Terminal cancer

Ferret Master

Hi,

Echo went to the vets today as she has been struggling with going to the toilet lately and lost some weight.

She stayed in for the day for tests and it turns out she has lymphosahcoma. :):devil::yes:

I am not going to put her through chemo as it is terminal and it would only buy her a few extra months however we were prescribed some steroid tablets for 2 weeks which should remove any discomfort and pain.

I really don't know how to feel at the moment as I'm still in shock that the jill who bolted my first 2 rabbits is dying.

If I'm not at Bisley gents then you know why.

FM

I am always amazed at post like this as we the hunter are labelled as barbaric or murderers when we shoot things or neck a rabbit with our bare hands and then we can be so attached to our dogs and ferrets or other pets .

It just goes to show we have emotion and feeling.

My lab is my best friend who always wants to please .

Hopefully her departure will be a long way off but it is still a thought that I dread.

FM you have to do what is right its not about you .

Best Regards

My sympathies. Those who don't understand how you feel have no idea how much commitment goes into establishing a successful working partnership with an animal of another species.

Remember the good times when the team worked, its the least and best you can do.

Sorry to hear Olly. It is always a hard time when you loose one of your animals, God knows I lost more than most over the years and it doesn't get any easier. Keep her comfortable and enjoy your time together, you will know when its time.

My old mare Pride, died with her head in my lap yesterday and I would have it no other way.

NTTF

• 4 months later...

Well, she went downhill Saturday night and stayed in the house ever since and never did not have someone in the room with her. It was obvious what we had to do and I had her put to sleep this morning. The vet reckoned she had the signs of kidney failure appearing so I think I kept her on until she was ready. :good:

I can draw comfort from the fact she still saw some work and bolted rabbits back in October.

FM :D

FM, after I'd stopped my lip trembling reading your post...I have to say, she was a lucky lucky lass to have such a caring owner and that you kept her comfortable as long as possible, but you had the heart and the strength of mind to let her go when the time was right... :D

My thoughts are with you....we've recently lost our beautiful Golden Retriever, who went with his paw in his human Dad's hand and his head on his Mum's lap.......but if Echo could, she'd let you know that she's thankful and you did the right thing by her, up until her last day.

:good: softy I know....but animals leave a footprint on your heart that is for life!!