Dog run ? Any tips ?

Lloyd90

Hoping to build a dog run for an Alsation. Will be waiting until the summer for the warmer weather before getting one but looking into it atm.

Any tips on building a dog run ? Dog wont be kept in the house :good: but I want it to be comfortable outside :good:

Have a very good size back garden but dont want to just leave the dog out to roam. Would appreciate tips and help ?

What kind of sleeping quarters are needed ? and sides ? and roof ? Also ways to keep the wind off ?

Appreciate any help :D

Kennel required, standard for keeping the dog out of the bad weather.

Big enough for your dog.

Run wise, 6ft high is standard so you can get in and clean it. about 10 to 12 ft long.

Timber frame for the run section, clad in galv mesh about 2inch square, you get the mesh in sheets. Have a quick google on dog runs mate and you can get kits.

or if you have a friendly joiner, they can knock it up for you.

I have a cocker, his run is 8ft long, 4ft wide and about 5 foot high. sloped roof over the run. Kenel is made from insulated ply clad board.

I bought mine from CANINE KENNELS, they're in Cheshire (not much use I realise) but they advertise nationally and in the dog papers.

Their designs are good so how about a brochure and base your run on their designs. Just a thought as you are still just looking into it!

I'd go for a metal run anyway as wood gets chewed and rots.

Hi imo the run

in sight of family traffic to keep the dogs interest during the day.

long and narrow as opp to square, gives more excercise.

Concrete floor for better cleaning and drainage, not slabs.

roofed for shade and protection when raining.

have a few feet of boarding up the sides to stop draughts.

if space permits a slightly raised sleeping platform in a sunny corner.

6ft headroom for ease of cleaning.

the kennel

4x4 min but not too big that the dog cannot get warm.

insulated if possible or least raise the bed.

site the bed away from draughts behind a baffle plate.

drop down night door for really bad weather.

consider the number of hours the dog will spend in its kennel alot of problems stem from boredom, a raw shin of beef bone keeps a dog occupied.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Rgds D2D

another shout for canine kennels. I was going to order one from reeves at a cost of £1600 fitted etc, Bearing in mind my dogs live mainly indoors. I bought a 6x4 shed and some galvanised panels from them totalling £270ish cracking kit and looks the part. hope this helps oh and next day delivery also! :angry:

i went for the cheap and cheerful method for the two pens i had to make. have you ever seen the galvanised metal fence sections around building sites? theyre about 12 ft long by 6ft high? well those are perfect to make a run. put stakes in the ground (metal iron bars, should slip up inside the steel tubes of the sections) to hold them steady and concrete them in as well; might need to put a beam across the top to add strength to the sides. can either leave a gap to make a permament gate or leave one of the sections so that it can swing open. ;)

simplest way ive found so far to make a pen if - its going to be permament anyway :lol:

• 1 month later...

No I do not have the dog yet, dont think I will be going ahead with it any time soon as with the current job market and such Im cracking on with my RAF application lol :sly:

Although maybe in a few years I will get one. My mate just got a new springer spaniel the other day and I am now hooked I think. What a brilliant looking and working dog, were off beating on a shoot on saturday so will see how it does :birthday:

Although when I leave the raf will defo be looking into getting one. (If not 2) :friends:

My cousin's newfriend/fiance happens to be a joiner :drinks: Might ask him for a hand to set something up haha :drinks:

No I do not have the dog yet, dont think I will be going ahead with it any time soon as with the current job market and such Im cracking on with my RAF application lol :sly:

Although maybe in a few years I will get one. My mate just got a new springer spaniel the other day and I am now hooked I think. What a brilliant looking and working dog, were off beating on a shoot on saturday so will see how it does :birthday:

Although when I leave the raf will defo be looking into getting one. (If not 2) :friends:

My cousin's newfriend/fiance happens to be a joiner :drinks: Might ask him for a hand to set something up haha :drinks:

WHEN YOU LEAVE THE RAF??? YOU ARE NOT EVEN IN YET!! NOT LOOKING TO DO A FULL CAREER THEN?

Think very hard before commiting to a dog while serving , I promised myself not before my 20 year point , and not before I have my own house, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 21 years done, own house and a 7 1/2 month old pointer!!

Plan carefully my friend as life within HMF is very bussy these days!!

WHEN YOU LEAVE THE RAF??? YOU ARE NOT EVEN IN YET!! NOT LOOKING TO DO A FULL CAREER THEN?

Think very hard before commiting to a dog while serving , I promised myself not before my 20 year point , and not before I have my own house, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 21 years done, own house and a 7 1/2 month old pointer!!

Plan carefully my friend as life within HMF is very bussy these days!!

I dont intend to commit to a dog whilst serving! That would just be mean to the dog. I don't know how long I want to serve mate. Maybe I will go for a full career. Maybe not. But I do know I wouldn't commit to a dog unless I had left so I defo had the time lol ???