Setting up

pavman

Right then,

back orf hols and the new Tikka T3 Light was ready to collect,

the scope I got orf Mung is fitted, S&B 8x56 fixed, looks the biz,

I need to set up Zero and my thought train is to take account of the farm I shoot mostly which is smallish cattle marsh with fields around 100X200 and thich headge between, in which case Zero at 150 would seem the logical starting point, rather than inch high at 100 to reach out at 200+ have got 60 rounds of Remmington 55grain Vmax

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/ammo/2263...dge_review.html

any advise :blush:

As bob says nothing more frustrating than have to work out hold under for close shots,then missing. :blush:

Why do you think that all the books, old hands etc zero 1" over at 100yds....... ie Robert Bucknell has years of experience and knows more than we will ever learn regarding .223 and foxing generally.

If it aint broke dont try to fix it :lol:

:oops: D2D

As bob says nothing more frustrating than have to work out hold under for close shots,then missing. :blush:

Why do you think that all the books, old hands etc zero 1" over at 100yds....... ie Robert Bucknell has years of experience and knows more than we will ever learn regarding .223 and foxing generally.

If it aint broke dont try to fix it :lol:

:oops: D2D

would not offer any argument, other than wishing to set up with my permission in mind

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/resource/re...s/223rembal.htm :lol:

Edited by pavman

Although I don't shoot a .223 by reading that article I would be inclined to zero as the others and be 1" high at 100yds, or bang on at 200.

Although zeroing at 200 will be harder when the wind blows.

As bob says nothing more frustrating than have to work out hold under for close shots,then missing. :P

If it aint broke dont try to fix it :yes:

:good: D2D

would not offer any argument, other than wishing to set up with my permission in mind

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/resource/re...s/223rembal.htm :hmm:

Fair comment, you must do what you are comfortable with, out of interest why did you choose Rems above the other brands for your new rifle?

Go with what works, even if you're 1/4 or 1/2 inch high or low at 200 it won't matter to a fox, he'll be dead. Remmy Accutips would be something like inch or inch and a half high at 100 to be bang on at 200 so I'd go with inch high at 100 and stick with it. I'm shooting 40 grain bullets at the moment so I only need just shy of an inch high at 100 to be on at 200. Zeroing at 200, well, as Martin says you'll need to wait for a very calm day. 90% of my foxes are under 150 yards I'd say, still when you get that sod you've been seeing for six months and the one night he happens to sit still for a few seconds he'll be well out past that, the extra few seconds thinking, sorry, cursing, then thinking about drop may well cause regrets.

As bob says nothing more frustrating than have to work out hold under for close shots,then missing. :P

If it aint broke dont try to fix it :yes:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/resource/re...s/223rembal.htm :hmm:

Fair comment, you must do what you are comfortable with, out of interest why did you choose Rems above the other brands for your new rifle?

a couple of reasons, I use rems in the .17 HMR and am very happy with them, many of the factory loads are made in the same place just diff sticker and price tag,. I needed to start somewhere hence only getting 60, I may plink up to a box getting sorted and that should tell me a lot, we put rems through my foxing partners 22-50 and so far with good effect so confidence is another good reason

Edited by pavman

Just out of interest, what twist rate did you get?

1in12

my smithy advised ideal for 55 grain and max out at 69grain more than enough for Charlie, as you know any more weight requires more spin but 12 or 14 is, i believe considered about right for joe avg in the field :P

Right then,

back orf hols and the new Tikka T3 Light was ready to collect,

the scope I got orf Mung is fitted, S&B 8x56 fixed, looks the biz,

I need to set up Zero and my thought train is to take account of the farm I shoot mostly which is smallish cattle marsh with fields around 100X200 and thich headge between, in which case Zero at 150 would seem the logical starting point, rather than inch high at 100 to reach out at 200+ have got 60 rounds of Remmington 55grain Vmax

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/ammo/2263...dge_review.html

any advise :P

If it was me I'd just zero bang on 100 yds .It's a nerve racking shot shooting 150+ yds at a Fox that's got his frame next to a hedge and tbh most shots are taken at 100 or even closer anyway .How high will your firing point be ,bi-pod or sticks for example

i would use 100yd zero you may want to try other rounds to see what your rifle likes or you may want to try reloading and you are going to find this a lot easier at 100 if you are using a new set up consistancy at 200 may be a little out of reach.

have fun :P

I also have mine zerod at 100yrds, and have learnt to dial up for longer shots,out of interest tried some 50 grain eagle last time I was home and all were shooting about 2" high at all ranges so find a good weight bullet and try to stick with it. Good luck. :good:

ummm 100 seems quite popular as well :hmm:

it occurs to me that on smaller permissions (like mine) 100 works well as you can hold over for a longer shot, however 1 inch hi on 100 is more or less zero at 150 for the Rem Vmax

my last Fox was 115 and the one before no more than 90 (varified with range finder) both head shots due to standing in crop and looking out at the lamp (peas) and marsh, the Rifle a 22 2250 (mates) is zero at 170 as he shoots big fields on his main permission, his longest is 280 but often takes a clean kill at 250, last year he shot 43 so I am in good hands mentor wise,

I am going to test fire fri prior to foxing but will not use the new rifle until its all set up, will let you know how it works out :good: