new to shooting pigeons (help please)

shawn9914

Shawn, welcome to P/Watch.

I am afraid that wheat at this time of year does not appear on the Woodpigeon's menu and it will be many months until it ripens and gets beaten down before they show a big interest in it.

You might fool one or two with a good decoy pattern out as they fly over your fields but never expect a good day's shooting on wheat at this time of year.

The birds flying over your fields are more likely on their way to winter rape and this is where you should start looking for your shooting.

Welcome Shawn to the pigeon watch club,

I was new to decoying myself this year but after a few months reading and asking questions on this site you will be confident that when you go out shooting your going to stand a great chance of getting a bag.

The lads are from all walks of life and are into every type of shooting and hunting you can think of so don’t be afraid to ask about other forms of shooting as someone on the forum will be a veteran on the subject.

Welcome once again, and good luck in your search for the fast agile testing target...The Pigeon.

The PM

Hi Shawn. do the pigeons fly over certain trees, hedges etc. Are they at a height they can be shot? If so you may well be able to ambush them on their flight lines in and out of your fields. sometimes even though the pigeons are not feeding on your fields, a well placed decoy set up under a flight line can persuade them to come closer to investigate. Though they are unlikely to drop into decoys this way, they will very often drop lower and pass over the top of them having a look and can provide great sport. Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Peregrine

hi there everyone

thanks for your help on my last question hope i dont seem to daft but eveyone was new to pigeon shooting at one time anyway i have been out to some more land i can shoot on. there are a number of oil seed rape fields surrounded by large woodland all the pigeons seem to be in the woods and non on the rape if i set up some decoys will they land to feed or should i try and shoot them when they come in to land in the trees and take off again also how many decoys if any should i use?

thanks for all the help and happy blasting

Shawn if you check recent posts in "TALK FROM THE FIELD." you will notice that everyone is seeing the same as yourself at the moment.

The pigeons have still got plenty of food in their woods at the moment and are not yet hitting the rape in large numbers.

If we get a cold snap they will be on the rape big time, then you will be asking us why after 1 shot, 500 birds vanish into thin air.

All good sport and you will be hooked on it believe me. :lol:

Hello Shawn,

Welcome to the asylum. Erns right about rape in winter; it can be (but isn't always) problematical.

The best rape shooting is on the ripe crop when it's been dessicated by spraying, cut into swathes and been left to dry, or recently havested (i.e. the stubble). I'd hazard a guess that many of the guys have had their biggest scores on rape stubble.

The embuggerance is that farmers, estate managers and the like want the birds kept off the growing crop and if you aren't prepared to tackle it for them, they can be reluctant to let you have a go on the easy stuff. So you have to get stuck in.

Sometimes you'll do quite well, sometimes you won't. When it's not so good, just grin and bear it; it's better than painting the kitchen!

Eug

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wb and cranfield

you say that pigeons can be decoyed over anything

i have a really good flight line on the field in front of my house litterally hundreds come back to roost from 2pm onwards every day

they seem a little too far into the field to shoot sometimes all though i have shot some on the flight line before but boy do they shift especially when the wind is behind them

would you suggest i set a decoy pattern up to tempt them or not will they come into land on the wheat field at this time of year :D

cheers shawn

ps i cant wait untill its stubble :devil::D:D

hi cranfield

they roost in the woods directly behind my house but i do not have permision to shoot in this field and i do not seem to be able to find out a phone number or address of the people that own it as it is not the farmer who owns the one in front of my house

this farmer told me the name of the brothers that own it but i have no other details !!!!! very distresing :devil:

i would have a great day if i could shoot off my back garden as they use my house as a marker and fly directly over it which really takes the p*** they fly so low and slow when they reach my house i could almost catch them in my fishing landing net :D:D:D

also i dont seem to see many in the day they seem to go off and feed elsewhere and only come back to roost here ,with the odd few exceptions

cheers shawn