Weather forecasting

MAJ2

What do you do the night before you go out decoying, (apart from that). Do you watch the local news for the weather forecast, look at the seaweed hanging up, ask Old Fred the local sage, or just take pot luck?

Personally, I log on to Metcheck. They're usually pretty accurate with their forecast.

All lot of us can go on particular days, times only & not able to choose the best.

Get ready the night before & in the morning see what it's like, no other option.

The times I've seen forcasts for the local area & It's been totaly the opposite, good or bad.

5 miles can make all the difference & I've know closer than 2 miles away can have different conditions.

The times I've gone lamping & left home in dry conditions, got there to find heavy rain only to come home & not see any rain all night, that shoot is on a high hill area by the way.

I dread to think how many times I've stayed in complaining of the weather & the sun may of been out a couple of miles away on my shoots.

Metcheck might work in your part of the country , but it does not in Norfolk. A couple of years i did a check on their forcasts 50 % right for the following day 10 % for 3 days , as for the next 5 days forget it.. The BBC onlne iis quite a bit better and the BBC countryfile one is not bad. I can never work out how you can get different forcast from each TV weatherman and sometimes the BBC main and local forcasts are quite different.

Today is a good example of metcheck at the present time 11.50.........18 - 22 mph north , its 2-3 mph north. 5 C ok thats right , 69% cloud ................. there is not a cloud in the sky , rain 0.2 mm ...........no rain. thats 3 out of 5 weather variables wrong , and thats for now.

A few weeks ago I was out and the local weather man on the radio was going on about what a lovely sunny warm day it was........It was heavy cold drizzle with a stiff north wind. The studio was only 10 miles away from where I was standing. Sometimes I think these guys should put their bit of paper down and just look out the window.

I recon the weathermen just sit down after a hard day on their computer and throw a set of dice to decide what tommorows weather will be. The odds are they will get it right occasionaly. Nowadays I prefer to see a proper weather chart and work it out for myself.

Edited by anser2