own firearm certificate or gun import to the UK??

glogin

Hi all,

I am originally from Poland but I have been in the UK for some time now. Game / clay shooting and also deer stalking is my passion, but I have not tried doing that here in the UK yet. I have my firearm certificate in Poland but I would like to continue my hobby here. I know it is always an option to pay and go shooting with a professional. However, I am wondering if it is possible to bring my own gun to the UK. Is it possible? If yes how complicated is that? On the other hand, I have read about applying for the firearm certificate in the UK. The problem is that I would have to find two people who would be my referee (UK residents, gun owners, know me for at least two years, etc.) and I am not sure if I could find such people. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg and welcome to the forum!

My advice would be to go to your local Police Station and ask to speak to the Firearms Enquiry Officer - or to have his phone number and to give him a call. He will be able to give you the best advice on your situation.

Hope that is of some help!

Hi Greg and welcome to the forum!

My advice would be to go to your local Police Station and ask to speak to the Firearms Enquiry Officer - or to have his phone number and to give him a call. He will be able to give you the best advice on your situation.

Hope that is of some help!

:lol: and :yes:

Hi all,

I am originally from Poland but I have been in the UK for some time now. Game / clay shooting and also deer stalking is my passion, but I have not tried doing that here in the UK yet. I have my firearm certificate in Poland but I would like to continue my hobby here. I know it is always an option to pay and go shooting with a professional. However, I am wondering if it is possible to bring my own gun to the UK. Is it possible? If yes how complicated is that? On the other hand, I have read about applying for the firearm certificate in the UK. The problem is that I would have to find two people who would be my referee (UK residents, gun owners, know me for at least two years, etc.) and I am not sure if I could find such people. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg

hello and welcome to the forum.

stunning written for someones second language is the above.

congratulations.

I came to the UK in 2004. I spent 12 months in Essex and then 6 months in London. Then I went back to Poland for about 18 months. And returned about 14 months ago. Now I live in Scotland.

I believe that visitors permit might be easier to obtain as it is required to have only one 'sponsor'. The reason why I would prefer to have my own firearm certificate is that I travel a few times a year to Poland and shoot there. Driven boar shooting is something you cannot easily forget if you tried it once.. :yes:

The other reason is that I would have to deal with Polish police, which is not a pleasant process and certainly takes quite a lot of time to get a permit to take my gun from Poland.

And the third reason is that I own quite large calibres - 7x64 and 30-06, not so useful in the UK (maybe except red deer and fallow).

I am also wondering if there is an upper limit for how long the visitors permit is valid.

Thanks for all replies. I will probably call my local police station and ask.

Greg

Edited by glogin

just get your own FAC. Sounds like you are a resident by any definition. Apply for the guns that you already own (plus what you'd like to add) and write an additional note in your application that you already own them under a polish permit and that the guns are in poland. Assuming you are granted a FAC, ask them to type in the gun info directly onto your certificate for the guns you own.

I did the same when I got my FAC and SGC. They added all of my requested guns to my certificates before they issued them. Then when I came through customs it was already printed on the form. I don't think I would have been legal to add them myself as you would a normal firearms purchase, which is why I asked them to do it.

Thanks,

Rick

that was my biggest difficulty as well. Fortunately, the company I work for is british and I have a few co-workers that I've known for more than 2 years (well more than 3 years now) who were willing. Might want to dig back to your first times living here if there was an employer or someone else you knew then that still lives here.

Thanks,

Rick

Just remember that a FAC requires two people who have known you for at least two years - that's it (they don't need to be gun owners), whereas a SGC requires someone of a strict profession to be your referee - ie doctor, lawyer, solicitor etc etc, who has known you for at least two years

Thanks all,

If it is at least 5 years to get FAC or SGC the only chance for me is to get visitors permit. Rick, was it the case when you applied for your FAC?

I do not have a European Firearms Pass but I can get one from Polish police.

I am also wondering if it is possible to get visitors permit when a shooting agency acts as an application supporter. European Firearms Pass can be given for up to 5 years period (and then extended is necessary). I might be possible to apply for visitors permit for a period of 2-3 years and then switch to FAC + SGC :good:

I would like to bring my 12b Merkel s/s shotgun and 7x64 Brno rifle (and leave 12b / .30x06 Fair combo for driven hunt in Poland).

Greg

As far as I am aware, you have to have been resident for a total of 5 years in the UK before you can apply for an SGC or FAC.

Brad

Thanks all,

If it is at least 5 years to get FAC or SGC the only chance for me is to get visitors permit. Rick, was it the case when you applied for your FAC?

I do not have a European Firearms Pass but I can get one from Polish police.

I am also wondering if it is possible to get visitors permit when a shooting agency acts as an application supporter. European Firearms Pass can be given for up to 5 years period (and then extended is necessary). I might be possible to apply for visitors permit for a period of 2-3 years and then switch to FAC + SGC :good:

I would like to bring my 12b Merkel s/s shotgun and 7x64 Brno rifle (and leave 12b / .30x06 Fair combo for driven hunt in Poland).

Greg

Greg,

No, there is no residency term requirement for applying for a SGC or FAC. I applied having been here for 3 months and was granted at 5 months. The difficulty for time is having two residents who have known you for 2 years. If you've only been in the country for 5 months, then you need to have met them before you came here some how. Then of course you need land to shoot on, but I got lucky there with my landlord.

I think you'll find that if you read the description of the visitor's permit that you'll probably not be classed as a visitor. You're not coming here for a visit or a competition. You're moving here for an unknown length of time. That would make you a resident by most classification schemes. Best bet is to figure out where you'll be living (or narrow it down to two place) and ring the firearms department.

Thanks,

Rick

An overseas visitors permit valid for up to one year can be arranged provided your country of residence is Poland. The application should be made from Poland, and the issuing FLD will want to know the purpose of the gun while here, ie, what shoot you are invited too, or what land you have rights on. Clayshooting CPSA competitions is sufficient purpose, and the CPSA will sponser you if you join them as an Overseas member.

If you are now declared as resident in the UK, you should apply for you SGC.

An overseas visitors permit valid for up to one year can be arranged provided your country of residence is Poland. The application should be made from Poland, and the issuing FLD will want to know the purpose of the gun while here, ie, what shoot you are invited too, or what land you have rights on. Clayshooting CPSA competitions is sufficient purpose, and the CPSA will sponser you if you join them as an Overseas member.

If you are now declared as resident in the UK, you should apply for you SGC.

Now, not wishing to upset anyone but giving out this information - is it right? If the person has a genuine reason to possess a gun in this country, then surely this will be investigated by the FLD and acted on appropriately - if not, then it will not be granted.

Giving away the information that is required in order to get a license seems daft, a lot like when people come on here and ask what they should put on their applications when they want rimfire, CF or Sec1 shotguns. If they NEED one, they will have the reason to put down on the form. if they DONT NEED one, they can come on here and ask for excuses as to why they should be granted one.

This is not an attack on anyone, just a point of discussion.

cheers.