Car door mirror

Townie

Drove through a narrow gap on Friday. Car coming the other way had room to move over but didn't, which resulted in our door mirrors banging. Chap behind me pulled up next to me at the next set of lights told me I'd knocked the other guy's mirror off and suggested (very politely) I should go back and exchange details as he was collecting the bits.

I drove off because to my mind, it was at best 50/50 and I'd got no intention of discussing it. Was I right?

If someone had taken the time to pull alongside, they probably took the time to clock your registration plate.

I would have gone to see the other party and suggested that it was a fair trade, whereas now could it not be seen as leaving the scene of an incident? And you are supposed to remove any debris from the road surface if left by your vehicle and safe to do so, I think?

Edited by BSA Shaun

This happened to me a while back, we both agreed it was knock for knock even though i was stationary (couldnt be ***** with the hastle of insurance claim)

Turns out a whole new mirror from Vauxhall (heated / electric) fitted came to £390.00.

I wish now i had asked for his details :angry:

First off, who's right of way was it? You say the gap was narrow, was one of you on the wrong side of the road in this 'gap'?

You should stop too if you are involved in any collision with another vehicle to exchange details and check the other party is okay. Then decide if you wish between you wether to take it as 50/50 or not.

Technically, you left the scene of an accident without exchanging details.

I like a lot of people drive for a living, me I'm on the buses, and frequently get used for target practise!

Needles to say we have to report all incidents to our manager, no matter how small. I have had 1 occasion where

a white van man stoved a side window in half way down the off side, glass all over the passenger! Basically 2 lanes

where becoming 1, me on the inside with the outer lane having to give way as it was ending. Matey in the van pulls

in too much too soon, BANG window gets put in with his wing mirror, i stops gets out to exchange details, in time to see

him drive off, gets his reg. number and informs the depot and the police.

After several weeks police have found him but are not going to proceed with the matter as insufficient evidence!

So me and 5 people on the bus don't count! i will guess rightly or wrongly your safe, you may get a visit and a slap

on the wrist.

Sorry a bit off topic.

I use bus drivers and taxi drivers for taget practice as the ****** never appreciate it, when you give way to them when you dont have to.......

Just a thought :angry:

We need people like you on the road don't we. Show a little respect for other people

second the Moron :blink: :lol:

Jonno

I have had a few door mirrors clipped and never had anyone stop , I just assume its part of driving nowadays.

Most drivers don't seem to know it has happened, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

happens all the time in our road, like you i've never had or seen anyone stop but I reckon they all know its happened just don't want to stop :angry:

I take Cranfield's view that it's all part of the fun of driving these days - I've lost my share of wing mirrors in the last 33 years.

It really was 50/50 - parked vehicles both sides, both our offside tyres on the white line. I wouldn't have known I'd damaged his mirror if the third party hadn't told me.

Would the police waste their time on this? I'm worried now!

IIRC it's called a 'clack' in the trade, happened to me twice, once was his fault the second time was 50/50.

I stopped the first time to see if he would, but he stopped about 50 yards up the road to wait until I had gone.

My mirror was smashed in the road but his was perfect including the backing, so I stamped on his it so it looked just like mine :angry:

Yeah petty I know, but it evened it up for me as I knew damn well he would have seen me doing that and would have driven back to pick it up his bits after I had gone.

Neither of us bothered the second time it happened, it would have been a pointless conversation anyway.