Cartridge To bird Ratio?

HaveToShoot

Hi All

I have been keeping tabs this season on my cartridge to bird ratio. Up until this point Im sitting at 1.8 cartridges/bird. The last few times out Ive been really concentrating on keeping my shooting basic sound. Getting my hide placed right so I can get a good shooting stance and leaving far birds alone. I read a post by Cranfield in which he talks about "20 min birds". I like this idea and have only been taking birds interested in the decoys or a good distance passing shot. I would like to think the others come back during the day at some point. I think it brings a bit more challenge, fun and makes me concentrate on good shooting basics

I was wondering what some of you guys consider a good cartridge/bird ratio in this pigeon game? Have any of you got any rough idea where you sit in relation to this?

Just curious

All the pundits will tell you that a ratio of 3 (cartridges) to 1 (bird) is about average for pigeon shooting BUT let me tell you that in my experience the average among most pigeon shooters is more like 8/9 (cartridges) to 1 (bird) :stupid: Just goes to prove you shouldn't believe all you read (on here especially! :rolleyes: )

Dont get me wrong Ive had plenty of days with all types of shotgun shooting where it just wont go right. I hate those days :rolleyes: . Very frustrating. I enjoy when my shooting is rubbish and bear down on the day and get it sorted out. The other day for example I was just way to excited and poking at them. Missed a whack of easy shots Im glad I was alone cuz started talking to myself :stupid: to slow down and follow through. Got it sorted and had a good day.

I was just curious on an average taking in to account good and bad shooting days

If you're around a 50% kill ratio then that's good going. Totally agree that the key is to spend some time getting you're hide right. It's tempting to rush, especially when birds are zooming about and keen to come into whatever you're decoys are on. I find that the type of netting is key also - need to be able to see through it until you pop-up for the shot. :rolleyes:

I'm keeping tabs on my kill but also second shot ratio. This is the one that I find most frustrating, but also enjoyable. If the 'easy' shot of a bird coming into land is missed, it's always good to get the more challenging shot as they beat a hasty retreat. Similarly a 'left-right' is always a great feeling!

I have been SG shooting for a year now. I don't do clays and just shoot crows and pigeon so I'm no expert shot. :rolleyes:

I tend to average approx 60-70% hit ratio. On good days, restricting shots to 40m and not being silly, I'd typically shoot 15 birds with 20 cartridges.

If I start concentrating on cartridge to kill ratio my shooting becomes unatural and I start missing behind (because I am trying too hard and not relaxed).

I also find I relax more if I use a 'click' counter so I'm not trying to remember how many birds I have hit. :stupid: :o

Si

On occasion I will have 7-8 shots when i first start for no birds but then bag the next 10 for a cartridge a peice. which screws up my average but i know its just getting my eye back in and the balls rollling againthen, its being used to shooting clays and then going to pigeons that jinx in and out of the trees !

Hi All

I have been keeping tabs this season on my cartridge to bird ratio. Up until this point Im sitting at 1.8 cartridges/bird. The last few times out Ive been really concentrating on keeping my shooting basic sound. Getting my hide placed right so I can get a good shooting stance and leaving far birds alone. I read a post by Cranfield in which he talks about "20 min birds". I like this idea and have only been taking birds interested in the decoys or a good distance passing shot. I would like to think the others come back during the day at some point. I think it brings a bit more challenge, fun and makes me concentrate on good shooting basics

I was wondering what some of you guys consider a good cartridge/bird ratio in this pigeon game? Have any of you got any rough idea where you sit in relation to this?

Just curious

I sat and totaled last seasons ratios only the other day.

I shot just over 1100 Pigeon last season (Aug - March) over 52 days and ended up with a ratio of 1.75 shots per bird.

So far this season I have been out 5 times, shot 206 Woodies for 346 shots. A ratio of 1.67.

I don't suspect I will manage that all year though!

I am very pleased on the odd days when my kills to cartridges aproaches 50-50. More usualy its between 2.5 and 3 cartridges per bird over the whole season and all types of pigeon shooting ( I shoot far better at very high overhead shots than when they are hovering over the decoys at 20 yards ).

I did have a good day last year when I got 148 pigeons for 172 shots , but on the other hand i was trying a new over and under gun the other day and only managed 56 pigeons for 224 shots. I missed every crossing shot and almost all the birds i killed were high overhead birds. Plenty of chances of right and lefts , but the Nikko o\u was so clumbersome i never seemed to have the time to aim at a second bird before it was out of range. Its back to the side by side 48 birds with 60 shots with it and a number of right and lefts. The AYA no 3 was like a wand compared to the gas pipe of the Nikko 5000 for me.

Edited by anser2

The best shooting I've seen this year was a Swedish client about 5 weeks ago who shot 105 birds with 145 shots for the day. He was using a 101 year old side by side that his wife bought him for his birthday (can't remember the make), this was his first trip out with the gun. It was kicking him badly on the cheek and by the end of the 3 days shooting he had a weeping sore the size of a 50p on his cheek. Didn't effect his shooting though!

I told him I could scrape a bit off the stock with my penknife for him, it didn't go down well! :)

Mark.

I tend to shoot with a mate in the same hide and the the problem we have is the follow on shot after the first person has shot which is usually a very long shot which nocks up the average. You may remember on of my previous posts when I was asked to shoot a hole in the barley and had 112 for 125 shells that was effective shooting for the Farmer but very repetative i.e. let one land in the hole then shoot the next one hovering and the one leaving the hole.

I shoot to enjoy it not to kill sitters in the decoys. Every time you go out you remember the good shots and to me thats what it all about.

I tend to shoot with a mate in the same hide and the the problem we have is the follow on shot after the first person has shot which is usually a very long shot which nocks up the average. You may remember on of my previous posts when I was asked to shoot a hole in the barley and had 112 for 125 shells that was effective shooting for the Farmer but very repetative i.e. let one land in the hole then shoot the next one hovering and the one leaving the hole.

I shoot to enjoy it not to kill sitters in the decoys. Every time you go out you remember the good shots and to me thats what it all about.

I totally agree about the shot quality. I'd rather have 1 screaming over-head shot than 5 hovering over the decoys. :thanks: The special ones are for my memory.

Happy shooting

Si

Pigeon Controller, You are probably better off doing what i do if i share a hide.

I used to do the same as you but found that you either clean miss, knock a load of feathers out of them or drop em where you cant find or pick them.

What i do now with far better results is take it in turns shooting with the non shooting man staying seated all the time until the shooter has emptied his gun and sat down.

This way the shooter can concentrate on any bird, without waiting so both of you can get a shot etc etc + there is always the safety aspect of it.

How many times do you have a pair coming in beautifully then one turns away just before they get in range.

Try it it works a treat and you get into the swing of sitting back down as soon as you have emptied your gun thus occasionly giving the other gun a shot cheers straight barrels Smokey :thanks::lol::lol:

All the pundits will tell you that a ratio of 3 (cartridges) to 1 (bird) is about average for pigeon shooting BUT let me tell you that in my experience the average among most pigeon shooters is more like 8/9 (cartridges) to 1 (bird) :lol: Just goes to prove you shouldn't believe all you read (on here especially! :thanks: )

My average has been 3 to 1 since I can remember and I dont seem able to better it, it became an obsession at one time abit like a golf handicap I suppose, the birds that "cost" me lost points were left to rights in a 90mph tailwind :lol: For some reason I am unable to make contact with those very well, but shooting with a semi certainly helped in keeping the average up.

:lol: D2D

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for my first time today ??? and shot at a 1.7:1 ratio (only shot 3 birds though! haha, and used 5 carts). Didn't use decoys or hides, just me and my gun and walked around the field a few times, scaring them out of the woods or getting the passers by. Then, not surprisingly, the rain set in, so i put my gun away and walked home, missing out on 3 really easy shots! Well annoyed.

Can't wait to go out again, and the Maize is harvested i'll invest in some decoys.

Anyone know if pigeons like maize stubble? I get the feeling they wouldn't, but perhaps they'd come to the decoys anyway?