Failed

Hunter

Best wishes mate, one of the reasons they need to have you using mental arithmetic is that you may need to provide a specific pressure at a specific height at a specific number of hose lengths from a pump and as such you need to do a quick calculation in your head and if you get it wrong then the guy at the head of the ladder will either get not enough water(not too bad) or too much water(very bad) and end up being pushed away from the building !!!!!!!

Another practical use is when you are a ECO and responsible for a BA team and need to know when their time of whistle is due and when they are due out/reliefs needed etc.

Apart from that it will be used for calculating how quick you are likely to empty your tank when using a hosereel/single line of hose or a twin length.

Don`t ever give up hope and I sincerely hope you manage to get through :good:

A little sarcasm of my own here, perhaps. All Brigades are required to fill up their ethnic and minority sex recruit quotas and with intending to be disrepectful a lot of Brigades have a habit of letting the minimum physical & educational standards slip, ever so slightly, :lol: to enable them to meet government targets (awaits shocked replies).

Methinks DaveK is the Watch Mess Manager :lol: VERY important job that he has to get dead right - OR ELSE!

Quota's? Hush your mouth Targets my man. TARGETS :lol: :blink: :lol::good:

Watch Mess Manager my ****. Assuming you're in the Lancs brigade, go down to Washington Hall and ask Carol Bolton who she's worked with in West Yorks. Anyway, can't cook won't cook. :lol:<_<

And Hunter, good luck mate and just be yourself. I had an email yesterday asking for volunteers to do some recruit interviews. Busily looking for a "get out of jail card" :lol: :lol:

Edited by DaveK

For me walking into the test center and sitting down is like a bad dream you really want to escape from, but you have to wait it out.. :good:<_<

If you read this before the exam today....

Try not to panic about it, having a clear head is half the battle.

You're not stupid and you _will_ pass the exam, maybe not this time but you will pass it.

You have to do it so you might as well make the most of it. DON'T PANIC.

When you've passed and you look back you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Good luck.

Nial.

DaveK

LANCASHIRE!!!!! Nope ex-GMFS when it used to be an excellent brigade. It's gone to the dogs with that idiot F**d W***er as Chairman of the Authority and the Chief kissing his backside. Well out of it now :yp: though I resented it at the time.

Steve

Edited by Biffo1262

Well I failed my fire fighter examination on maths, I could see that happening as my maths are a weak point. This week I will really be revising and have made some sacrifices.

I have sworn I will never drink alcohol untill I pass this exam, and for those of you who dont know me, I do like a good British ale or three where possible. :yp: So its going to be hard, but without keeping a clear mind and having a few things to work to, I will never get around to studying maths as I hate maths. On my wall is a shelf, on it is a small bottle of Special Reserve Tawny port, three ales, and the chance of a change in career.. something exciting. None of which I will touch untill I pass this exam, no matter how many times I have to go to the stressful testing center, and be put under high pressure of time to complete maths qeustions.

Prehaps I will have to ask a moderator to ban me from here for a while to stop me posting when I revise online. :lol: My retake is on the 18 of July, very little time, but this time I understand just how much I ned to learn, and for a dyslexic plank like myself this will be quite a challenge, the most important exam in my life since my driving practical exam. :lol:

For me walking into the test center and sitting down is like a bad dream you really want to escape from, but you have to wait it out.. :lol::lol:

The future is in your hands and no one else's

LB :lol:

Firstly I would like to say THANKS for all the encouraging PM's and posts on this topic. Its been very helpful. :lol:

As for the exam, it went very well. I revised and re-revised many times the:

Time in: Time Now: Amount of air: -----------> Time left:

Formula, which helped as there were a lot of qeustions based on this.

Then there were formulas for pipe length, pipe diameter, and flow rate. I had to suggest the correct pressure for each length of hose, thickness, and the feed rate they asked for.

And of course the other non mathematical modules which were equally challenging such as the 'NFA situational awareness&problem solving' :yp:

In two weeks I will be able to tell you if I passed or failed! I do see the relevence of all the qeustions in relation to the fire service, so it does not feel like a waste of time even when I fail.

Cheers!