hearing protection

Axeman1984

ive been out pigeon shooting one too many times lately and not bothered with any hearing protection and after the last time i went out i dident think the ringing in my ears was ever going to wear off, so just out of curiousity what sort of hearing protection do you lot use, ive just got a pair of "peltor sporttac" electronic ear defenders and they seem pretty good and wondered what the majority of you use.

cheers fenman........ :blush:

With the moderated 22 and sub I don't bother. Other hearing protection depends on what I'm shooting and how much.

I used to shoot without any hearing protection, including shotguns and fullbores (30-06). Yeah, your ears ring a little at first but it goes away. Kinda. Now I have tinnitis which is a constant ringing in the ears. It comes and goes in waves. Sometimes it is louder or softer. I still have difficulties picking up conversations if there is a lot of other noise in the room. Needless to say I'm now taking a lot better care of my ears even though it is too late to fix.

If I am shooting shotgun or full bore I have muffs from radians (the behind the ear model). They aren't the best and I do want to upgrade, but they do the job. If I am shooting my HMR or 22 unmoderated at targets I'll stick to the radians (why not?). If I'm in the field shooting game I'll use soft foam plugs or whatever I have. First time out I forgot them so I wadded up some napkins from the coffee shop that I had in my pocket. Worked fine for the HMR.

Only time I don't wear any is if I am out rough shooting. I've tried to wear them and can't stand it. So

Next step is a nice set of electronic ones that I can wear all the time when shooting and still hear.

I never used to bother, but the missus bought me some sonic 2's and they're great! I can hear enough with them in, but when you fire (12b for me) there's just a muffled thud. It was only when I started to use them that I realised a lot of the discomfort I experienced when shooting was the pressure I put on my ears. I'm used to wearing plugs on the bike, but found that I had to wear these indoors for increasing amounts of time before they were really comfortable. At only a tenner, they're well worth the effort involved :) .

what gun shop is this?? lol

Fur&Feather ely

But dont go there very often because i dont generally buy many cartridges (normally raid some from the where my uncle keeps them on the farm :) ) but the last few times ive bought some the bloke has thrown in some plugs when i said id buy some after buying the carts :yahoo:

I recently bought a pair of Emtec Noisebreakers; they are custom made to your ear, fit inside your ear and have an acoustic valve which lets you hear normal sounds (so you can have a conversation) and filters out the louder sounds. They are CE approved and cost me £80 so they are cheaper than the electonic over ear defenders. I can thoroughly recommend them.

WGD

I use Peltor too, the Tactical 6.

They cut out the loud noises and let the softer noises like conversation through without any problem. :)

They also cut out the wife's snoring :yahoo:

I bought them online from the States when the pound was up over the two dollar mark and so got a pretty keen deal. The website was doing an offer at the time where if you bought two pairs the price came down, so all in all it was a bargain. Fortunate enough not to get hit by customs/duty either :yahoo:

Guest cookoff013

i have got several pairs of peltor stuff. i`ve got shotgunner type (as back up), i`ve got magnum type that are big but very comfy. i ise these when i`m rifle shooting. i`ve got some sporttac electronics, they i use more than any.

the times i`ve been unprepared for the shot. great for hearing when the ferrets have got near a rabbit. good for receiving comands when i`m clay busten. i rarely use the inner ear plugs thesedays....

i find them real uncomfortable. it affects my shooten.

I recently bought a pair of Emtec Noisebreakers; they are custom made to your ear, fit inside your ear and have an acoustic valve which lets you hear normal sounds (so you can have a conversation) and filters out the louder sounds. They are CE approved and cost me £80 so they are cheaper than the electonic over ear defenders. I can thoroughly recommend them.

WGD

me and my lad have got a pair each, FANTASTIC :good:

quite easy to forget you've got them in, i havent driven home with mine in...yet !!