Prince Philip gives BASC a pat on the back

webber

Niall,

I'll not get into the game of trading insults with you but I most certainly am not bonkers.

I have devoted most of my life to BASC and to the cause of promoting and protecting shooting. The actual time spent has varied a bit from year to year but, over the past 30 years it has certainly averaged at least 10 hours a week - say 15,000 hours (or the equivalent of 375 unpaid 40-hour weeks).

It's not always easy promoting and defending BASC (as can be seen from many of the posts on this Forum, and as is known by anyone who attends wildfowling club meetings anywhere in the country) but I believe it is worth doing as, without BASC, our sport would have much poorer prospects than it now has.

I guess I just get a wee bit touchy when I slave my guts out for BASC and the sport (as do many others) and a momentary lapse of common sense (such as with that press release or the recent £40 donation debacle or the appalling article in the last S&C that flew in the face of our "respect for quarry" agenda) threatens to undo all that we have been striving for.

Let's not forget that WAGBI was started to protect the sport of the ordinary working man and that is still the group from which BASC overwhelmingly gets its support.

Hope that helps explain.

Eric

I wonder if they asked him for £40 for the new building :lol:

David,

But why the fek did we have to issue a press release about it when anyone with an ounce of savvy knows that the vast majority of our members will be disgusted at the idea of BASC sucking up to the idle rich (and potential members certainly put off). Stanley Duncan must be turning in his grave.

Eric

Oh Oh the knockers are out in force...I venture to suggest that HRH puts more money into shooting than all the rest on here put together and as for the 'idle rich' & Stanley D who was the first president of WAGBI? One Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey was it not! Come on stop you're bickering we all have a common pleasure, shooting, lets all enjoy it! BASC do make some blunders but when all said and done they are the best placed organisation to defend our sports so stop knocking and support them.

And on another note. I only wish I was 'idle rich'...I'd be pigeon shooting every day :rolleyes:

Niall,

I'll not get into the game of trading insults with you but I most certainly am not bonkers.

I have devoted most of my life to BASC and to the cause of promoting and protecting shooting. The actual time spent has varied a bit from year to year but, over the past 30 years it has certainly averaged at least 10 hours a week - say 15,000 hours (or the equivalent of 375 unpaid 40-hour weeks).

It's not always easy promoting and defending BASC (as can be seen from many of the posts on this Forum, and as is known by anyone who attends wildfowling club meetings anywhere in the country) but I believe it is worth doing as, without BASC, our sport would have much poorer prospects than it now has.

I guess I just get a wee bit touchy when I slave my guts out for BASC and the sport (as do many others) and a momentary lapse of common sense (such as with that press release or the recent £40 donation debacle or the appalling article in the last S&C that flew in the face of our "respect for quarry" agenda) threatens to undo all that we have been striving for.

Let's not forget that WAGBI was started to protect the sport of the ordinary working man and that is still the group from which BASC overwhelmingly gets its support.

Hope that helps explain.

Eric

I would just like to say IMHO without the likes of your good self and I feel sure many others at BASC both paid and un paid who have worked for the common good of shooting in all its forms over the years and going forward, I doubt very much if we would stand a chance of holding onto traditional shooting grounds be it Saltings, foreshore, marsh, SSSI woodland arable or whatever,

The ability to appreciate the value of a collective voice and well placed knowledge seems un obtainable to some, and a dignified refusal to rise to such ignorance is well founded.

Niall,

It wasn't meant as an insult, more a mild wind up.

Seondly, thanks for all the work you've done on all out behalf over the years, seriously.

But...

a momentary lapse of common sense (such as with that press release

Have you read the press release?

"BASC’s patron for the last 41 years has been Prince Phillip, HRH the Duke of Edinburgh.He began his speech by thanking Coutts for allowing BASC to use

their London HQ for the reception. He then went on to say that he’d been “enormously impressed†by what had been achieved first by WAGBI, and then by

BASC over the last century."

“There is no question in my mind that this organisation has done a huge amount for the conservation of nature and for keeping up the morale of people who

like shooting and who like taking part in country sports, so all I can do is congratulate them again on having done so much wonderful work over the last

hundred years and hope they’ll do even better in the futureâ€.

At present we seem to be staggering from one PR disaster to another.

I just can't see what you're so annoyed about?

He's the Queen's husband and this is good publicity for the BASC. The more good press like this it generates the more

it'll be seen as the representative body for shooters in the UK.

Nial.

Pinkfooty,

(With tongue in cheek) You`re retired with a decent pension. Does`nt that make you one of the idle rich?

Nick.

Mr Horten,

Careful what you say "with tongue in cheek". Yes I am retired but my pension is well below the average working wage and I have no other source of income (apart from about £300 pa from writing fees). Idle? Well I spend most of my time working, unpaid, for shooting. But I choose to do that, so I can't complain (except when we lose even more of our shooting heritage as a result of depredations by commercial interests catering for the idle rich!).

:good: