Pop-Up Hides

taxidermy dave

Rugby gun shop had one on display at the midland game fair on offer at £109.

I was very tempted, and went back to the stand a couple of times. Each time I found things that could be improved upon, and decided that Mrs. webber may not appreciate the high level of modifications that I would be wanting. The version on offer was certainly an improvement on previous models that I have viewed. I therefore decided to keep hold of my cash.

Mrs. webber was staggered when I eventually returned home from the gamefair. Its the first time that I have ever returned with cash to spare and virgin plastic. I even repayed her £50 loan. She thought that her money had gone for ever. 27 years of marrage, and I still manage to surprise her, but not too often!

webber

Q

I dont know if its called a hayhouse or not, but it was on display on the Rugby gun shop stand.

With the model on display you fould at least stand up, however closer inspection showed that the large entrance flap was secured with a zip fastener as were the other observation / shooting flaps.

The zips were however located about 4 inches from the frame, thus considerably reducing the field of view, the same was evident with the other flaps.

I decided that to be of any significant use for pigeon shooting I would need to hold the front panel back to the frame with string,or adjustable ties. The same would need to be done to the side apetures, which would also need to be covered either with scrim or hide netting. My idea was to fix velcro to the tent and the scrim to allow fast attachment.

I have watched the development of this kind of hide over a number of years, and they do seem to have improved significantly.

The necessary modifications just hit me in the face, and I was fearful that when I presented Mrs. webber with velcro scrim etc that she may just do the same!

webber

• 2 months later...

HI CHRIS R

I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A DOGHOUSE MODEL 887 FROM THE USA TOTAL OF £123.00 INC DELIVERY IT IS 4 MAN SIZE WITH 80 INCH SQUARE BASE CONSEALS 95% OF YOUR ODOUR SO PLENTY OF ROOM FOR 2 PEOPLE IN A COUPLE OF CHAIRS TO SIT IN COMFORT IF YOU ARE INTERESTED I WILL FILD THE WEB ADDRESS FOR YOU

CHEERS SHAWN

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just taken delivery of my ameristep 887 doghouse hide i have imported from america and what a beauty its huge i can stand up no problem

i set it up in 4 minutes 1st time, put it away and set it back up in 2.5 miutes, it has windows in all six sides full cent protection zip in/out ground sheet 100 per cent water proof and there is plenty of room for 2 shooters cant wait to try it out at the week end

any one else got one ? what do you think of yours ?

cheers shawn

All of the ones I have seen have a roof, with shooting "windows " round the sides.

Ideal for shooting mammals and turkeys, but I'm not sure about flying birds.

Isn't this going to seriously restrict your field of vision and shooting swing, when birds are coming in from every direction (including behind) ?