Sign in to follow this  
new to the flock

House Training & Crate Training

Loved this thread,we have never had a puppy always older trained dogs,but we bought a rhodesian ridgeback Monday,he's 8 weeks however the mother died following 2 days labour and 10 pups,in just 4 days he no longer has bowel motion in side ,and mostly through the day he peed outside ,rooughly 2 accidents in the night .he sleeps in the kitchen alone well on his blanket.he was used to sharing a stable with 7 pups,and a horse next door so I guess he peed their ,really pleased with his progress tho considering no former training.how many weeks do you think it may be before he can hold urine long enough through the night .or should I use a crate now

I used the crate straight away with both my pups and just got up every few hours to let them out for about ten days, was quite tiring but after doing that they know not to go in the crate and they will be let out so they would last from about 11 at night till 5 in the morning which wasnt too bad. I did have a problem with my springer pup where she got so scared she would poo in the crate, i got over this by putting her crate in our bedroom for a couple of nights which some people wont agree with but it worked for us.

Well our little boy has had 2 straight dry nights and so far today no accidents inside tempting fait .however during the day yesterday he had 4 little pees in 15 mins inside.anyone rec comend a good complete puppy food for large breed dogs from experiance .the shops seem to want to sell us the most expensive ?.

My springer pup started on skinners puppy and she is now on skinners complete salmon and rice and she has turned out great powerful little dog with a nice coat. Only thing i found with it is need about twice as much food as recommended on the bag, but my collie has the amount it says on the bag and is doing well on it.

I'm currently using the same crate and toilet training method as NTTF. Picked pup up yesterday, today pup takes herself out through the back door to pee and poo. I'm sure there will be accidents but being consistant pays off.

Well our little boy has had 2 straight dry nights and so far today no accidents inside tempting fait .however during the day yesterday he had 4 little pees in 15 mins inside.anyone rec comend a good complete puppy food for large breed dogs from experiance .the shops seem to want to sell us the most expensive ?.

I used Arden Grange for years but have just changed to CSJ its a really good food and Cheep. comes well recommended really good for a working dog.

thanks nttf got a cocker pup coming in 4 weeks and she will be coming in caravan with us in the spring so she will be sleeping in crate

in the awning at night .hopefully this will give us both a good start thanks again

Iv been really lucky with my boy now 9 week old black lab, from day one at nite put him in his crate at bed time, he has a little whine but by the time I get upstairs his asleep settled, house training is getting there, but for some reason he plays up with the wife, but with me all ways outside??? Strange