Shotgun advice

Elmer_fudd68

Hi

I'm new to shooting and have been clay shooting a few times and have now taken the leap to get my own shotgun. I'm just waiting for my license to arrive.

The gun i am thinking of getting is a Beretta 686E over/under Sporting 30" multi choke.

Is this a good choice for clay shooting and will i be able to use it for some game in the future??

Also some advice on the type/make of cartridge to use for clays and also game would be good.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

:lol:

I would answer yes to all your questions, good all round clay gun which could also be used for game.

As for carts, get Eley firsts in shot size 7.5 or 8's, currently competitively priced compared to the others and do the job well.

Edit to say welcome to the forum and the sport!

Edited by Bagsy

Only thing to note on the Beretta, is that standard comb heights are on the low side, and you may need a comb raiser to get the right rib picture.

Quick test is, with correct stance and shoulder mount, your eye should be enough above the back of the rib that you can see over a £1-00 coin balanced about 9" down the rib, and still see the bead. If the coin blocks the bead, the combs too low.

Only thing to note on the Beretta, is that standard comb heights are on the low side, and you may need a comb raiser to get the right rib picture.

Quick test is, with correct stance and shoulder mount, your eye should be enough above the back of the rib that you can see over a £1-00 coin balanced about 9" down the rib, and still see the bead. If the coin blocks the bead, the combs too low.

I dont understand this, sorry im not knit picking but surely in this case you would be shooting over your targets??

I look directly straight down the flat of the barrels.

Thanks for the advice people.

I will be going for the 686E then.

The price i've found is £1264 for the new one. Seems quite a good price for it.

Also does anyone know a good starting point of the choke set up to start with for clays.

I know i'll end up tweaking it as i get used to the gun, but a starting point for a beginner would be very helpful.

I look forward to hearing how you get on tweedledee!

Thanks all

My dad bought a new 686 and ended up selling it after having all manner of problems with it (I can get more details if you want). He bought it thinking that it would be a smooth ride and he'd be smokin clays like a demon, however it spent the best part of 6 months back in the factory in Italy, which was mainly down to the time that it got shipped back there for repair. It was sent out in late June and because the Italians have August off they didn't bother starting in the July and when they got back, couldn't be ***** it the September either, then they started to work through their backlog of work in October.

Now don't get me wrong the 686 is a nice gun and if your happy paying Beretta prices 9/10 you'll get a great gun I'm sure. This isn't to scare you its just a word to the wise that just cause you buy a Beretta doesn't mean it can't go wrong. As I said before if you want more info to arm yourself (no pun intended) when it comes to talking to the dealer about the gun then feel free to ask.

Hi

I'm new to shooting and have been clay shooting a few times and have now taken the leap to get my own shotgun. I'm just waiting for my license to arrive.

The gun i am thinking of getting is a Beretta 686E over/under Sporting 30" multi choke.

Is this a good choice for clay shooting and will i be able to use it for some game in the future??

Also some advice on the type/make of cartridge to use for clays and also game would be good.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

:good:

Shop around a bit, I have just picked up the Black action special edition 686e for my lad for £1125. Teague choked as well. Look on guntrader you should pick a bargain.

Edited by starlight32

thanks all for the advice. I've been offered a 3 year g/tee for £1250 for a new 686e and will prob go for it.

Just wish the licence would drop through the letterbox asap!!!!

Any other advice for catridges for clays and for game (in time!) would be good!

Plan on buying 1000 at a time and split the cost with a friend

Any good websites for getting cartridges??

thanks all for the advice. I've been offered a 3 year g/tee for £1250 for a new 686e and will prob go for it.

Just wish the licence would drop through the letterbox asap!!!!

Any other advice for catridges for clays and for game (in time!) would be good!

Plan on buying 1000 at a time and split the cost with a friend

Any good websites for getting cartridges??

If you want to buy online, then here is your place

http://www.justcartridges.com/

I assume that you mean a £1 coin laying flat on the rib not balancing as in standing upright.

You would have to be some kind of freak to be able to see the bead over an upright £1 coin 9" down the rib. I doubt even olympic trap shooter see that much rib.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Clayman. If you look straight down the barrel you'll be below, though the CPSA say 20cm (nearer 8') from the breach. An easier way, if you have the nipple half way down the barrel, is to make a figure of 8 between it and the bead at the end. This is what the nipple half way down the barrel is for... :good: