Gun Cabinets

Carley

Hi, my boyfriend has bought a gun cabinet and he wants to fix it to one of the outside walls which he has been told is required. The only thing is the skirting board is in the way. We were going to take it off to fix the cabinet to the wall but there are pipes all along the bottom of the walls right the way through our house.

Can we put the cabinet on the wall but about a foot off the floor?

Thanks

Carley

Edited by Carley

Hi, my boyfriend has bought a gun cabinet and he wants to fix it to one of the outside walls which he has been told is required. The only thing is the skirting board is in the way. We were going to take it off to fix the cabinet to the wall but there are pipes all along the bottom of the walls right the way through our house.

Can we put the cabinet on the wall but about a foot off the floor?

Thanks

Carley

Before you do anything I would say you should talk to the local firearms department. They knocked back my mates arrangements because he had fitted the thing up off the floor. They claimed that a burglar could put a jack under the cabinet and jack it off the wall, which if they put a steel plate on the floorboards, they probably could have done. His was about six inches off the floor and they made him put it in the loft on the chimney breast wall.

I think the cops are happy to send someone out to advise you, so I would take advantage of that and save yourself possible grief.

I think there is a pdf somewhere which contains Home Office Guidelines that they all use now. - Yes - here it is:

Home Office Security Guidelines

Edited by Evilv

funnily enough it can depend a bit on how visable it is etc, if you can put it in a built in wardrobe or something that stops people seeing it they prefer it. Though fundamentally you aren't actually obliged to have a cabinet but thats another story

I thought that was only for shotguns - FAC you have to have a certificate?

Mine used to be raised from the floor about 4 inches. Now I have a newer bigger cabinet this time I cut a gap in the skirting and dropped it to the floor and bolted it to the floor as well as the wall. They werent fussed about mine being raised before, But I did fill in the void underneath with a box I built and had that screwed in.

I pried the skirting away from the wall (why do they put skirting INSIDE a closet anyway?!) and trimmed it to size with a jigsaw. It was a PITA, and I may have said one or two naughty words along the way.

If you're in rented accomodation make sure you can get skirting that matches what you're about to remove before you cut anything up. When you move, claim that there'd been some water damage, but that you fixed it up at your own expense :stupid:

I've done this twice now;

Butt the cabinet up against the skirting and bolt to the floor. Add a peice of chipboard/MDF the same thickness as the skirting and the dimensions of the cabinet. Slide behind, so now the cabinet is up against this board and the skirting.

Drill through the mounting holes in the cabinet, through the wood, and into the wall. Remove cabinet and wood, add rawbolt anchors into the holes in the wall. Refit the cabinet and wood to the wall, insert bolts through holes and tighten.

This way, its bolted to the wall 100% securely, and the skirting does not cause a problem because you have a spacer peice of wood behind.

I'd go for the idea of a spacer between the cabinet and wall, to get it in front of the pipes. A good thick length of timber would do well. When I moved recently I used concrete bolts instead of shield anchors and they make life so easy. Just line the wood and cabinet up where you want them and hammer drill straight through the holes in the cabinet, through the wood and into the wall with the correct size bit. The bolts just screw into the concrete, and once in are as solid as a shield anchor if not better.

That will be a lot better than having to move the wood and cabinet after marking the holes, drilling the wood, putting it all back, marking and drilling the wall, putting it all back again and trying to line up the bolts in the anchors. The anchors are bigger than the hole in the cabinet so you can't just drill through and fix them. A right pain in the **** if you ask me!

Mine's off the floor, just above the skirting, fixed using 6 of those concrete bolts, and I didn't have a problem with my FAO.

Before I got my own SGC, and just my Dad had one, the cabinet was in the attic, laid down and screwed into the ceiling joists, now it is on the ground floor, but is hidden in a cupboard, the FAO said he'd rather it be on the ground floor and easily accessible to put a gun away than in the attic and have the risk of someone not bothering to put the gun away because it was too much hassle, late at night etc etc.

Just use common sense and you should be ok IMO.

Sam :lol: