Gasing rabbits

Yes it still legal & i know about ferreting have 3 & done it for 14yrs but to deal with them on a proper scale & time gasing is good & a very good way to control rabbits but like many thing in life has its good/bad points.

I hoped with the broad knowledge on her someone would know or help with info.

I believe phostox has gone the same way as cymag, as in you can`t get it anymore as the manufacturers do not have a license as they feel it is too expensive to have it tested(they have to get it tested at regular periods) compared with their returns.

Or thats how it was explained to me.

Yes it still legal & i know about ferreting have 3 & done it for 14yrs but to deal with them on a proper scale & time gasing is good & a very good way to control rabbits but like many thing in life has its good/bad points.

I hoped with the broad knowledge on her someone would know or help with info.

you should keep ferreting going.i saw in the shooting times a few monthes back how gasing rabbits is taking the sport away from the ferreter.i would ferret it and lamp them at night you well get them down. :good:

Hi Vmax ; yes Phostoxin ( Alumimium Phoside ) is still legal but you will need to go on a training course to enable you to buy the product ; give Lisa Wales a ring at Killgerm 01924~268445 they are doing several training course;s in Scotland ; but to be honest with you ; you;ll be wasting your time / money this time of the year for as the stinging nettles etc are growing and you only have to miss one pop~hole and all the gas will escape !! If you can trap them with Fenn mk6;s /snares or rifle the rabbits you soon will make an inroad in the population; I myself as a professional pest controller do not rate the stuff !! and in the wrong hands it is LETHAL ; as you probably know you must never use Phostoxin in the rain ; as the Aluminium Phoside re~acts with moisture if you did and screwed the lid down ; you would be walking around with a live hand grenade and if the explosion didn;t get you the gas would !! The course;s are £95 ; plus you will need a Talpex applicator £93 + vat plus gas at £22 + vat per cannister that;s a lot of money ; just think how many traps/ snares/ammo you could buy with that money ? :blush: hope this has been of some help to you Vmax

Hi Vmax ; yes Phostoxin ( Alumimium Phoside ) is still legal but you will need to go on a training course to enable you to buy the product ; give Lisa Wales a ring at Killgerm 01924~268445 they are doing several training course;s in Scotland ; but to be honest with you ; you;ll be wasting your time / money this time of the year for as the stinging nettles etc are growing and you only have to miss one pop~hole and all the gas will escape !! If you can trap them with Fenn mk6;s /snares or rifle the rabbits you soon will make an inroad in the population; I myself as a professional pest controller do not rate the stuff !! and in the wrong hands it is LETHAL ; as you probably know you must never use Phostoxin in the rain ; as the Aluminium Phoside re~acts with moisture if you did and screwed the lid down ; you would be walking around with a live hand grenade and if the explosion didn;t get you the gas would !! The course;s are £95 ; plus you will need a Talpex applicator £93 + vat plus gas at £22 + vat per cannister that;s a lot of money ; just think how many traps/ snares/ammo you could buy with that money ? :) hope this has been of some help to you Vmax

Cheers for that as i am helping a pest controler & wonderd for myself as iv been asked to do local golf course. I have done quite a bit before when a keeper & the ground im gasing now is FC land & we were getting it for £15 per cannister but thought the gasing ticket be handy.

Hi V Max ; no problem ; hope I;m not trying to teach my grannie to suck eggs ? just a few tips ; take loads of tools with you ; i:e loping shears ; bill~hooks ; slashers etc ; and obviously a couple of spades ; just in case one breaks also during the summer months collect as many plastic flower pots as you can; from large to small ; apply the gas then stuff the flower pot down the hole ; this stops the gas being covered by soil and less digging / back filling ; hope this advise has been of some help :):good: best regards Rattymole

• 3 weeks later...