MAC10's

Mungler

Saw that this chap is getting some serious porridge:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/7576925.stm

However, whilst I understand that it is relatively easy to re-activate one of these (with the right tools and some basic engineering skills) I wondered where the ammo would have come from.

I can't think that there are too many legitimate firearms in the country that use a short 9mm centre fire round.

I am not up on my calibres but is there much call / supply for 9 mm rounds.

EDIT:

I would assume that he might have used blank round casings and used some sort of reloading press.

Hmmmm.

Edited by Mungler

9mm Parabellum must be pretty easy to come by in the criminal fraternity - it's not an exotic round, although ammo is meant to be much harder to acquire than a firearm on the street.

I am just playing devil's advocate, but there may be a friendly Police/Forces Armourer out there who's not averse to the odd bribe for delivering a quantity of 9x19mm. It could have been smuggled in from abroad. Or as you say, he could well have loaded them to order using a multi-press?

There's a video of the guns being test fired (by the cops, that is) -judging by the shape of the bullet holes I'd say the barrels were smoothbored. No point in cutting rifling into a barrel that's going to be used gangsta style, eh?

To be fair, a big noise is being made over the fact that he converted blank firers to shoot live ammo, but the open bolt 9mm submachine gun is one of the easiest and simplest automatic guns to make- just look at the Sten. The parts for that (bar the barrels) were made by cottage industries around Britain, and assembled at Enfield. Not sophisticated, but it worked pretty well. Also compare the US "Grease gun"- I reckon a real grease gun had more moving parts. Coupla stampings, bolt, barrel, spring, trigger group, magazine. Hell, it didn't even have a cocking handle- they just left a finger sized hole in the bolt for you!

Edited by Windknot

Saw that this chap is getting some serious porridge:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshire/7576925.stm

However, whilst I understand that it is relatively easy to re-activate one of these (with the right tools and some basic engineering skills) I wondered where the ammo would have come from.

I can't think that there are too many legitimate firearms in the country that use a short 9mm centre fire round.

I am not up on my calibres but is there much call / supply for 9 mm rounds.

EDIT:

I would assume that he might have used blank round casings and used some sort of reloading press.

Hmmmm.

Couldnt agree more, Ive been saying that for years! A gun without ammo is no more dangerous than a rolling pin,

if the powers that be stopped the illegal import of the ammo there'd be no problem.

There's a video of the guns being test fired (by the cops, that is) -judging by the shape of the bullet holes I'd say the barrels were smoothbored. No point in cutting rifling into a barrel that's going to be used gangsta style, eh?

To be fair, a big noise is being made over the fact that he converted blank firers to shoot live ammo, but the open bolt 9mm submachine gun is one of the easiest and simplest automatic guns to make- just look at the Sten. The parts for that (bar the barrels) were made by cottage industries around Britain, and assembled at Enfield. Not sophisticated, but it worked pretty well. Also compare the US "Grease gun"- I reckon a real grease gun had more moving parts. Coupla stampings, bolt, barrel, spring, trigger group, magazine. Hell, it didn't even have a cocking handle- they just left a finger sized hole in the bolt for you!

I noticed that he didnt get a very good group :P , would that be because its smooth bore or hes a bad shot :good: