Ploughed fields?

Nial

Yes & no.

If wet you'll find birds don't like muddy feet, if dry then handy for grubbing for crows.

A few pigeon deeks might fool some to come & see what's on offer.

Not looking good but not completely hopeless.

Might be better to get some deeks close to a sitty tree or even farm building.

My nearest farm has the front yard full of allsorts at first light due to spilt grain but they leave as soon as they start bagging around 7.30.

If I do an early start I can get a very frantic 20/30 minutes at least in winter.

NO day out is a waste of time !! I often just walk carrying the gun and just observe , .

Having said that ploughed fields hold more feed than unploughed , insects are far more of a foodstuf than folk realise ,

A decoy patern set up on fresh plough will enable you to learn how the birds react and view flight lines , so when it is seeded you will be one step ahead ,

Besides a day in the fresh air will put coulor in your face and clear yopur lungs , what more can you ask ? Shooting is about more than the bag !! POW!

NO day out is a waste of time !! I often just walk carrying the gun and just observe , .

Having said that ploughed fields hold more feed than unploughed , insects are far more of a foodstuf than folk realise ,

A decoy patern set up on fresh plough will enable you to learn how the birds react and view flight lines , so when it is seeded you will be one step ahead ,

Besides a day in the fresh air will put coulor in your face and clear yopur lungs , what more can you ask ? Shooting is about more than the bag !! POW!

:(

I decided to give it a go but ended up with about 4 sporting chances in 3.5 hours and

missed them all!

At least I was walking about in the fresh air, I'm ready for a good afternoon of work and

I'll sleep well tonight.

I also tried out my cartridge belt bag that I got from everyone's favourite auction site

and that worked well. It's got two compartments which allows easy access to 50 cartridges

with room to carry the empties. (Or 100 cartridges).

Oh aye, at one point I was standing in a small coppice and three deer appeared

within 10 yards.

I also had my first double firing, with 32G loads this shook me up a bit!

Now to work....

Nial.

Edited by Nial

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest advantage a ploughed field has to offer is HIGH VISABILITY and at no other time of the fields life cycle will your decoys stand out more than on a ploughed / bare field . If the field is in the right position and you can put a big enough decoy pattern out there you should be able to grab their attention and bring them in close enough for a shot. As you gain more experience you will be able to get them to drop in right where you want them.

Couldn't agree with you more! Now I can't wait till my next day out after reading this...

I have had some good days shooting over ploughed fields especailly if they were ploughed the day before because it brings old grain and seed to the serface and pigeons will get on to it fast.

But then if there is something better that the birds have found then you wont get a bag.

Being a farmer I get to see alot of birds and see where they are feeding and what they are up to and I have found in the past that birds would rather go on to the freshly ploughed or cultivated field rather than a nice field of rape which is good for me and other farmers.