Many thanks for the Stalk and the venison.....

henry d

Recently I have had little time to myself due to my Granma being very ill and also trying to keep order here ! I had hoped to have a browse about today, after being busy at work etc to even get on much, and I saw all sorts of posts and threads I didn`t want to deal with.........

..........So I went stalking :o

I had watched a small family consisting of a mature doe and twins, one a doe and the other a buck and they seem to be staying in the same general area even when I was out pigeon shooting with Nial we were seeing her and the twins.

I walked the open fence sides and didn`t see any recent signs, so I went off on a detour to a cover crop of mustard that was in full sunlight as it faces south. After a good scan I could see nothing at all so I decided to walk a bank that faces north until I came to a rough patch and see if they were there.

I started off walking up over the small rise to take me onto the banking and then down to the dry stane dyke that I would follow to the rough patch and as luck would have it I looked to my left across to the adjacent stubble field and saw the three of them and mum had spotted me as I was at the top of the rise in open grassland :D

I slowly sank down until I was flat on my stomach, well as flat as my stomach will let me :drool: I then watched her until she started browsing and made a mental note of where she was compared to the bales in the field and then I crawled off the rise and down the bank until I was out of sight.

They were about 400yds away and I set off at a good steady pace. I got level to the bale and climbed the bank until I could see into the field and when I did I could see they were another 100yds away and going further away. I decided to go a lot further along as they would be 200 yds from the fenceline and after that was a ploughed field.

The next time I crested the top of the bank I saw they were still travelling towards the fence so I moved to within 80/100 yds of the fence and came up the bank again, but there were no bales close at hand, the nearest was 60yds out but the deer were facing away and almost at the fence. I decided to give it a whirl and made my way out to the nearest bale and stopped when they stopped and raised their heads.

I made the bale and my heart was bouncing so I stayed down for 30 seconds or so until my breathing slowed a bit. I looked over the bale and saw mum looking square at me, but even at 150yds she wasn`t too spooked and the kids were none the wiser. They both were walking down the fence and would pass, if I and mum let them, at around 80yds.

My heart was still slowing and twice I lowered the gun as I was still too wound up for a good shot. Eventually when the young doe was at around 120 yds I was in full control and I shot her. She staggered forward and her brother only moved as much as her, even mother didn`t do much but pricked her ears up trying to hear me.

She then fell a second or two later which spooked the others, but she still had her head up. I chambered another round and waited for her head to stop moving and I headshot her.

On gralloching her I had hit her lungs as both were burst and the heart was intact.

Go on, get out there, a bad day in the field is 10 times better than a good day in the office, or indeed in front of a computer screen.

post-1301-1229003904.jpg

Good report H, :drool: oh and well done. :D

I was out yesterday morn,saw a few(no shot) and heard 3 moving off behind some bushes which i left.

Later on at about 3-50pm i was looking over a fence into a small opening below(out squirreling with the shotty) and thinking "this would be a great place for a high seat" when the 3 from the morning came walking back into the wood from where they had lay up during the day..they ended up only 12yds away,before realising something was wrong and headed off from whence they came..quite calmly too.

Saw them in the same place while out lamping foxes last night too...

Can you guess where i,m going at 3 o clock :o

Just wondering, I really wana start shooting Deer and stuff and dont know how to start do you have any advice??

Use the search button, there`s loads of topics about it..........but start off with a bigger rifle :D

Can you guess where i,m going at 3 o clock :drool:

Time spent on reconnaisance (sp) is never wasted eh?