17 HMR advice

Hi,

Have just started using this 17 hmr.

Was reccommended and have been using winchester super x 20gr gamepoint

rounds and have been realitivly pleased with the results. I'm now thinking of trying some different

ammo any advice or info on what to try please let me know.

Oh and let me know what you shoot and why

Cheers

I've been using an hmr for about 6 months after having a .22 for 25years and my own view is fantastic,the gun is very accurate out to 150yds and again in my opinion outclasses the .22. my choice of bullet is hornaday vmax 17gn but all the 17grainers seem to boast the same velocity, i personally don't see the need for a heavier bullet for rabbits, apparently they suffer a bit in the wind but i don't notice it at all and on a windy day you can if you want to get a bit closer to your quarry, heaven knows how many rabbits ive had since i bought it my best is 27 one evening.

I know a guy who uses a 17 HMR on charlie but dunno his ammo of choice, i was told to use 17g rounds on vermin but on things like rabbits or game you want to save use the 20g gamepoint, i saw in a article they were supposedly almost like softpoints, they dont explode like the B-tips or the TNT hollows, a word of caution, the 17 HMR for fox has been beaten many times but within reasonable range i think its ok, i agree a 223 ect may be more appropriate but in reasonable range i.e. 90yds and bellow, i think its a neat little round for charlie, just dont go taking 200yd shots.

Steve

20gr gamepoint bounce

17 grn ballistic dont trust me , also they will do charlie to 100 yrds anything more than that use center fire :good:

Ps, Hate 20 grn due to ricochet

Rob, they don't ricochet if you hit the damned thing :good: :good: :good:;):lol::P:lol:

they can do as they go straight through, I also hate them but mostly because of the small hole they make and the little damage they do if you get the shot very slightly wrong. With the Vmax rounds get it slightly wrong and the bullet still does the job well. It was designed as a varmint round with the 17 grain bullets and to me they do seem to work best

they can do as they go straight through, I also hate them but mostly because of the small hole they make and the little damage they do if you get the shot very slightly wrong. With the Vmax rounds get it slightly wrong and the bullet still does the job well. It was designed as a varmint round with the 17 grain bullets and to me they do seem to work best

Can't disagree with that

.....but don't tell magman

I've never tried the 20grn jobs. The whole point of the HMR is flat trajectory, so I started off with the 17grn V-Max and never needed to try anything else. The V-Max blow up nicely and even a poor shot will kill pretty cleanly. I've messed up and hit a bunny half way down the body before and they've still fallen, kicked a couple of times and given up!

The Fox I hit last night (75 yards) fell down dead, so I don't see the need of the heavier bullet :no:

Can't disagree with that

.....but don't tell magman

:no: had them ricochet after going through a rabbits head :oops:

HI

Thanks for all the replies and info i will definatly try the 17 grn ballistic tip!

I thought i would use the 20 grn as its a hevier bullet so should do more damage,

esspeically if i bump into charlie.

They do go straght through bunnies and i have had a couple bounce on me.

Looking forward to trying them out.

Cheers guys.

Bear in mind though that when a bullet ricochets it tumbles and won't go far as it's slowing down all the time. It sounds worse that it is. 17 grainers ricochet as well but it's only fragments and not a solid bullet.

Bear in mind though that when a bullet ricochets it tumbles and won't go far as it's slowing down all the time. It sounds worse that it is. 17 grainers ricochet as well but it's only fragments and not a solid bullet.

Dave ,they don't ricochet if you hit the damned thing with 17 grns :no::oops::P :( :lol::lol:

Dave ,they don't ricochet if you hit the damned thing with 17 grns :no::oops::P :( :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I only have a choice of Remington v-max Winchester v-max and 20gr game point and i usually get the Remmy 17gr v-max as i noticed a lot of the spent Winchester cases were split down the neck and shoulder which won't do the chamber of the rifle any good, and even that little flat on the game points is enough for them not to load in my cz. Have noticed a couple of the remmy ones splitting but no where near as bad.

Also i thought that the 20gr would be better in the wind but me and a mate were shooting with two cz americans from the same spot at the same target (100 yds) in a fresh wind a couple of weeks ago and the 17gr rounds (both remmy and win) drifting around an inch off zero but the 20gr ones were more than 2 1/2" off windage wise, elevation was fine for both. I really didn't expect that! Unless it has something to do with barrel harmonics? V-max also really good at not ricocheting and perhaps the non expanding game points would be better if shooting to eat.

Edited by DJLeslie