Snow coming in !!!

ditchman

One of my old shooting buddies told me when the snow was coming he went out to a young crop and took a large piece of visquene (plastic sheet, used in the building trade) and pegged it out before the snow fell, then the next day he went back ...lifted the sheet approx 20m x 30 m and put a few deeks out (he used sawn off bits of grey plastic guttering ) and settled back in the hide and waited for the action to start !!! as everywhere was white this area stuck out like a saw thumb.

ive shot pigeons whilst it was snowing and had good results, i think they get confused and keep on coming around and round again.............have any of you guys and gals had simalar experiences in the snowy weather and how did you set up...was it preplanned or did it just happen. :lol:

regards ditchman

We rarely get real snow in the SEast anymore, but back in the 60s/70s when we did, I have often used the same tactics as your friend, but with pieces of canvas tarp.

Now, when there has been a slight fall, I always look for the lea side of woods and high hedges, anywhere sheltered and showing some greenery, thats where the pigeons will be.

During heavy snow storms, I have had some excellent shooting in the woods.

Most birds don't like flying in heavy snow, rain, or fog.

Another good place is a Kale crop or similar - the green crop stands out well againt the white snow, many years ago we used to have 2 Kale cover crops on different sides of my fathers old shoot and when it snowed, we would set up hides by both and you could shoot pigeons going back and forth all day

We rarely get real snow in the SEast anymore, but back in the 60s/70s when we did, I have often used the same tactics as your friend, but with pieces of canvas tarp.

Now, when there has been a slight fall, I always look for the lea side of woods and high hedges, anywhere sheltered and showing some greenery, thats where the pigeons will be.

During heavy snow storms, I have had some excellent shooting in the woods.

Most birds don't like flying in heavy snow, rain, or fog.

Snowflakes falling very lightly but sun is shining brightly, so no chance of it laying.

Rgds D2D.

been driving round this morning and about 2" of snow every where, saw 2 fields of rape with areas that are about 4" tall so the tops of the plants are exposed and both fields were blue with birds on the well grown plants, one of the fields had about 1 acre of pigeons on it, there must have been 10000+, unfortunately i cannot shoot either field and the main flight line in was over some one else's land. The birds at the end of the flock were only 20m from the road and paid no attention when i parked up to have a look. if the snow is still here i the morning i may well try several camo nets spread on the ground and see if this will draw anybirds.

mikee

• 1 year later...