Roost Shooting?

I am very keen on a roost shoot and have had alot of success in a spinney on the area i shoot. What i want to ask is when do you move from the hide to the woods for the roost or when do you plan to get there for this time of year?

I have noticed when im near my spinney in a hide birds go to roost from 1:30 shows there is plenty of food about for them. I try to get to the spinney for 2:00 and get quite good results.Is it the same everywhere? Also whats your biggest bag for a roost?

Thanks

I try to get there just over an hour before it gets dark, at this time of year probably around 3.

My biggest pigeon bag was 12. But I've had a lot of 7-10 bags and this is great sport. My biggest ever bag roost shooting with 3 mates was 30 magpies, 4 pigeons and 2 grey crows.

Make sure it is windy on the night you go because if not it'll be a waste of time because the pigeons may be too high on their flight line and the sound of your shot will carry further.

I tend to find the best nights for roost shooting are when its blowing a gale.

Birds tend to funnel on their approach usually on the leeward side of the wood.

I simply tuck myself under this flightline and shoot what comes my way.

Last year I fired 80 cartridges in 20 mins and picked up 20 birds.

last week I fired 46 cartridges in 25 mins and picked up 17 birds. :oops:

Cant wait for the next gales now that the pheasant season is almost over.

EF

I must say that roost shooting is one of my favorite sports, i didn't think how greater wood i have for roost shooting until a few of you said a good bag is about 15 because last year there was me my grandad and my two friends went into this wood and had 168 in about 2 hours they literally flocked in and ignored the bangs altogether, i supose it does help having a 14 shot auto though. we try to get there and in position for about an hour and a half before dark because i have found if you go there to early then they find another wood to roost in, a tip i would say is find some were were there is a bit of thick tree coverage like ivey especially if it has been a cold day because pigeions love to burrow into it to keep warm and they eat the berries that grow there

Ahh Lets see.....(and I'm no expert on mathmatical equations) but..........168 birds in 2 hours (thats 120 minutes) averages 1.4 birds every minute, devide that by 4 for Hill BillyBullSh***er, his grandad and 2 buddies, add the 14 shot semi auto anti-aircraft gun into the equation, and there we have it..........one of the most amazing shooting legends of all time!!!

Maybe the BBC's Jackanory forum would allow you the opportunity to express fully, your haboured fantasy stories. :lol:

Paul in North Lincs.

What a load of bulls#it, my father and a mate shot 40 pigeons one evening last year roost shooting and they said that they hardly had time to breath. Now what would it be like shooting 160 odd birds :lol: .

If you allow for the missed pigeons which is usually higher than decoying they wouldn't have had time to shoot that many in 2 hours.