Fixing to thermalite blocks !!!

Andy_B

Has anybody mounted safe to a thermalite block wall ?? if so what fixings did you use...we have tried chemical anchors but think the porus block absorbed some of the resin and hence did not give an adequate fix...there must be a certain type of chemical on the market for this application...if anybody knows what it is...and if it can be purchase from screwfix...please enlighten me....before the wall ends out looking like swiss cheese !!! cheers

You're always gonna struggle to fix to aerated block as it has such a low nm crush rating. Your best bet would be screw-in anchors (sometimes called thunderbolts) or oversized hole with chemical injection anchor with perforated sleeve. Any expansion type mechanical anchor will just trash the surrounding block and result in v poor pull out results.

That said, if it was me I'd drill through and bolt to a plate on the other side. Not all that daunting or complicated, just be aware if you try and pull the safe off the wall, the whole thing'll come down! :angry:

Has anybody mounted safe to a thermalite block wall ?? if so what fixings did you use...we have tried chemical anchors but think the porus block absorbed some of the resin and hence did not give an adequate fix...there must be a certain type of chemical on the market for this application...if anybody knows what it is...and if it can be purchase from screwfix...please enlighten me....before the wall ends out looking like swiss cheese !!! cheers

The police pulled my mates cabinet off the thermalite wall and he used 17mm body rawl bolts.

We ended up bolting the cabinet to the concrete floor in his stair cupboard while the FO waited

there are some bolts that you push the housing through the drilled block and they open up

like a star in the cavity,heating engineers use them for mounting combi boilers,but we

couldnt find them and went for the floor option.

thanks ...should have said ...we have been down the expansion route ...and realised...this aint working.....and also the multi mole with a pre drilled pilot hole...that failed too ....the plate on the other side of the wall will not happen... very new dream house....wife would go benny bongo !!!!

We did that....i use chemical anchors in work all the time (heavy chemical industry) and have never had one fail yet...that said we are always fixing into concrete floors and walls..so long as the hole is cleaned out well and of correct width and diameter...no probs...the ones we used seem to have possibly soaked into the porus block before setting. all four failed...is it possible that these may have gone off..!!...or were duds ....really cant understand

Cheers for all your help peeps...thinking we will go get fresh chemical anchor cement in the caulking gun format....that way we can inject it, pre mixed, to the bottom of the hole, then set the screwed rods in place...also going to make up a thin pipe attachment for the hoover to ensure all debris from gyproc and thermalite has gone.....if this fails we will admit defeat ...and look for another mounting site

Do they have access to build materials of houses ?....if not he wont know ...and if he cant pull it off the wall...which by the time we are finished with it he def will not be able to do....cause we will try first 6ft 2" and 15 stone cant shift it doubt he will either....

I will be surprised if your FLO passes the cabinet fitted to thermalite block, no matter what you fix it with, the block itself is not suitable,

BJ.

If you take the trouble to research the guidance for police on firearms, accesible through the BASC website. I'm quite sure that your conserns and doubts will be put to rest.

webber

Cheers for all your help peeps...thinking we will go get fresh chemical anchor cement in the caulking gun format....that way we can inject it, pre mixed, to the bottom of the hole, then set the screwed rods in place...also going to make up a thin pipe attachment for the hoover to ensure all debris from gyproc and thermalite has gone.....if this fails we will admit defeat ...and look for another mounting site

If I'd known they were glass capsules I would've said use injection.

The aggregate in the capsule is harder than the aerated block and wont allow the mix to form properly. Injection will work better, be sure to discard 1st 2cm of mix, but the wall will always be the weakest link.

Oh, and Bosch have a new sds machine with built in dust extraction for just £149 + vat. Perfect fr small snagging and diy jobs. (GBH2-23REA)

Can you tell I sell 'em? Can ya? :angry:

Edited by tinbum71

If you take the trouble to research the guidance for police on firearms, accesible through the BASC website. I'm quite sure that your conserns and doubts will be put to rest.

webber

No need to do any research Webber, common sense would prevail. :angry:

Andy_B, are you restricted to where you can fix your cabinet?

BJ.

it has to be on top floor....ground floor ideal (concrete slab)....but would be flat floor mounted...which personally i dont favour....second choice is loft...pain in the a$$ when trying to get out early morning shooting ...ladders etc etc...waking up family ...pi$$ing off wife....need i go on !!!...will post how we get on tomorrow....this is only the first cabinet...got another and a safe to mount yet ..... once we sus this then there will be no stopping us...

I used liquid polyester on mine (about a tenner from Wicks and applied in any normal skeleton gun) - set rock hard after 8 minutes and could have stuck an elephant to a ceiling with it. I inserted the polyester resin and then stuck in the bolts (rods) and then when set married up the cabinet, added an F-off washer and nut.

The trick is to anchor to the floor as best as you can and then secondary anchor to the surrounding thermalite block walls.

I will stick some photos up soon as I am in the process of removing my cabinet as I have a much much much bigger one :angry:

Tell you what, before you stick your cabinet in make sure you have got the biggest one you can.

webber

No need to do any research Webber, common sense would prevail. :angry:

Andy_B, are you restricted to where you can fix your cabinet?

BJ.

the problem is Bazooka is if you say thermalite isn't suitable then you are saying you can't fix them to 99% of new build homes. Despite your reservations FEO's do have an element of common sense and yes thermalite blocks aren't that strong but they do stop an opportunist thief removing a cabinet. With the likes of Brattonsound ones the average thief would need help to carry it off and its not exactly subtle.

I'd advise against drilling through to the outer skin of brick as the bolts will them form a thermal bridge through the house insulation which will mean they are a lot colder than the inside of the house and it will cause condensdation on the bolts and cabinet near them which won't be good for your guns. as said just get the chemical anchor right and you'll be fine

Get m10 threaded bar cut 10" long x4 put 2 nuts at one end and lock. Cut 4 bits of flat bar inch wide x 3" long drill 3 11mm holes in the middle

of flat bar use jigsaw to make them one big long hole slide on each bar mark holes and drill 25mm holes slide bar and flat in hole poke

bar through with long driver till flat is in cavity and pull tight mount cabinet add flats springs and nuts that should hold it. Hope this helps

mines in the loft, concrete block wall..... drilled the holes carfully and inserted the conrete anchor type studs ( no chemicals) they worked a treat......

i hear what your saying about the loft though.... i have ladders lights and boards down up there, but the hatch is small and akward.... i asked fao about having it in the garage(which is detached but on the house alarm..... he said he would consider it if i wanted to move it as the house is pretty out the way from the street........

i'll see how it goes, but i feel i may end up moving it in time..... once ive tidied the garage a bit that is !!!

Edited by myzeneye

have given up.....cabinets now screwed firmly to floor joists.....out of curiosity...has there been many reports of the theft of complete gun safes....it took two of us to carry it up the stairs with much sweat swear words etc etc....and it is empty !!!...5 guns usually in it 2 shot guns 3 rifles...a fair weight !!!