Do I need a multi choke gun?

V8landy

Hi

Just been looking in my local gun shop and seen a very nice S/H Betetta (I think it was a 686S) but it is 28" fixed (single choke) £590

I am wanting the gun for rough/game shooting mainly.

I then when to my other gun shop and ended up looking at Silver Pigeons (new and used) and the ultralight version, all of which are multi choke. £1200 - £1600 !

Do I need multi choke?

Edited by V8landy

Go for multi choke, everyone says it doesn't matter but only because they found out for themselves. You can play about with chokes while you're a beginner then settle on a combination that suits you. And if you like to shoot lots of different clay disciplines as well as live quarry then you have freedom to change to suit. But i guess on the other hand if you're only rough/game shooting then why not fixed choke!

Not intrested in clays, you can not eat them!

Not much point in multi choke then. :)

You can play about with chokes while you're a beginner

And that's what cocks you up :yes:

Really? Not so sure, not everyone becomes obsessed with chokes, i personally preferred the option of figuring out what i wanted to shoot with in beginning, found it and settled with it. If/when i did shoot live quarry I'd tighten up a size in each barrel.

Anyway V8Landy, good luck with whatever you get, sounds like you've got the budget to pick up a lovely gun! :lol:

choked 1/4 1/2 what exactly does that mean? :lol: surley chokes will not all act the same with different ammo?

If a choke says choked 1/4 1/2 on it does it mean that it is so? what if the chokes have been opened up? is the only way to tell by firing at a patterning plate?

Edited by perfect

iv got a beretta silver pigeon s fixed choke and use it for clays and hopefully some live quarry , it does,nt really bother me being fixed choke as i think if you missing :) you'll stard worrying about have i got the right choke is it to tight to slack etc etc its just another exscuse for missing :yes: so i for one dont bother with them at the end of the day if you point the gun in the right direction then your going to hit it regardless of choke type ,

as above £590 sounds like a bargain if its in nice condition hope you get sorted mate :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

OK guys this is a very simple question for those of you who are experienced shots.

Which choke is which?

Lanber chokes are labeled:

C.L. **** *** ** * in guide manuals which of these are 1/4 or 1/2 etc.

Also the chokes themselves have lines engraved in their top with 4 lines on one down to 0 lines on another.

Your help much appreciated.

Cheers

Aled