22lr

Is there any problem with putting steel shot (32g 4's) through a Beretta 686E

Can anyone type a list of the calibers of the commonly used uk rifles in order from smallest to largest and also what game they would be used for, i hear alot of different calibers talked about on here and alot of people asking, can i use X rifle for X species and it might be a good reference guide if you were applying for an FAC when adding in possible rifles.

I have just bought a Rizzini with 27" barrels (from end of barrell to where the cartridges go)

can anyone tell me if the gun is a sporter, trap field ect and what are the different barrell lengths best suited for i.e - game, skeet, DTL etc??

and comments such as:

if you take 100 carts and get one pigeon but are happy then so be it, the day i hit everything i shoot at is the day i'll stop shooting.

I have also noticed with the exception of the above shotgun threads you have only ever listed owning the following:

.22LR - rabbits, Vermin.

.17 HMR - above plus Foxes

But you are coming across has having vast experiance of shooting foxes with a .243. You feel qualified to past judgement on fox hunting and its members even though you have never ridden to the hounds.

I have an opinion aswell and unless you can clear alot of facts up it is that you do not add up.

NTTF

Well most of my posts are in the sporting pics forum so would like to add my 2p.

Why do i take photo's of the things i shoot? I have kept a sporting diary for many years now and can look back with fondness on shooting adventures from years ago, my accounts are mainly written up with no pics. I have in the last few years embraced the digtal age and armed with a digital camera and p.c my diary now includes photos of the areas i shoot / ferret / fish in photos of friends and the days bag as well of a write up of the day. As an aide de memoire my diaries are invaluable to me as with time memories dim of a particular day but with a little reading memories of a particularly good duck flight or days decoying come flooding back. now with the internet i can share said accounts with like minded people like the pigeonwatch faithful who have always responded kindly and with enthusiasm to the post i have put up on here.

I do think we sometimes give ground to the anti's a little too readily. i have been lucky enough to shoot a big bag of pigeons (100), rabbits (over 40) in the past. And they were all turned into food. As long as what is killed isn't wasted i personally don't care if the bag is 10 or 100. Indeed my most favourite days usually involve low bag numbers and the company of friends but i don't think we should be ashamed of big bags as i said as long as the bag isn't wasted. The anti's will always hate us and nothing we could do will appease them, apart from handing our guns in and taking up flower arranging. But perhaps by reading an account of a day out with photo's included we can educate the people who sit on the fence and help them make a balanced decision, or at the very least show them how effective we are. Perhaps the photos in publications should include a decent write up of the day also. I may be showing my naivety but thats my opinion.

Regarding head / body shots on our quarry, i think head shots are preferable at sensible ranges with almost instantaneous lock times and bullet flight as long as the man behind the rifle is up to it, however this isn't always possible or advisable, if you are out on a windy night the heads kill zone is a small target or once you stretch the range to 100yds+ and further, even with centrefire rifles bullet flight time is no longer instantaneous the boilerhouse shot does give more margin for error both on the shooters part and if the animal moves as you pull the trigger, thus we do all we can to ensure and instant end for our quarry. Just my opinion and seems to work for me.

Gixer1

I have just ran a back stroke through all of the posts you have made since joining. For someone with such vast experiance your posts have all been very beginner questions, such as:You learn something new everyday....

What distance for zeroing a 22lr It was a poll to see what the majority of people were using there .22LR's at, new gun with a 16" barrel so why not ask???

Is there any problem with putting steel shot (32g 4's) through a Beretta 686E It's a friends gun and as i don't own one i didn't know so i asked...

Can anyone type a list of the calibers of the commonly used uk rifles in order from smallest to largest and also what game they would be used for, i hear alot of different calibers talked about on here and alot of people asking, can i use X rifle for X species and it might be a good reference guide if you were applying for an FAC when adding in possible rifles. this was due to reading posts about the legallity of certain calibers for certain game such as fowes which are legal to shoot with .22LR in certain parts of the UK but not in others.

I have just bought a Rizzini with 27" barrels (from end of barrell to where the cartridges go) What's the problem with this it explains in simple terms what i was asking??

can anyone tell me if the gun is a sporter, trap field ect and what are the different barrell lengths best suited for i.e - game, skeet, DTL etc?? As the Rizzini is an older model i had varying opinions as to it's purpose so i asked for a majority opinion.

and comments such as:

if you take 100 carts and get one pigeon but are happy then so be it, the day i hit everything i shoot at is the day i'll stop shooting. Mentioned that i obviously do not have a 100% hit rate and assuring the person that originally posted that very few people do.

I have also noticed with the exception of the above shotgun threads you have only ever listed owning the following:

.22LR - rabbits, Vermin. Do you own all the guns you have ever fired???....many people have had a decade of experience without ever possesing a SGC or FAC..

.17 HMR - above plus Foxes Never listed as owning one of these?:rolleyes:

But you are coming across has having vast experiance of shooting foxes with a .243. You feel qualified to past judgement on fox hunting and its members even though you have never ridden to the hounds. I have never stated "vast experience" but have seen a fair few over the years and have had various experience with different calibers and guns.

As for the hounds this.....i have no experience of it and i did state "i'm no expert"

I have an opinion aswell and unless you can clear alot of facts up it is that you do not add up.Hope this helps clear thing for you..

NTTF

Edited by gixer1

Very well said GSAW,

I too enjoy seeing photos of other peoples exploits,and have no problem with them or indeed adding my own.Personally i think it finishes off a post to see the bag. :P

Also i can see where the original point comes from.Commercial shooting,showing large bags in order to attract punters and therefore make money.....i`m neither for or against,as i feel people have to make a living and we as humans are exploiting anything we can on this earth to make a profit already.And i for 1 am not about to go on a crusade to change it...it would impact too much on my shooting time :( :rolleyes:

Garry,

You should really take a look at your own grammer before you start criticising anyone elses. :lol:

If your going to make bold statments on a forum,then you should really expect both positive and negative views on said phrase...

This may well be a predominately pigeon shooting forum,but it also has a lot of members who enjoy all types of country pursuits..therefore when you criticise 1 of them....well your an intelligent chap,do the maths...

I think this shows that you can’t judge someone on their posts alone….

Sometimes you can :D

Gixer, i personally think your just a wannabe - stupid Ghille suits, rants over fox hunting and stating head shots are the way to go on foxes dont make you sound like a very experianced shot/hunter.

read around the forum a bit and you will learn a few things, especially about who to slag off (most of the guys on here have been there and done it - most have even got the Tshirt).

Edited by tulkyuk

Grasshopper,

Point taken, and I realise my grammer is by no means perfect, which was my point, I did try to fairly respond to all questions in a manner that would not offend and i apologise to anyone who this may have offended.

A forum will always show difference of opinions and i guess this is why they can be a useful source of info.

Regards,

Garry.

As the prvious post said i did not intend to "slag" anyone off.....this is a FORUM and so anything can be posted, should we treat members in different ways because they have typed more posts??

And i won't be drawn into the age old tat of "my grandad's more experienced than you're grandad"

some peoples sensitivity levels are higher than others.

What's the problem with the ghillie suit??? :rolleyes:

They've been used by stalkers in Scotland for nearly 100 years and were adopted by the army when used by Scottish game keepers so they can't be that bad can they?

Edited by gixer1

Gixer1

I have just ran a back stroke through all of the posts you have made since joining. For someone with such vast experiance your posts have all been very beginner questions, such as:

What distance for zeroing a 22lr

Is there any problem with putting steel shot (32g 4's) through a Beretta 686E

Can anyone type a list of the calibers of the commonly used uk rifles in order from smallest to largest and also what game they would be used for, i hear alot of different calibers talked about on here and alot of people asking, can i use X rifle for X species and it might be a good reference guide if you were applying for an FAC when adding in possible rifles.

I have just bought a Rizzini with 27" barrels (from end of barrell to where the cartridges go)

can anyone tell me if the gun is a sporter, trap field ect and what are the different barrell lengths best suited for i.e - game, skeet, DTL etc??

and comments such as:

if you take 100 carts and get one pigeon but are happy then so be it, the day i hit everything i shoot at is the day i'll stop shooting.

.22LR - rabbits, Vermin.

.17 HMR - above plus Foxes

But you are coming across has having vast experiance of shooting foxes with a .243. You feel qualified to past judgement on fox hunting and its members even though you have never ridden to the hounds.

I have an opinion aswell and unless you can clear alot of facts up it is that you do not add up.

NTTF

Isn't this simply a BULLYING SESSION? Everybody's entitled to their opinion (however mental in this case). There's no reason to pick on him just because he doesn't like hunting: I'd pick on him because he's Scottish, myself.

Edited by Flashman

gixer you will never win against the fox hunting lobby on here their mind set is closed , so i would give up if i were you before you start getting the nasty PMs asking a break down of every incident you mention like i did who\where\when \ why didnt you report it and so on. We all are intitled to our opinion and leave it at that.