Maize - whats that then?

tullyhubbert

I'm assuming the stuff I had to walk around today is Maize, there seems to be a lot of it in my area now when previously there was none. Currently about shoulder height, green, hollow stem, no corn on the cob, its Maize right? I'm thinking its not for corn on the cob they are growing it but for animal feed, so when is it harvested and how, combine? Seen a few pheasants dropping into it today, I doubt it but does it provide any feeding or interest to pigeons?

--

Tullyhubbert

Sounds like maize but should have cobs on, will be harvested within the next month or so by self propelled forage harvester, spillages usually mean that there will be corn left on field to attract birds for a couple of weeks after. Farmers normally spread muck on the stubble which is good for ferals, crows and rooks.

Sounds like maize but should have cobs on

Update, my bro now says here was indeed a cob in the centre of the stem wrapped in green leaves. I never seen any though it was dark first thing this morning and on the return journey it was chucking down with rain and my equipment bag weighed twice as much as on the outward journey! I'll call round and have a check tomorrow again.

Thanks --

Tullyhubbert

If you should get lucky enough to shoot some maize stubble ,either from a farmed crop or from a cover crop you will be a very lucky man . This is proberbly one of the best crops you will ever shoot pigeons over.

:D Excellent, I like the sound of that, there is probably 100+ acres of it beside barley/corn stubble. So a month or so to harvest, :good:

--

Tullyhubbert

Hope and pray that your farmer dosent want to plough it in to quickly . Get into it at the first oppotunity . Harnser .

You mean like the farmed did over my back fence!

Came home friday, it was cut, he is out there now (IN THE DARK!) ploughing it in!

But think he is going to broad cast beans

As I expected it's Maize.

Maize.jpg

And it does indeed have a cob, you can tell Jake was impressed by the sight of his first cob, as was I :lol:

Impressed.jpg

Was chatting to the farmer on the ground next-door today, he reckons it will be harvested in about a months time. Apparently it's cut and everything (Stalks and cobs) is chopped into little pieces by a silage harvester and everything is fed to stock over the winter. There seemed to be 1-3 cobs per stem, I had a nibble at one of them and it was nice and sweet, certainly good enough for human consumption I'd say :look:

Hopefully Cushat is wrong and the pigeons will flock to it when harvested :lol:

I was down your way yesterday Tullyhubbert. I noticed quite a bit of maize being grown. Usually a fodder crop this side as we just don't grow enough of it for anything else.

Where a bouts are you Becassier? Have you ever seen pigeons feeding on Maize stubble?

--

Tullyhubbert

Lots more maize about n.ireland this year Tullyhubbert. Although we have a farmer who has planted it over the last 5 yrs or so and have found that it attracted crows for a few days but farmers tend to cut it so low and leave very little. Have never had any success on it with pigeons.

Although will be keeping an eye on it in hte near future as there is 10 times more of it about. Good cover for the pheasants as well.

Was out today for a bit of a recce and noticed that a few fields of maize were cut. Must get a photo up, but the crows were taking an interest in it.But no pigeons. Found the pigeons on uncut spring barley, so hope to get a bit of shooting tomorrow and perhaps a chance at the pheasants.

Sorry for not replying sooner....been away for a few days on a shooting trip.

I am in Co. Armagh, Tullyhubbert.

We had some maize on our driven shoot, on one of the outlying farms. Held some birds later in the year but I never rated it much. It was harvested for fodder. Maybe I got it wrong but I reckon it's a messy crop and that particular piece of land, which was well drained, is now a muddy field. Could be the harvesting method or just the fact that our winters seem to be getting wetter in this part of the country.

Was lying soaking in the bath last night and noticed webbing growing between my toes!

Another sign of the wet weather here in Ireland I expect!

Becassier